The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Low Light High ISO on G1

barjohn

Here are a couple of shots to see what it looks like with the G1 and Nikon 50/1.8 at 1600 and 3200 ISO in low light. Then a comparison with the D90 at ISO 1600 low light with the same lens.

Last edited:
K

kiloran

Are those straight out of the camera? What noise reduction/sharpening settings are you using in LR?

barjohn

Those are straight out of the camera with default LR 2.2 settings. The JPGs show much less noise as the in camera noise reduction for JPGs is pretty good. However, I find they require a little sharpening to look good.

One other note, the Nikon was using AF and it did not do as good a job focusing in low light as I could do with the same lens in MF on the G1.

The shots were taken after dark and the only light in the bathroom was a small dim low wattage lamp with a red shade.

K

kiloran

Very impressive - I've been experimenting with ISO1600 & 3200 today as well. I hate chroma noise but find those ISOs surprisingly usable shot in B&W. Makes this camera definitely a keeper for me. Low light manual focus with fast lenses has never been easier...

barjohn

As you can see, at a small print size (4x6 or 5x7) it would produce a very usable image. I think the JPGs could easily handle an 8x10 and maybe even lerger since the 100% crop is larger than a 13x19 print. When printed some of the noise is no longer as visible. Just for the heck of it I'll try printing these images in various sizes to see what happens and also convert to B&W.