The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
By the look of them they've little confidence departure is anytime soon ...
They were probably just worried that our boat, which looked even worse than theirs, would sink on its way out of the harbour :)
It did take us safely the 6 hour journey up the river to Mrauk U though.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm still editing the images from my latest Myanmar trip, photos from the unloved E-M1/40-150 combo at the moment. I do have to say that, in spite of me not liking any of them much, they do deliver sharp, saturated photos. Very sharp and very detailed, and the 40-150 is extremely versatile with its 56-420mm range (including TC). But a lens that suits this camera even better is the PanaLeica 14-50mm, which is the lens used here. It's not only sharp etc. etc., but makes the photos come alive.

E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm and f/5

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jorgen,

I must say I do not understand why the EM1 plus 40-150 is an unloved combo for you. For me this is an absolute dream combo and the main reason (if not the only reason) why I still stay in m43 territory. Add the TC and it gets even better. Add the battery grip and this is like in heaven.

I only can assume that the new EM1m2 would be an even better dream fit for this lens!

And as you say, this lens on the EM1 always delvers. So what is it you complain about?

Best regards

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,

I must say I do not understand why the EM1 plus 40-150 is an unloved combo for you. For me this is an absolute dream combo and the main reason (if not the only reason) why I still stay in m43 territory. Add the TC and it gets even better. Add the battery grip and this is like in heaven.

I only can assume that the new EM1m2 would be an even better dream fit for this lens!

And as you say, this lens on the EM1 always delvers. So what is it you complain about?

Best regards

Peter
I have the battery grip, the strap and the TC :D

It's getting better, but I still struggle with the ergonomics of the E-M1; the off/on switch that is in the wrong place, the stupid switch on the right side that is sometimes in the wrong position and all the trash that becomes visible in the viewfinder once I touch a button of some kind. And the useless auto ISO.

I've also found that face detection is far superior with Panasonic cameras, even the GM5, which is very helpful when doing quick portraits.

Still, I will keep it. It's cheap and good value.

When it comes to the lens, I'll probably change it to the yet to be released PanaLeica 50-200mm f/2.8-4 or the PanaLeica 100-400mm. While the Zuiko is sharp all over and extremely versatile, it lacks the microcontrast and definition of lenses like the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 (4/3). Although nobody but me will know, it annoys me when I do the post processing. The lack of definition limits how much I can lift the shadows, since I have to add more sharpening with the Zuiko. One solution could also be to buy the excellent Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 and the Zuiko 150mm f/2.0 (4/3). Time will show.

I have the same kind of relationship to this lens as I had to the Nikkor 200-500mm. Sharp lenses both of them that do the job, but they lack the ooomph that I'm looking for. The PanaLeica 14-50 is the only zoom lens where I've never felt any need for sharpening in post. It's that good.

Yes, I know I'm weird :loco:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have the battery grip, the strap and the TC :D

It's getting better, but I still struggle with the ergonomics of the E-M1; the off/on switch that is in the wrong place, the stupid switch on the right side that is sometimes in the wrong position and all the trash that becomes visible in the viewfinder once I touch a button of some kind. And the useless auto ISO.

I've also found that face detection is far superior with Panasonic cameras, even the GM5, which is very helpful when doing quick portraits.

Still, I will keep it. It's cheap and good value.

When it comes to the lens, I'll probably change it to the yet to be released PanaLeica 50-200mm f/2.8-4 or the PanaLeica 100-400mm. While the Zuiko is sharp all over and extremely versatile, it lacks the microcontrast and definition of lenses like the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 (4/3). Although nobody but me will know, it annoys me when I do the post processing. The lack of definition limits how much I can lift the shadows, since I have to add more sharpening with the Zuiko. One solution could also be to buy the excellent Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 and the Zuiko 150mm f/2.0 (4/3). Time will show.

I have the same kind of relationship to this lens as I had to the Nikkor 200-500mm. Sharp lenses both of them that do the job, but they lack the ooomph that I'm looking for. The PanaLeica 14-50 is the only zoom lens where I've never felt any need for sharpening in post. It's that good.

Yes, I know I'm weird :loco:
I understand that the PanaLeica zooms (50-200 and 100-400) should have better micro contrast and colors and everything, hey end of the day these are Leica designs. And you get what you pay for.

But this means 2 separate lenses instead 1, that would restrict me at least to go this route.

Of course if I would go with the PanaLeica lenses I would also stay 100% Panasonic, maybe even with the upcoming GH5. Main reason because then all functionality would be guaranteed, which is not the case if you mount PanaLeica glass on Olympus cameras - shame on both of them for not making full compatibility.

