The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

mazor

Just a quick question about ISO on the EM1. Is there a way of tayloring how the auto ISO works with regards to low and shutter speeds. I find periodically over riding the auto ISO in favor of a lower ISO than Auto to get a higher quality image, where a faster shutter is not required. I know of settings for auto ISO low and high constraints.

=====
Update
=====

Ok I managed to find the solution. By changing the flash slow limit changes the shutter speed. What I found interesting was that the Auto ISO will use the flash low limit setting as long as you use the 12-40mm at 12mm. Apply zoom, and it will automatically increase the shutter accordingly up to 40mm. This indeed is clever, as with any tele focal length it can be harder to stabilize at slower shutter speeds.

Kudos Olympus on thinking of this :)

Last edited:

kweide

Batman´s end
What a difference a simple rubber mask can make to the scene

Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 45, no NR
ISO200 @ f1.8, 1/60 second, 45 mm focal length​

Godfrey

Apple has shipped a new version of Camera Raw, which includes support for the E-M1 .ORF files.

Go for it, Jono! :)

G

mazor

Olympus E-M1 with 12-40 pro

Really enjoying the handling of this camera combo. Out of camera JPG editing and cropping.

dhsimmonds

At last - now C1 and I'm happy ...

Kind regards.
As of this afterroon UK time, C1 still has no profiles for the EM-1. The profiles for the EM-5 were fairly quick after launch.

C1's Fuji X1Pro profiles were also very late but whereas most of the others including Adobe did not get their first releases right at all, C1 always seem to nail it first time when they do release a profile for a new camera.

I hope that it is soon now though!! :lecture:

Godfrey

I had the camera on a tripod this evening to do our annual holiday self-portrait. This is always a tricky thing as the lights tend to saturate, so I run -EV compensation and soft ambient lighting to bring it up. Exposures with the ZD 11-22 @ 11mm were in the ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 4-5 seconds range.

After four blurry shots, using both SAF and MF focusing, I was beginning to wonder what had gone wrong with the camera.
Then it dawned on me ... I turned off IS. The next two captures were razor sharp.

So ... they mean it when they recommend turning off IS for tripod use. It might not affect you in some other lens/exposure time range as much, but it was clearly the problem here.

Happy Holidays!

Godfrey

Wandering through some photos made with the ZD 35 Macro, I came across some from the lighting at Pigeon Point Lighthouse made in 2010 using the Olympus E-5. What a wonderful bargain lens this is! Works just as nicely on the E-M1 as well.

Olympus E-5 + ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 30 seconds

thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

enjoy!

scott kirkpatrick

C1 now supports the E-M1

As of this evening (in Europe), Capture One 7.1.6 is available for download. It supports the E-M1, Sony alpha 7 and 7r and has "preliminary" support for the G7. I'll post a comparison of in camera jpg with COne developed files in a few minutes.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

in camera JPG vs developing the .ORF file

In camera JPegs are OK if the exposure is right on and the range doesn't exceed 8 stops but I seem to violate one or both of these limits pretty often. Now that I can develop the .orf files from my E-M1 with a tool that I sort of understand, let's see what I gain on a long-scale outdoor scene:

Before (JPEG pretty straight, just pulled the highlights back a bit to keep some tone in the sky):

and after (was able to be gentler with the sky, and get more life in the seascape; the extra color in the dunes just appeared like magic):

Now to see which already posted images need a little strengthening...

scott

PS: no sharpening applied to either image. E-M1 with 11-22 Zuiko at 22 mm.

etrigan63

My E-M1 hath arrived! I charged all three batteries and walked outside to give it a whirl.

Shot info and gear used in the border of the images.

JBurnett

Re: ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro

What a wonderful bargain lens this is! Works just as nicely on the E-M1 as well.
Lovely picture, Godfrey. In the early days of M-4/3 I would sometimes go for walks with just the 35 macro (on adapter) and the 17mm f/2.8. The 35 is fantastically sharp wide open. The 17 f/2.8 lens, not so much. I tended to treat them both like f/4 lenses. They made a great pair for a "walkabout" (albeit a bit slow).

I use the 45mm macro more often, now, but sometimes I miss the 35's FOV and perspective. I still use it (on my G1) when I volunteer to photograph artifacts for the local museum.