The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 Settings - What Are Yours

jonoslack

Hi There
The amount of configurability on the E-M1 is huge (and bewildering).

Bart and I thought this would be a good place to exchange ideas.

I've had my camera for a long time now (3 days), and so I'm a complete expert :chug:

Actually, my first ambition was to make it so that I didn't have to look at the menus . . . EVER . . . . AGAIN!

I'm sure this isn't the final answer, but currently it's looking like it covers most of MY requirements.

AF, HDR buttons top left unchanged
FN1 set to AF area select. (With four way set to move the focus points)
FN2 set to magnify area
Video button set for focus peaking
AEL/AFL set to toggle AEL spot metering
When Switch set to 2 uses front dial for ISO. rear dial for WB (mode 1)
Front plate top set to manual WB
Front plate Bottom sets focus point to Home (not convinced by this)
Dials set to exp comp on front for PASM
On manual rear is Aperture, front is shutter speed

Shutter release set to AEL/AFL on half press . . .

So Far . . . . . . . what about yours?

scott kirkpatrick

For those who use manual focus lenses, which don't communicate their identities to the camera, you are supposed to tell the image stabilization circuits the focal length of the lens. There is a big difference between the image movement that results from a small camera movement when your lens is a Voightlander 12 or 15mm or a Leica R 180! Can you set this up in some sort of MyProfile preset? or pull up the menu line that lets you choose a focal length by pressing one of the external buttons?

scott

Annna T

For those who use manual focus lenses, which don't communicate their identities to the camera, you are supposed to tell the image stabilization circuits the focal length of the lens. There is a big difference between the image movement that results from a small camera movement when your lens is a Voightlander 12 or 15mm or a Leica R 180! Can you set this up in some sort of MyProfile preset? or pull up the menu line that lets you choose a focal length by pressing one of the external buttons?

scott
I don't have an E-M1, but here is the easy way to do it with the older Olympus MFT cameras (E-M5 in my case) without digging into the menus :
Call the SCP, choose the IS option you need and then press the info button. Then you will get the possibility to indicate/change the focal length of the lens using the up/down arrow or one of the two wheels. Note that when using a native lens, this option is greyed out.

That focal length will remain unchanged untill you return there. If you are mixing native and legacy lenses, when you mount a native lens it will override the focal length you have chosen for the legacy lens. If you switch back to the same legacy lens, or one with a similar focal length, you don't need to change it again. It doesn't default to a particular focal, but remember the last one you have used.

I'm not sure whether you can remember the IS focal length when you save a set of custom settings for the Mysets.

dhsimmonds

What is your IBIS setting though Jono?

A bit of controversy on this one over at the Oly UK digital forum as it seems to require different settings for different lenses......but it's early days as i'm only a three day old chick as well! ;)

Your settings are very similar to mine but I am sure they will change after time served. The difference is focus home is Fn1 in mine.

Godfrey

MySets will store whether IBIS is on or off, but there's no indication in the manual that it will store different focal length settings for non-FT/mFT lenses. It seems to indicate Auto mode is what's remembered.

It's not hard to do a test for this. If I had a camera... :)

G

Brian Mosley

The focal length set for legacy lenses is retained, unchanged between myset selections.

In other words, you can't save it in a myset selection.

On the bright side, it's quick to change, press OK, move to IS and press info to highlight the focal length for your legacy lens.

Cheers

Brian

k-hawinkler

The focal length set for legacy lenses is retained, unchanged between myset selections.

In other words, you can't save it in a myset selection.

On the bright side, it's quick to change, press OK, move to IS and press info to highlight the focal length for your legacy lens.

Cheers

Brian

Pressing OK and using that part of the menu doesn't seem too bad.
I can live with that and reprogramming of some buttons. :)

scott kirkpatrick

I tried the question of whether the OM-D firmware reverts to manual focus when you put on a non-AF lens, using my E-PL5 this afternoon in fading light. If I have the camera set for S-AF/M and put on my Leica macro-elmarit-R 60, it still says S-AF/M on the screen. (I didn't try setting it for pure AF with no override, and checking that with an Olympus lens.) Of course you have to focus the macro-E to get a picture, but the camera thinking that it is in S-AF may effect image stabilization or something... So I went out to the garden and hunted blooms at ISO 800 using both AF/M and pure M. I used the OK/Info path to check that the camera thought my focal length was 65 mm (60 is not an option). I had better luck with M than with AF/M (se below), but this is not a very scientific test. Has anyone found information about interactions between focus method and image stabilization in the manuals?

scott

Knorp

No new insights from me (yet), but I do have a question.
It seems I'm stuck in MF mode when a MF-lens is attached.
So, is it possible to have AF activated while using MF-lenses ?

Asking this because I do like this nifty feature a lot that my K5 provides.
TIA

Kind regards.

Brian Mosley

If the camera can't communicate with the lens, and you have IBIS enabled, it will apply the focal length you have configured for legacy lens use.

Obviously, the focus mode is only relevant with a lens capable of autofocus.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Brian

Knorp

If the camera can't communicate with the lens, and you have IBIS enabled, it will apply the focal length you have configured for legacy lens use.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Brian
Hi there Brian,

thanks for your reaction, but perhaps I was not clear enough: what I'm actually looking for is AF-confirmation.
Where the Olympus apparently switches off AF completely, when it detects a non-AF capable lens, the Pentax retains AF and provides focus confirmation by signal (beeping sound and green focus box).
And with my troubled eyesight that's a welcome aid.

Hope this makes sense :)

Kind regards.

Brian Mosley

Oh, I see what you mean... using the new pdaf sensors to give a focus confirmation as you manually focus the lens? I thought we were talking about IS with legacy lens being affected by the AF/MF mode.

It's an interesting idea, but at the moment it looks like focus peaking and magnified view will do the job.

Kind regards

Brian

scott kirkpatrick

Hope that makes sense.
I'm not sure. If you want to stabilize an image, you need to translate the camera's sensed motion into a motion of the image surface. The angle by which objects in focus move depends on the ratio of the camera's displacement to the distance to the object in focus. But only an AF camera knows that.

scott

Godfrey

.. what I'm actually looking for is AF-confirmation. ...
It's an interesting thought and might be doable.

On the other hand, I've only rarely found a manual focus confirmation signal in SLR cameras particularly accurate for lenses faster than about f/4.

Still, it might be useful if it is possible to do it. You should send a suggestion to Olympus.

G

Annna T

I'm not sure. If you want to stabilize an image, you need to translate the camera's sensed motion into a motion of the image surface. The angle by which objects in focus move depends on the ratio of the camera's displacement to the distance to the object in focus. But only an AF camera knows that.

scott
I thought that the gyro sensors - which are part of the stabilization mecanism -were delivering the info concerning the angle of motion ? That would explain why the body doesn't need to know the focusing distance.