Only thing for me is that I am currently on total hold for buying any new m43 gear, as I became sooooo HAPPY with Fuji recently :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Weird ? Nah ... :LOL:
Yeah, that kind of weird :cool:

Sometimes, I have to remind myself about those HiFi nuts I used to know way back in another time and age. Never mind their insanely expensive gear that sometimes sounded good, but that was also often fragile, and always due for replacement. But the guy with the "listening cap" that kept his ears in the best angle in relation to the loudspeakers, and the one who had all the 20 albums that was worth listening to, and only those, not because of the music that was on them, but because of the sound quality, and he who had a power amp that was so strong that somebody had to be sent down to the basement to hold a finger on each of the main circuit breakers when the devilish device was turned on in his 6 square meter room... no, I'll never become weird like that.

But that 150mm looks tempting, and I'm sure that if I could afford it, I would buy the APO Summicron 50 and an M-D, even though the photos that I take with the GM5 are probably just as good as whatever I'd wring out of that Leica.

Knorp

But that 150mm looks tempting, and I'm sure that if I could afford it, I would buy the APO Summicron 50 and an M-D, even though the photos that I take with the GM5 are probably just as good as whatever I'd wring out of that Leica.
First define "just as good" :lecture:
A good picture is a good picture, "whatever you use".
But I promise you there's definitely a distinct difference between "whatever you try" and that Leica.
Not mentioning the lens ...

As ever YMMV ... :rolleyes:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Answering in general to some theories coming up here again and again ....

1) one simply could also make great pictures when using bottle grounds - so lets get this argument out of the way first

2) it definitely makes much, Much, MUCH more fun to use the right tools for whatever you do (I cannot wait to turn on my Naim NAP 500 High End Amplifier again) and YES, I still can hear AND FEEL the differences to whatever other system even at my age and even not sitting in exact listening position :cool:

3) coming back to cameras I clearly can see the differences between plastic lenses or entry level ones and high end glass (or sometimes called pro glass) AND I CAN FEEL IT!

4) in general high end lenses and special purpose lenses are MUCH better suited for a certain task than whatever garbage bottle ground lenses - and I still keep seeing and feeling the differences even at my age :D

5) almost every camera system has both sides (low end and high end glass) maybe with the only exception being Leica almost only offering high end glass - and high end glass also delivers usually better results at least if used properly

6) I only can wish everybody who no longer can feel and see these differences to be able to wake up again and not remain in this state till end of life - because you are missing life :D

PS: and yes, the Zuiko 2/150 as well as 2.8/40-150 belong for sure to this group of finest lenses available today!

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
First define "just as good" :lecture:
A good picture is a good picture, "whatever you use".
But I promise you there's definitely a distinct difference between "whatever you try" and that Leica.
Not mentioning the lens ...

As ever YMMV ... :rolleyes:
"Just as good" when it comes to story telling. When it comes to artistic value, not so much, and since the artistic value influences on the ability to tell a story, I'm back to square one. I mention that particular Leica combo because it's what I dream of and because I know that I could live with that singe camera body with that single lens forever, without any need for whatever new f/0.8 superwideangletelephotomacrozoom that is brought to the market. But since I can't afford the Summicrom APO and one of those German rangefinder bodies, I keep working on my skills instead and I keep trying to find lenses and cameras that are as good as possible, based on my weird criteria and my limited financial abilities.

Unfortunately, the goal posts keep being moved by new technology, but fortunately, I enjoy that game, so I keep moving too, with my squirrel brain and old, tired legs :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One of my favourite travel activities is to get out before sunrise and walk down an unknown road, at least unknown to me, for an hour or so, before returning to the hotel for breakfast. This is from such a walk at Mrauk U in the Rakhine State of Myanmar, and the road is the main road towards the next town and ultimately towards Yangon.

E-M1 with Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 with 1.4x TC @ 155mm and f/4

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This lens... this lens might be my greatest photographic tool ever. Every layer of depth is rendered just the way I want it, with a perfect degree of sharpness or softness, making each layer stand out a a separate element of the story.

Last edited:

Knorp

Oh c'mon, Jørgen ! You're just trying to convince yourself you don't want that Oly 25/1.2 ... :p

jonoslack

This lens... this lens might be my greatest photographic tool ever. Every layer of depth is rendered just the way I want it, with a perfect degree of sharpness or softness, making each layer stand out a a separate element of the story.

Fascinating
Kitz Valves is something I used to sell (many years ago!)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Have you got it Bart?
What I have got is the 12-100 f4 - an interesting lens (to say the least).

anybody else bitten?
I'm sure it's good... from an objective point of view. But I never was very objective :)

Would be nice trying it though, and compare with my lovely, old PL 14-50.

Elderly

anybody else bitten?
Not bitten but I'm swimming around waiting to see if the PL 12-60 bait looks tastier.

If I could only have one meal on my travels then the Olympus 12-100 would be the one,
BUT if the PL 50-200 ever drops into the water, the two PL lenses would make my ideal two course meal.

I (and I'm sure all the others here) are waiting to see/hear your impressions of the 12-100 Jono :angel: