The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your E-M5 Function Keys

Yes, all our needs are different but I learn a lot from the way people set up their function keys. My M5 is new this week and I know I have a lot to learn. What are you using them for?

Let me start the ball rolling by listing mine:-

F1 AEL toggled on and off.

F2 White balance.

Red Button. ISO

Up Arrow. Here I get that little menu as it seems I cannot change it.

Right Arrow. Flash control.

Bottom Arrow. Choice of Single, Burst, etc. I am sucker for doing bursts of portraits.

Left Arrow. That focus position selector. I'd never use it but again I cannot change it.

I have left both dials as they are for the moment (chicken!).

One thing I'd like to be able to get at quicker is flash compensation. I do a lot of mixed ambient and flash and I like to make quick adjustments when a shot is overblown or murky. Any clues?

All suggestions eagerly awaited.

Tony

Annna T

Yes, all our needs are different but I learn a lot from the way people set up their function keys. My M5 is new this week and I know I have a lot to learn. What are you using them for?

All suggestions eagerly awaited.

Tony
I have found Gary Ayton's page on how to set up the E-M5 very useful. Here is the link

The up and left arrow buttons can't be configured as you rightly found out. Here is a table of all the functions which can be affected to the different customizable buttons : some functions can only be affected certain buttons. A little weird.

I have AEL/AFL affected to the Rec button and the Multifunction button affected to the Fn2 button. Of the multifunction button I use mostly the magnifier and could have affected it to the magnifier only. For the AEL/AFL button, I use mode 3. This means that I can use the Rec button to lock focus, with frequent press of the Fn2 button to magnify and check focus. I find this very useful since I can switch between both (magnifier and AFL) just moving the index finger slightly, while the shutter release button is right nearby for AEL and shooting.

I have the drive mode on the down arrow and the ISO on the right arrow, but I tend to press OK in the middle of the fourways controller to get to the Super Control Menu when I want to change my shooting settings. I have the Fn1 button set to select the focus zone, but don't use it much since it isn't very accessible for my hands. I tend to leave it in the middle, using the focus and reframe technique instead.

The accessibility of the Fn1, Rec and Fn2 buttons changes depending on whether you are using the grip or not.

PS : just in case you don't already know it : there is a well made 3 pages introductory guide by DPreview for the E-M5

mmbma

congrats on your purchase! EM5 is a great camera and they can be had for a steal right now after the new EM1 came out. Im sure it'll serve you well.

I never really bothered to set up my EM5, just used it and so far no complaints