The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

f6cvalkyrie

From the Canon booth at "Imaging Days" in Brussels, this nice model ...

Shot with my E-M1, of course :cool::cool:

CU,
Rafael

mazor

More focus stacking with the E-M1. It is so simple, enable and set up focus stacking, enable bracketing and shoot. The camera does all the work combining and aligning the bracketed images.

Lady bug

Ice formation

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Technically, this is fun, isn't it, and there is an E-M1 involved, right? I've always wanted to try this combo (E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 in 4/3 mount), and when a 13,000 click body appeared for less than $500 at the shop where I'm currently selling my D810 and 200-500mm (long story, I'm not leaving Nikon), the temptation became too much.

I still have a functional GH1 and the more or less unused GM5, and will probably buy the Samyang fisheye later. Apart from that, time will show. A Speed Booster for the OM lenses may be in the cards :D

mazor

If you want to have some fun with adapted lenses on the E-M1, I found this combo works really well.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57479351

It may not have the range of a four thirds 14-50, but for those who wants narrow depth of field on their m43, this is definitely the way to go. Love how this lens combo, has near perfect autofocus on the E-M1

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you want to have some fun with adapted lenses on the E-M1, I found this combo works really well.

Adapted Sigma EF DC 18-35mm Art f1.8 to m43: Adapted Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It may not have the range of a four thirds 14-50, but for those who wants narrow depth of field on their m43, this is definitely the way to go. Love how this lens combo, has near perfect autofocus on the E-M1
It's a combo I've been thinking about, particularly since that lens would be useful on my Nikon DX bodies. If I should choose something around that range only for the E-M1, I would rather go for the Zuiko 14-35mm f/2.0 4/3. The lens is somewhat more expensive, but of stellar quality, and there's no need for a Speed Booster. The 14-35mm will also AF with the E-M1.

Last edited:

mazor

It's a combo I've been thinking about, particularly since that lens would be useful on my Nikon DX bodies. If I should choose something around that range only for the E-M1, I would rather go for the Zuiko 14-35mm f/2.0 4/3. The lens is somewhat more expensive, but of stellar quality, and there's no need for a Speed Booster. The 14-35mm will also AF with the E-M1.
true, different application for different lenses. The zuiko 14-35 has larger range, and also is able to c-af on the E-M1.

The Sigma 18-35 with speed booster becomes a 13-25 f1.2. Sigma can only S-AF but will work best in low light, plus the faster aperture allows narrower depth of field.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
true, different application for different lenses. The zuiko 14-35 has larger range, and also is able to c-af on the E-M1.

The Sigma 18-35 with speed booster becomes a 13-25 f1.2. Sigma can only S-AF but will work best in low light, plus the faster aperture allows narrower depth of field.
Both? :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Seriously, I think the Sigma (that I shouldn't buy) on the D5500 that I haven't bought yet (and shouldn't buy) and the Zuiko (that I shouldn't buy as well) on the E-M1.

These are two seriously good lenses, and would be extremely interesting to try out and compare.

Godfrey

Technically, this is fun, isn't it, and there is an E-M1 involved, right? I've always wanted to try this combo (E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 in 4/3 mount), and when a 13,000 click body appeared for less than $500 at the shop where I'm currently selling my D810 and 200-500mm (long story, I'm not leaving Nikon), the temptation became too much.

I still have a functional GH1 and the more or less unused GM5, and will probably buy the Samyang fisheye later. Apart from that, time will show. A Speed Booster for the OM lenses may be in the cards :D
The E-M1 + MMF-3 works beautifully with all my FourThirds SLR lenses: ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5 (my favorite!), ZD 25/2.8, ZD 35/3.5 Macro, and ZD 50-200/2.8-3.5 (v1). It also works beautifully with the latter two and the EC-14, and the 50-200 with the EX-25 as well. Autofocus is fast and accurate with all of them, actually faster and more accurate than they are with the E-1 (which I still have).

(I sold my Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH and Vario-Elmarit-D 14-50/2.8-3.5 ASPH OIS when I sold the L1s and the bulk of the E-5 kit some years back. The 11-22, 25/2.8, and 35 Macro are the same lenses I bought new, I re-acquired the 50-200, EC-14, and EX-25 after I got the E-M1. I replaced the Summilux-D with the Summilux-DG, which is almost literally half the size and weight of the FT lens.)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The E-M1 + MMF-3 works beautifully with all my FourThirds SLR lenses: ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5 (my favorite!), ZD 25/2.8, ZD 35/3.5 Macro, and ZD 50-200/2.8-3.5 (v1). It also works beautifully with the latter two and the EC-14, and the 50-200 with the EX-25 as well. Autofocus is fast and accurate with all of them, actually faster and more accurate than they are with the E-1 (which I still have).

