The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

jonoslack

Some more spring with EM1 and 75-300II ....

Meanwhile I start loving this lens.
HI Peter
Lovely spring shots.

I had the 75-300 mark 1, and although it was very useful, I didn't think it was that great at 300 and infinity (which was rather the point). The 80-200 f4 Leica on the other hand IS good at 200mm and infinity - it's very good!

I have high hopes for the 40-150, and the 300 f4 - we shall see!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Peter
Lovely spring shots.

I had the 75-300 mark 1, and although it was very useful, I didn't think it was that great at 300 and infinity (which was rather the point). The 80-200 f4 Leica on the other hand IS good at 200mm and infinity - it's very good!

I have high hopes for the 40-150, and the 300 f4 - we shall see!
Jono,

many thanks!

I am using the 75-300II with mixed results/feelings. In many occasions it draws pretty excellent at 300, but you never can predict. This is maybe due to AF not always spot on or also sometimes depending on light and subject you can see that its optical construction is not the very best.

Definitely it is no pro grade lens and my hope is also for those lenses to come!

dhsimmonds

I had the 75-300 mark 1, and although it was very useful, I didn't think it was that great at 300 and infinity (which was rather the point).
Hi Jono and Peter

If you get a chance to borrow, beg or steal:)eek:) a Panasonic 100-300 lens you should try it. I also have an mZuiko 75-300 Mk 2 and in my opinion the panasonic beats it every time in sharpness throughout the zoom range, fast and positive AF and it's also a faster aperture lens.

It has only one problem, which is also common with many long zooms and that is lens creep which can be a bit niggling at times. As an optical tool for long reach work it is superior to the Oly in my experience, that is until the mZuiko f4 300 prime is available! ;)

Annna T

Hi Jono and Peter

If you get a chance to borrow, beg or steal:)eek:) a Panasonic 100-300 lens you should try it. I also have an mZuiko 75-300 Mk 2 and in my opinion the panasonic beats it every time in sharpness throughout the zoom range, fast and positive AF and it's also a faster aperture lens.

It has only one problem, which is also common with many long zooms and that is lens creep which can be a bit niggling at times. As an optical tool for long reach work it is superior to the Oly in my experience, that is until the mZuiko f4 300 prime is available! ;)
It is a lottery with those Panasonic 100-300mm I have a very bad copy which isn't able to focus at infinite when the focal length is longer than 250mm. I sent it back to Panasonic, but they returned it as is, saying that the lens was inside of specifications. The lens is nice up to 200mm. Compared to the Olympus it is quite heavier, so unless you need stabilization in the lens, you won't gain much. Wait for the long "pro" zoom announced by Olympus, that should make a difference.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Jono and Peter

You may be right - it is always kind of love and hate relationship I have to my 75-300II. Sometimes results are great at 300, in most cases they are unsharp. First I thought this would be lens shake but it also occurs on tripod.

SO I will get and try a 100-300 to figure out if it works better. I know a shop in Vienna, where I can test the lens and if it is ok, I can buy that sample. This should do with the lens variations :cool:

Paratom

You may be right - it is always kind of love and hate relationship I have to my 75-300II. Sometimes results are great at 300, in most cases they are unsharp. First I thought this would be lens shake but it also occurs on tripod.

SO I will get and try a 100-300 to figure out if it works better. I know a shop in Vienna, where I can test the lens and if it is ok, I can buy that sample. This should do with the lens variations :cool:
I once compared 75-300 (first version) to 100-300 and decided for th 100-300 because I felt it to show more consistent IQ. Its larger though, but it is also faster at most focal lengths.
However I admit I dont use it. Most times it would the the 35-100/2.8 because for my purpose its enough focal length, its smaller and faster.

Elderly

Don't ever trust a Jackdaw to construct a bed for you.
Bizarrely the eggshell is a hen's, which they must have
taken from our compost heap and put back down the chimney!

benroy

Subscriber Member
Using the Oly 75-300VII (with OMD). Nice to see others enjoying this lens...it isn't fast...it's largely a bright light lens, but I find it renders fine detail very well...especially in the 75-180 range. Here are pics taken along my backyard fence...that's my venue...not an apology, that's all I have time for. I made 11x17s of each of these images before posting...they were nice and sharp.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I've been putting a lot of time into shooting with the A7 lately, but yesterday I decided to pull out the E-M1 and take my walk in the park with it.

This camera is just so darn good, the viewfinder is the best EVF available today and the image stabilization is just amazing. It's responsive and quiet. I fitted the Macro-Elmarit 45 and just enjoyed myself with it...

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Annna T

Godfrey,

The plant details are just excellent. I love the photos and the processing.

Jim
Plus one : that is a great series and I love both the framing, the sharpness and the contrasty tones, much more than the trees & benches series.

kweide

Just a look
I got a lot of question on my "Dark Series" made with her and as an answer, YES
here is one in color. Just a touch of color and a special look of Sepia as well.
Hope you will enjoy as well.

Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 75 f1.8, noNR
ISO 650 @ f2.0, 1/60 second, 75 mm focal length​