The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

monk

Today's offering of a Tawny Frogmouth not-muppet photo. Does anybody mind that I'm sneaking an EP5 shot into this thread? Olympus EP5, Lumix 35-100mm. 1/250, f/5.6, 1600. ORF converted in PhotoNinja.

etrigan63

I don't mind, Reverend.

Testing out a new tripod (Adorama Carbon Fiber 3pod) tonight with some long exposures on the E-M1 around the City of Coral Gables, FL.

Granada Fountain

Biltmore Hotel

Coral Gables Congregational Church

Alhambra Lighthouse

All taken with the brilliant M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 lens.

Godfrey

Yesterday morning's walk in the park was almost summer-hot temperature-wise, but the light was very harsh at winter angles, difficult to work with. Long lenses work better for me in these circumstances, and I went monochrome and mostly square as well ...

All: Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

greypilgrim

Yesterday morning's walk in the park was almost summer-hot temperature-wise, but the light was very harsh at winter angles, difficult to work with. Long lenses work better for me in these circumstances, and I went monochrome and mostly square as well ...

Hi Godfrey,
The last one really caught my eye.

Doug

Annna T

I like the mix of built environment and nature in these two. When one wants to show that kind of mix in our daily environment, composition often becomes a challenge, but these two work well in this respect.

That 75mm is great isn't it ? Why did you need to add an A7 ? I was tempted too, but didn't out of the fear that my lovely MFT outfit (and whealth of native lenses) would remain in a cupboard. Plus I already have a Canon 6D that would be more or less redundant with the A7.

All: Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8

Godfrey

Thanks Doug!

I like the mix of built environment and nature in these two. When one wants to show that kind of mix in our daily environment, composition often becomes a challenge, but these two work well in this respect.

That 75mm is great isn't it ? Why did you need to add an A7 ? I was tempted too, but didn't out of the fear that my lovely MFT outfit (and whealth of native lenses) would remain in a cupboard. Plus I already have a Canon 6D that would be more or less redundant with the A7.
And thanks Annna too!

The motivation behind acquiring the Sony A7 is simply that I have these lovely Leica R and Nikkor lenses ... While I use them adapted to the E-M1 occasionally, I find the native mFT and FT lenses are more suited to this camera. These lenses are too nice to go to waste, they need a 24x36mm format camera to get the most out of them IMO. Since there are no Leica R digital cameras, and I don't have any Nikon DSLRs to adapt the Leica lenses to, I figure the A7 body may work for both. And the larger format is better for pinhole/zone plate photography too.

I'm eager to see how it works out, but don't mistake it: the E-M1 is my primary camera now, and will get the most use.

etrigan63

Nice shots Godfrey. Quick question: what is your recipe for B&W conversion? I noticed a slight tint to the shots, but I cannot put my finger on it.

Godfrey

Nice shots Godfrey. Quick question: what is your recipe for B&W conversion? I noticed a slight tint to the shots, but I cannot put my finger on it.
Thanks Carlos!

The rendering is part of a workflow process which I'll describe.

I have about five or six LR B&W conversion templates I developed myself to use as starting points. Each of them is somewhat different but uses a similar idea pattern: a reduction of saturation across the color channels with differing luminance curves in the HSL panel coupled with a set of starter Tone Curve settings ranging from mild to pathological. I'll sometimes import a batch of photos, make five virtual copies, and apply a different one of the presets to each to see what is exposed with each.

Once I have a basic rendering that lets me see in the eye that I was shooting with in a given session, I do grade and pick to limit the choices down to the "interesting" picks in the set. Those move into a Collection so I can focus on them.

Once there, I tune and tweak each image so that the entire set is roughly equal in tonal weight and luminance. I do my final grade and pick at this point, do the finish editing. I have a selection of warming presets, from very light to very heavy, implemented with the Split Tone panel. I apply one if I feel that a tone adds to the visualization of my intent.

httivals

I have experimented with various B & W conversion workflows over the years, including lightroom or photoshop presets. After trying/acquiring Silver FX pro I quickly determined that using any other process was a waste of my time. It makes conversions very easy and, IMHO, does an excellent job, generally better than I can achieve using another workflow and 3x as much time/effort.