(I sold my Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH and Vario-Elmarit-D 14-50/2.8-3.5 ASPH OIS when I sold the L1s and the bulk of the E-5 kit some years back. The 11-22, 25/2.8, and 35 Macro are the same lenses I bought new, I re-acquired the 50-200, EC-14, and EX-25 after I got the E-M1. I replaced the Summilux-D with the Summilux-DG, which is almost literally half the size and weight of the FT lens.)

G
The Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH is one lens I would really like to have, but the price is prohibitive even now, mostly from $800-1,200. The good 4/3-lenses are some of the best ever made, and I much prefer these optically corrected lenses to the m4/3-lenses that are mostly corrected in software.

mazor

G
I too have the 50-200 (v1) and it has performed superbly on the E-M1. I have heard alot of good things about the summilux-D 25/1.4. Some say it is better than the newer DG version, not sure why though.

mazor

Both? :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Seriously, I think the Sigma (that I shouldn't buy) on the D5500 that I haven't bought yet (and shouldn't buy) and the Zuiko (that I shouldn't buy as well) on the E-M1.

These are two seriously good lenses, and would be extremely interesting to try out and compare.
Alot of GAS for your shopping list!

If Panny Leica had brought out this zoom combo, they would have called it a vario nocticron. Not sure if there ever has been a f1.2 zoom lens before.

Godfrey

The Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH is one lens I would really like to have, but the price is prohibitive even now, mostly from $800-1,200. The good 4/3-lenses are some of the best ever made, and I much prefer these optically corrected lenses to the m4/3-lenses that are mostly corrected in software.
I too have the 50-200 (v1) and it has performed superbly on the E-M1. I have heard alot of good things about the summilux-D 25/1.4. Some say it is better than the newer DG version, not sure why though.
Having owned and used both lenses extensively, they are both exceptional performers and they do render slightly differently one to the other. The Summilux-D 25mm also has the embedded lens correction that the Summilux-DG 25mm has: the Summilux and other Panasonic/Leica FT SLR lenses were developed just about the same time that Olympus/Panasonic had completed the Micro-FourThirds lens protocol specification, and all the Panasonic FourThirds lenses except for the original Vario-Elmarit-D 14-50/2.8-3.5 ASPH were equipped with the lens correction parameters in the lens firmware. I noticed this immediately when I was shooting with both the L1 SLR and the G1 mFT bodies: with the G1, I didn't need to do any lateral chromatic aberration correction with this lens where with the L1 it needed just a little touch of that correction to produce identical results.

Note that Olympus always supplied lens correction software for ALL of its E-System lenses, including the Super-High-Grade models, in their raw conversion program. The E-M1 has that entire software correction library built into its internal JPEG processing engine as well.

(Off-topic a little, but the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH, only available in mFT mount, is so well corrected that its firmware supplies null correction parameters and it shows not a hint of lateral, longitudinal, or rectilinear aberrations. It is without a doubt my favorite mFT lens.)

Processed with dcraw (which does not honor mFT lens corrections), I can say that both Summilux 25s are extremely well-corrected optically and have only minor need of software correction in any event. They simply render slightly differently ... kind of like the difference between an M system's 'Lux 35 v2 and v3 lenses.

The Summilux-D 25mm was indeed a very special and expensive lens when I bought it in 2007-2008, and a wonderful match to the E-1, E-5, L1, and G1 (with adapter). The only 25mm lens for FourThirds that could be considered as even slightly better performing was the ZD 14-35mm f/2, and it was twice the size, twice the weight, and three times the price...

Ah, the good old days of FourThirds SLRs. :)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for a great writeup, Godfrey. Seen from an economic point of view, I should probably stick with my 14-50 for now, possibly add the Zuiko 75mm later, then the PanaLeica 45mm Macro and/or the 25mm f/1.4, either version. I was very close to buying a Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for m4/3, but decided against it. Now I see that the Zuiko 8mm fisheye for 4/3 has become reasonably priced. It's much more expensive than the Samyang, but presumably also of higher quality, so I might aim for that lens now.

I've never owned a fisheye before, but see some interesting perspectives that should be explored :)