The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adapter comparison

K

kiloran

Given that we have a number of LTM/M->MFT adapter choices coming available I thought it would be useful to gather user experiences with them in one place so we can determine/argue about which is the bestion option out there. I'll start with my Novoflex:

Build quality: All metal, black gloss paint with white Novoflex lettering and red mount dots

Operation: Locking pin simultaneously locks with the M mount lens or LTM adapter and the G1 body. Have to remove adapter from body unless you modify the pin as per instructions on this forum. Mount M lens or LTM adapter to adapter before mounting on the G1.

Usability: M-mount side is very tight, difficult to remove lenses without putting undue pressure on the barrels. Locking pin fiddly to operate. Mounts cleanly and easily to the G1. Risk of mis-mounting the lens and adapter due to unclear instructions and ambiguous mounting dots on the adapter. Very difficult to remove LTM adapters once mounted.

Cost: £125 in the UK from SpeedGraphic, other stockists available.

Rating: 7/10 - needs better instructions and less force required to mount lenses. May free up with use.

monza

My notes are similar, although I'm not sure about mis-mounting. I haven't had seen that (and mine came without instructions.)

LTM adapters are difficult to remove from M camera bayonets as well, without something to help provide torque, so I wouldn't ding the Novoflex on this aspect.

I paid 125 euros for mine.

Any Rayqual users want to add their experience?

The Milich M adapter is now shipping, would be cool to see photos of it as well as a quick review.

barjohn

I purchased the Fotodiox Nikon to 4:3 adapter. It is black metal, The side with the 4:4rds flanges has the red dot that is used to mount to the camera or in the case of an M43 camera the M43 to 4:3 adapter's red dot. The side that the Nikon lens attaches to is crome with a locking pin and a red dot. You line up the white dot on the Nikon lens with the red dot on the adapter and twist the lens onto the adapter. You can hear it click when the lens is in the right position and the locking pin springs into the hole on the lens base. There is a small metal tab that will release the pin from the lens. I think I paid around $27 for it plus shipping.

The Nikon to adapter is a little snug but the other side releases pretty easily from the M43 to 43 adapter. The quality looks to be very good. I would rate it a 9/10

Y.B.Hudson III

When I fabricated my DYI M/Micro 4/3 adapter... It was a challenge, because not all M mounts are the same. The M locking L flange distance from the lens base vary...up to .005"...the M camera mount has a spring to allow for the variations, on my <i>M/Micro 4/3 adapter</i> the available space to accommodate this variation is limited... my Leitz LTM adapter has the greatest flange to base distance, and is a very tight fit, my noctilux is a loose fit... even on M cameras...

Yehh, just my two ¢...

Y.B.

K

kiloran

When I fabricated my DYI M/Micro 4/3 adapter... It was a challenge, because not all M mounts are the same. The M locking L flange distance from the lens base vary...up to .005"...the M camera mount has a spring to allow for the variations, on my <i>M/Micro 4/3 adapter</i> the available space to accommodate this variation is limited... my Leitz LTM adapter has the greatest flange to base distance, and is a very tight fit, my noctilux is a loose fit... even on M cameras...

Yehh, just my two ¢...

Y.B.
Interesting - I've only tried the Novoflex with a Leitz adapter so maybe that's why its so bloody tight. Will give it a go with a Voigtlander and cheap as chips Chinese one...

monza

I too have the Fotodiox Nikon adapter (Nikon F to 4/3.) I agree with John's review, it appears to be well made and fitment is solid with all the lenses I've tried.

Two other adapters just arrived, both from Cirrus Adapter: M42 to 4/3, and Minolta MC/MD to 4/3. They both are of similar build quality to the Fotodiox, namely, excellent.

The Minolta adapter comes with a hex key to tighten the adapter onto the lens; due to the limited spacing there isn't a lot of room to work, so tightening a set screw on the adapter secures it to the lens. (This is due to the flange distance of Minolta lenses being shorter than other mounts such as Nikon.) Since I only have one Minolta lens it will be permanently attached. If I had more Minolta lenses, I would probably buy multiple adapters.

I paid $25 including shipping for the Fotodiox (from their ebay store) and $56 for the two Cirrus adapters including shipping. (Hint: if you email Cirrus thru their ebay store, they will bargain. The Minolta adapter is listed in their store at $49.94 with a free rear cap. They included the M42 adapter and shipping for another $7.)

Full list of G1 adapters is at http://doiop.com/g1adapters

Last edited:

cam

my noctilux is a loose fit... even on M cameras...
totally O.T. but i was searching the net for this to see if it was a known "feature".... your Nocti is a loose fit on even M cameras?

i'm asking because i just got an old one (58mm) and it seems very loose on my Epson body which scares the beejeezes out of me. if they're all like this....

anyways, apologies for the hijack.

monza

The Cameraquest adapter is the Rayqual adapter. Of all the M adapters (Novoflex, Rayqual/CQ, Jinfinance, Milich) only Rayqual/CQ hasn't had any issues.

jlm

Workshop Member
GM adapter finally ready to ship. material is black anodized aluminum, weight 28 grams. lens bayonet retention by spring steel leaf spring (same as M camera body). quite a few very custom parts in this baby, so a parts pic enclosed. all but the screws made in house

[email protected]