JMaher

A friend asked me to take some photos of his model train setup before he took it down for the year.

Jim

Annna T

Thanks Doug!

And thanks Annna too!

The motivation behind acquiring the Sony A7 is simply that I have these lovely Leica R and Nikkor lenses ... While I use them adapted to the E-M1 occasionally, I find the native mFT and FT lenses are more suited to this camera. These lenses are too nice to go to waste, they need a 24x36mm format camera to get the most out of them IMO. Since there are no Leica R digital cameras, and I don't have any Nikon DSLRs to adapt the Leica lenses to, I figure the A7 body may work for both. And the larger format is better for pinhole/zone plate photography too.

I'm eager to see how it works out, but don't mistake it: the E-M1 is my primary camera now, and will get the most use.
Reading you, you got an A7 for the same reason i didn't get one :) : apparently my 21 & 28mmm Zeiss Contax G lenses won't perform very well on it. They will not only get magenta corners, but also smeared corners. I'm rather happy using the 45mm and 90mm on MFT bodies (the 90mm makes a great 180mm and the 45mm is stunning (much sharper than my 45mm F1.8 Olympus). But i would have liked to use the 21&28mm as the wide angle they are. The 21mm in particular was stunning on film. But the A7 clearly won't play well as a digital back for the Zeiss glass i have. Too bad for me, but better for my wallet..

Godfrey

Reading you, you got an A7 for the same reason i didn't get one :) : apparently my 21 & 28mmm Zeiss Contax G lenses won't perform very well on it. They will not only get magenta corners, but also smeared corners. I'm rather happy using the 45mm and 90mm on MFT bodies (the 90mm makes a great 180mm and the 45mm is stunning (much sharper than my 45mm F1.8 Olympus). But i would have liked to use the 21&28mm as the wide angle they are. The 21mm in particular was stunning on film. But the A7 clearly won't play well as a digital back for the Zeiss glass i have. Too bad for me, but better for my wallet..
Funny, that. :)

A mount adapter showed up yesterday. I fitted the Summicron-R 90mm to the A7 in the few moments I had free. Snapped a couple of test frames. It fits surprisingly well, the balance is no more off than my M4-P+90/2 was years ago. Focuses smoothly and easily. I might want the grip for use with 135 and 180 mm lenses. The E-M1 is lighter, faster, more responsive handling ... Kind of the difference between working with the Nikon FE2+MD-12 vs Leicaflex SL in film camera days.

This is going to be fun!

scott kirkpatrick

The 45 and 90 are Zeiss? The 75/1.8 m.Zuiko is really awesome, the 45/1.8 m.Zuiko (rumored to be actually designed at Konika) is not as sharp, but looks very nice as well. How do yours compare? But I have not heard anyone happy with full frame support of 28, 24, 21 and 18(!!) lenses except those using the M9, M240 and that bizarre Ricoh unit that takes an M bayonet mount. And those (well, we) still grumble... I have an ancient Canon thread-mount 19/3.5 that no present digital platform can get a good picture from, yet it focuses on an M rangefinder so I would like to use it.

scott

Godfrey

The 45 and 90 are Zeiss? The 75/1.8 m.Zuiko is really awesome, the 45/1.8 m.Zuiko (rumored to be actually designed at Konika) is not as sharp, but looks very nice as well. How do yours compare? But I have not heard anyone happy with full frame support of 28, 24, 21 and 18(!!) lenses except those using the M9, M240 and that bizarre Ricoh unit that takes an M bayonet mount. And those (well, we) still grumble... I have an ancient Canon thread-mount 19/3.5 that no present digital platform can get a good picture from, yet it focuses on an M rangefinder so I would like to use it.

scott
Soon as the adapter gets here, I'll test the Ultron 28/2 on the A7. I've heard it does well. Similarly, I've got an Elmarit-R 24/2.8 on the way that I'll test on the A7 too.

The M.Zuiko 75mm is just superb on the E-M1. :)

G