The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM-1 Trying to Control my Spending

etrigan63

I too am trying to acquire the E-M1 on a limited budget. I have an old Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 adapted lens, but I wanted to get a m4/3 lens for starters. I will eventually get the 12-40 & 40-150, but I was contemplating the 17mm f/1.8 for walkabout purposes. Any comments on that lens?

retow

60mm, the long end of the zoo is too close to the 45mm. If macro is not important, have a look at the excellent, inexpensive Sigma 60, otherwise the Olympus 60mm.

Brian Mosley

[ QUOTE=etrigan63;550180]I too am trying to acquire the E-M1 on a limited budget. I have an old Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 adapted lens, but I wanted to get a m4/3 lens for starters. I will eventually get the 12-40 & 40-150, but I was contemplating the 17mm f/1.8 for walkabout purposes. Any comments on that lens?[/QUOTE]

I was put off the 17mm f1.8 for a while based on negative reports of lack of sharpness by early reviewers, and the fact I'd bought the X100 (which I still have - can't bear to let it go)... however now I've got it as part of the E-P5 kit I've been steadily getting more impressed with it. I love the 35mm perspective and it's been a great performer for me.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

The lenses I've bought specifically for the E-M1 are the Summilux 25/1.4, the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, and the Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8. That's my basic three prime kit (equivalent 28-50-90). The wide converter nets a 10.5mm small lens with the 14 as well. That's 90% or more of my use.

Other stuff will come along, I'm sure, but that's enough to keep me pretty busy. :)

G

benroy

Subscriber Member
Jim: most of the zooms mentioned are comparatively long and heavy...if you want to travel light, I would recommend the 25/1.4, the 45/2.8 macro, and the 75/1.8...

Roy Benson

The lenses I've bought specifically for the E-M1 are the Summilux 25/1.4, the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, and the Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8. That's my basic three prime kit (equivalent 28-50-90). The wide converter nets a 10.5mm small lens with the 14 as well. That's 90% or more of my use.

Other stuff will come along, I'm sure, but that's enough to keep me pretty busy. :)

G
Hi Godfrey

Have you experienced any aperture chatter using the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 on the EM1?

Thanks
Paul

Brian Mosley

Hi Paul,

I don't know how the chatter compares with earlier bodies, since I've only used the 25mm f1.4 briefly on the E-M1, but it's certainly noticeable. Noisy aperture blades. You'd probably get used to it over time.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

Have you experienced any aperture chatter using the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 on the EM1?
It's funny but no, none yet. Haven't even gotten an opportunity to try the fix (turn off flicker reduction).

I did get some out of the Macro-Elmarit 45 on my walk with it, when I was walking through the tunnel under the Coleman Street bridge. But not otherwise. Didn't think to try the fix then either...

I'm pretty happy with this lens kit. I know I'll want a dedicated longer lens option eventually to take advantage of AF etc, but for the moment I'm content to just shoot and not spend more.

G

It's funny but no, none yet. Haven't even gotten an opportunity to try the fix (turn off flicker reduction).

I did get some out of the Macro-Elmarit 45 on my walk with it, when I was walking through the tunnel under the Coleman Street bridge. But not otherwise. Didn't think to try the fix then either...

I'm pretty happy with this lens kit. I know I'll want a dedicated longer lens option eventually to take advantage of AF etc, but for the moment I'm content to just shoot and not spend more.

G
Thank You Godfrey and Brian

I'm not exactly sure what causes aperture chatter. It seems to occur with Panasonic glass mounted on Olympus bodies and in shooting modes which allow the camera to control the aperture (e.g. program or shutter priority). If that is true, would not shooting in aperture priority prevent it from chattering?

I have been considering an EM-1 to replace my ancient G1 and it's kind of disheartening to hear some Panasonic optics aperture chatter (25mm, 45mm macro) and some color fringe with bright light sources in the frame (7-14mm and 20mm). http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

Since all my glass is Panasonic, perhaps I would be better off staying with a Panasonic body.

Paul

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Well, now I'm wondering whether the chatter was due to an earlier generation 25mm f1.4, or whether the noise could get worse with wear - since the lens was at least a couple of years old and showing signs of wear (the grey/silver plastic decal around the front of the lens had started to wear off... Giving an impression of cheap plastic build) - not exactly exuding Leica quality :-(

Can't fault the image quality though!

Kind regards

Brian

etrigan63

Just got a line on an Oly 40-150mm R lens at a great price. PM'ing the seller (not on this site). This should make a fine addition to my soon-to-be arriving E-M1.

