The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would you give up your m4/3 kit for the new Sony A7?

mmbma

I saw the A7 at Photo plus today and it's really about the same size as the OMD EM1. Costs only a few hundred more. I am very close to giving into the full frame lust as I love the IQ from my M9.

The only thing holding me back are the fantastic lenses for M4/3. But push come to shove I only need a 50mm normal and a wider lens. and the two sony primes, although slow, could meet my needs.

Anyone considering a similar move? why or why not.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nope. m4/3 is the most versatile system with camera bodies and lenses for almost all my needs. Also, it's an advantage that more than one supplier stand behind m4/3. I might buy an A7(r) at some stage, or a Nikon DF, but at the moment, nothing can replace m4/3 for me as a total system.

I actually had the opposite question a few days ago from a fellow photographer. When he saw how happy I am with the GH3 (and knowing that I will buy the E-M1 as well), he asked if I would go all m4/3 now, to which I answered "No". He asked "Why not?". I couldn't answer that... :)

ggibson

I'm thinking of upgrading my GF1 soon, so I've been considering Sony's new FF alphas. For now though, Sony's system is still twice as expensive and lenses are limited. Also, I need to see some comparison shots before I can really evaluate how much of an advantage the FF sensor would be over the best m4/3 can offer. I don't doubt that FF can offer better quality, but how much? Is it worth spending thousands of dollars? For now, I don't think so. Maybe if I had some really nice Leica glass sitting around, it wouldn't be such an investment to try out Sony's system.

mmbma

same conclusion. I'm debating should I upgrade to EM1 or ditch the M4/3 and go Sony FF. After today's testing I'm not convinced. the A7 is really big with the Sony lenses. Also no really good lenses until probably next year. If I'm gonna use my Leica lenses, I'm going to keep it on my M9 anyway

cjlacz

I'm agree with Jorgen for most part. m43s has a nice variety of camera bodies (GM1 to E-M1/GH3) and all the lenses I need. m43s is more than enough for the sizes I print at. I'm not sure what I'd be switching for. I don't need the resolution and I'd rather not have bigger file sizes. It might have a bit more dynamic range, but I don't feel constrained by the E-M5 now. Reviews haven't come out for the 35mm f2.8 lens. It's the same weight as the 17mm f1.8. I normally shoot stopped down a bit and the IBIS on the Oly bodies does more for my type of shooting.

I like what Sony managed to cram into that body though. If they release a few more small, but optically excellent lenses it might make an intriguing system.

f6cvalkyrie

I admit, at first, I hesitated ... :confused::confused:

But then, I realized these Sony cameras don't have IBIS ...
As an adapted lens shooter, my keeper rate changed dramatically when I upgraded from GH2 (I still use it for video) to E-M5

I do not consider the new E-M1 to be enough of a quality upgrade over the E-M5, so I won't be buying that one neither (I keep telling myself ...)

Saving my money for the next generation ???

C U
Rafael

C U.

Interesting about what you say about IBIS. I have the GH2 and wonder about shake. In the UK the M5 is about six hundred pounds less than the M1.

Maybe I should be thinking....

Tony

kweide

... And please have a look at Sony lenses, the FE types, and their roadmap as well. When done so, keep in mind that Sony is a 100% consumer company, without real pro approach and always willing to kill a product over night.

JBurnett

The Sony A7 series is an evolutionary step in the right direction, just as M-4/3 was when it was first introduced. I switched to a G1 back when there was only the 14-45mm kit lens available, and have spent the last 4+ years slowly acquiring native lenses along with some "stop-gaps" along the way (I'm still not done). I'm not sure I'd want to go through that process again. OTOH, I certainly wouldn't be averse to an A7r with 24-70 f/4 Zeiss lens to do primarily landscape photos IN ADDITION TO my current M4/3 kit.

Another thought: I do use manual focus, but not as much as AF. So, unless Sony/others do something miraculous with new native lens sizes, I don't see myself carrying a full A7 "system" around, in the same way that I do with my M4/3 kit.

jsnack

Maybe when I see the rumored Nikon FMD...if it becomes a reality. The FM3a was my favorite film body. And there are plenty of lenses available.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
m43 became my favorite system over the past years. I only keep Nikon FF as my alternate FF system.

m43 has gone a long way to come where it is, but today, with cameras like the EM1 and GX7 and the latest lens lineup it is very hard to beat and actually not much missing.

A7 and A7r is a system which did not even start really. Although it sounds great it will take some while to get really competitive to others. Mind that just 2 cameras and a few lenses are not enough, although very promising.

So answer is NO, I would not give up my m43 system for any kind of Sony A7 or A7r system. Best case supplement it …..

Rafael,

"As an adapted lens shooter, my keeper rate changed dramatically when I upgraded from GH2 (I still use it for video) to E-M5"

You should not have said that Rafael. My Mastercard took the hit ten minutes ago.

Tony

f6cvalkyrie

Rafael,

"As an adapted lens shooter, my keeper rate changed dramatically when I upgraded from GH2 (I still use it for video) to E-M5"

You should not have said that Rafael. My Mastercard took the hit ten minutes ago.

Tony
on the one hand, I'm so sorry, Tony, and the other, I know you are going to enjoy that little camera :)))

BTW : still cheaper than an E-M1 :D:D:D

CU,
Rafael

Rafael,

One encouragement to move quickly is the fact that Olympus are giving away a free 45mm 1.8 with each purchase. That's effectively a £200 discount and my dealer said he would take it in exchange for future purchases.

The lens will come to me. I'll then see if there is anything I need to supplement the M5 or put it on eBay.

Tony

kweide

Yesterday was promo day and i had a chance to touch the a7 and the a7R. Not so bad. Both were quite nice and sturdy built. They felt good in my hand. I asked the promoter how i can move the AF field ? After fiddeling a bit in the menus i found the settings for a small variable AF field but was not able to move it around. The promoter answered, that it is NOT possible to move it freely like on the EM1. You have to reenter the AF setting, chose the small variable AF, after that, the af field changes it color to indicated its readyness for moving. After AF confirm thru the release button, this setting vanished again. You have to do the same settings again for each shot you want to do.
I do not know if the Promoter was right but i was disappointed. Such nonsense would slow down my workflow massivly and is contraproductive. Anyone did the same experience ?

iiiNelson

I saw the A7 at Photo plus today and it's really about the same size as the OMD EM1. Costs only a few hundred more. I am very close to giving into the full frame lust as I love the IQ from my M9.

The only thing holding me back are the fantastic lenses for M4/3. But push come to shove I only need a 50mm normal and a wider lens. and the two sony primes, although slow, could meet my needs.

Anyone considering a similar move? why or why not.
Depends on how and what you shoot. I see it more as a supplement to your M9 than a replacement for the Micro 4/3. I did replace my Micro 4/3 system with my M9 but 95% of what I shoot is in the 21-90mm range. I have a A77 that I will see to take care of the long stuff when needed once I get the A7r. The Micro 4/3 is a great system and the FE system is new.

etrigan63

I am finding that my D800E handles the portrait/FF stuff perfectly fine and my X-E1 is very nice but the AF is a bit "quirky". The OM-D E-M5 that preceded it was much faster at focusing but the low light/high ISO was not so hot (lack of focus peaking notwithstanding). However, the E-M1 + 12-40 f/2.8 looks like a killer combo. Undecided about the grip or just an L-plate, my D800E is the one that rides the tripod mostly, and mirrorless systems are power hungry. The Nikon DF is being hyped in a provocative way (I'd like to see the specs first), but I think a trip back to Mt. Olympus is in my near future (once I sell my X-E1 kit).