Godfrey

Thank You Godfrey and Brian

I'm not exactly sure what causes aperture chatter. It seems to occur with Panasonic glass mounted on Olympus bodies and in shooting modes which allow the camera to control the aperture (e.g. program or shutter priority). If that is true, would not shooting in aperture priority prevent it from chattering?

I have been considering an EM-1 to replace my ancient G1 and it's kind of disheartening to hear some Panasonic optics aperture chatter (25mm, 45mm macro) and some color fringe with bright light sources in the frame (7-14mm and 20mm). http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

Since all my glass is Panasonic, perhaps I would be better off staying with a Panasonic body.

Paul
Regards the aperture chatter. I'm certain either. It was clearly an annoyance with the E-PL1 body I first tested the Summilux 25 on—I'm not certain whether it's worthy of being called a "problem" as I don't know that it has any effect other than to make some annoying noise. My cameras are almost always exclusively in Aperture priority mode, with some minor trips to Manual exposure mode BTW.

All these cameras do make coordinated, dynamic adjustments to the aperture opening to maintain the viewfinder brightness when viewing and focusing. That's why both Panasonic and Olympus provide an explicit "preview" function which will hold the set aperture for scene evaluation. The difference between the TTL electronic and SLR world in this respect is that the latter worked more simply: auto diaphragm operation just held the lens wide open for focusing, so any noisy aperture jittering around wasn't an issue.

I had the G1 too, it was a great piece for being the first Micro-FourThirds offering and returned a heck of a lot of excellent photos for me. The E-M1 is a far more mature and up-market replacement for it, IMO. Never used the 7-14mm. The Panasonic 20mm I had and was never quite pleased with, the M-E 45 was a delight on the G1 and proves the same delight on the E-M1 if not more so (the brief moment of aperture chatter notwithstanding), and the Summilux 25 is as much of a delight as the Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH for FT SLRs was (it had rather noisy aperture operation too, although you didn't hear it very much due to being used on the SLRs most of the time).

The color fringing with the Panny 7-14 is the most serious negative you list, and why that occurs I haven't the foggiest notion. I'm happy I have no urge for such a wide lens ... the ZD 11-22 and the Panny 14 with Sony wide converter do wide very nicely for me.

So ... well, you have to decide for yourself what you're willing to risk. I rarely let the online reviewers and commentary sway me much one way or another: I buy what I think will work, test it, and figure out where the warts are, avoid them, where the goodness is, exploit it, and then figure out whether I want to keep the stuff.

With the lenses I've got now, I haven't found too much in way of warts to bother me with the E-M1. I'm pretty happy with it.

G

Godfrey

Well, now I'm wondering whether the chatter was due to an earlier generation 25mm f1.4, or whether the noise could get worse with wear - since the lens was at least a couple of years old and showing signs of wear (the grey/silver plastic decal around the front of the lens had started to wear off... Giving an impression of cheap plastic build) - not exactly exuding Leica quality :-(

Can't fault the image quality though!
The image quality is the Leica part of the lens. The plastic build and slightly cheap finish is the Panasonic production and "keeping the cost in the sane realm" side of the game. If the Summilux 25 was built to Leica M or R lens construction standards, it would cost $2000 or more, I suspect. AS it is, I'm happy to have the lens performance and rendering qualities; the build seems good enough.

G

etrigan63

Not that this will help anyone's case of GAS, but Olympus has some very nice Black Friday specials going on right now over at Home page | Olympus.

I just picked up the 40-150mm m43 lens for $119 brand new.

mazor

some nice deals there, wonder if they will have the same deals for Australasia. the 75mm 1.8 also looks like a good deal

JMaher

Now why would you put a sale information post in a thread about controlling spending?:)

It's already cost me the purchase of the 40-150 at a cheap price and the consideration of the 75.

Jim

etrigan63

Now why would you put a sale information post in a thread about controlling spending?:)

It's already cost me the purchase of the 40-150 at a cheap price and the consideration of the 75.

Jim
Did I ever mention that my fraternity nickname was "Evil"? :D

Godfrey

Not that this will help anyone's case of GAS, but Olympus has some very nice Black Friday specials going on right now over at Home page | Olympus.

I just picked up the 40-150mm m43 lens for $119 brand new.
I looked at it, and decided that if I was going to spend more money on a lens, I'd rather re-acquire the superb Olympus ZD 50-200/2.8-3.5.

So I did. I can use it on both the E-M1 and on the E-1 as well.

G