Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thanks Karl Heinz - it came as a surprise to me too!

Regarding processing in-camera, I think there is possibly a little bit of sharpness falloff correction going on even to the RAW file. Quite subtle and it might not even be there but in one or two files I felt there might be a touch more noise towards the edges. I will be looking into this more when I review the EM-1 itself...
    That could well be.
    Also you observed a total lack of chromatic aberration.
    That's easily and much cheaper corrected in firmware/software than through better but costly optical means IMHO.

For example Nikon didn't bother with correcting CA in their new 80-400 mm lens.
    My copy shows quite a bit in typical situations but is easily correctable.
    It was fun though shooting hummingbirds with that lens on my E-M5 manually.
    On my D800E the new 80-400 mm lens focuses and tracks hummingbirds extremely well after Nikon successfully repaired the left autofocus issue. That combination now only needs a +1 micro focus adjustment.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karl Heinz - it came as a surprise to me too!

Regarding processing in-camera, I think there is possibly a little bit of sharpness falloff correction going on even to the RAW file. Quite subtle and it might not even be there but in one or two files I felt there might be a touch more noise towards the edges. I will be looking into this more when I review the EM-1 itself...
    My curiosity was piqued. I set up the E-1 on a tripod, leveled it, and targeted the vertical blinds in my office at 5' 5" distance. I set the camera to +1 exposure on A mode, ISO 100, f/3.5, and AWB. In sequence, I fitted the 11-22 and made exposures at 22, 18, 14, and 11mm, then the 35 Macro, then the 25mm f/2.8. With each exposure, I forced the camera to refocus. I repeated the same settings and capture sequence with the E-M1.

Some interesting results looking at the .ORF files in Lightroom 5.2:

A - Regards the rectilinear correction, at least using Lightroom to look at the files, they are virtually identical between the two cameras. Whether there is a difference in the JPEGs I didn't look as I forgot to set the E-M1 to capture JPEG+raw.. doh!

B - The AWB from the two cameras returns very different results! The E-M1 did not filter our the somewhat greenish cast from the windows, the E-1 corrected that out to a neutral color. Very interesting.

C - The sharpness and detailing across the field with both the 11-22 and the 35 Macro seems almost identical, up to the limit of the 5Mpixel E-1's resolution limits. The 25mm, however, appears to image with more sharpness at corners and edges with the E-M1 compared to its performance on the E-1.

D - Some later CA was apparent with all of the three lenses and exposures. Turning on Lightroom's "remove chromatic aberration" correction manually removed it entirely. No fringing was apparent.

I opened the files in Olympus Viewer 3 as well. Geometric correction looks the same. The white balance difference is apparent there as well, and to the same degree. So is the*apparent sharpness difference with the 25mm lens. The chromatic aberration seemed less apparent.

I'm not expert in Viewer 3 as yet so I don't know if I enabled the correction filtering properly. Really should read the help for it...

That's all I have time for today, but it is very interesting to see how similar (and how different!) results using the very same lenses on the E-1 and E-M1 can be.

fun fun fun,
    G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My 12-40 arrived today
    It seems great, but not much to shoot at midnight!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us updated!

Post Thanks / Like

ooo exciting!! I am waiting for the kit Em1 with 12-40mm. Show us some hand held low light images!

Post Thanks / Like

Will this make you give up your MFT primes? I already more lenses I can use but want a zoom.. but then I fear the zoom will make me give up on the primes I love...

Post Thanks / Like

I know for me there is a place for zooms and a place for primes. Sometimes having a good quality zoom ,can be real handy when on the run, or travelling where changing lens all the time may not be appropriate. If I just want to carry a camera on me on an relaxing outing, a prime is preferable as it is usually smaller, and has faster apertures, which allows broader creativity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a good question... especially if you already have a good range of prime lenses, but the flexibility, build quality and weather seals make it the pro kit lens to go with the E-M1, simple, no nonsense performance.

Very desirable!

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of weeks ago I had the use of the 12-40 demo with the Em-1. The light was very flat and took 49 photos. I wish there was more contrast and if I could figure how to put these up in full I would. I am a Nikon 800E user but a trip to DisneyWorld with Granddaughter ended me as an old man. It was like boot camp, so I now have the Em-1 and will use the Nikon sparingly. I love the camera and will await the new lens.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aragdog View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I had the use of the 12-40 demo with the Em-1. The light was very flat and took 49 photos. I wish there was more contrast and if I could figure how to put these up in full I would. I am a Nikon 800E user but a trip to DisneyWorld with Granddaughter ended me as an old man. It was like boot camp, so I now have the Em-1 and will use the Nikon sparingly. I love the camera and will await the new lens.
    think keep D800e for the studio and portraits, and the OMD for anything to do with daily travel

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    My 12-40 arrived today
    It seems great, but not much to shoot at midnight!
    Midnight is over... since 2 days... Pictures... NOW!

Btw. Thanks for the write up Tim!

Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure George, I hope you enjoy the lens as much as I do. I have just finished a mini-review of the E-M1 itself too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to close the loop: after going around and around trying to decide whether I wanted to order the 12-40 or the Macro-Elmarit 45mm for the past week and some, I made my decision: Macro-Elmarit 45 it is.

Popflash has a good looking used one at a nice discount, but when you factor in shipping and sales tax, it was only $50 more to buy is from a reliable out of state vendor with a discounted price, who also doesn't charge CA sales tax, brand new. That's worth it for the OEM warranty, etc.

I know this is the right lens for me. I loved using this lens when I had it on loan for a couple of months back in my G1 days. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    think keep D800e for the studio and portraits, and the OMD for anything to do with daily travel
    My thoughts exactly!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Works for me too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very entertaining and thought provoking review of the E-M1 Tim, it's great to see a photographer who can write so well!

Here's a direct link for anyone who missed Tim's excellent blog
    Tim Ashley Photography | The Olympus E-M1: Micro Four Thirds comes of age?

Thanks

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

i'm waiting for you to sell this lens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    i'm waiting for you to sell this lens!
    Cameras come and go but I almost never sell a good lens!

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I just placed my ORDER! From Unique photo in NJ, I hope they are good and I can get it pretty fast instead of waiting until December. have to say your review is the one that convinced me to pull the trigger

Post Thanks / Like

has there been a performance analysis for the 12-40 without in camera corrections for this lens?

Post Thanks / Like

it's in the mail!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious about the role of the two things in this generation of M43 lenses: much greater use of exotic types of glass and use of software correction through interpolation, allowing the designer to leave the simpler distortions uncorrected and attack other problems instead (or reduce cost). Tim points out, by showing the lens cross-sections, that the m.Zuiko 60/2.8 macro and the new 12-40 are very complex designs. I can compare my experiments with a 30-year old 3-cam 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R with pictures posted on this site from the m.Zuiko macro, and it seems that the new macro outresolves the older lens. But macro shots are usually evaluated on the centered object of interest, and a concern with computer-corrected images is smearing in the corners. Has anyone carefully compared across the board sharpness between the best of the big old 4/3 zooms (I suggest the 11-22 as it is pretty common) with this new wonder lens? The 11-22 covers the focal length range that interests me, so I'm not in the market for the 12-40 at present, but I'd love to see a comparison.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Curious about "parking" the lens: the lens is at its shortest when at about 16-17mm setting, not at 12mm. I'd have thought it would retract to its shortest at the 12mm setting.

Is this normal for this lens, or do I have a problem with my copy?

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Rick, it's normal and not unusual in zooms of this range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    ... the lens is at its shortest when at about 16-17mm setting, not at 12mm. I'd have thought it would retract to its shortest at the 12mm setting.

Rick
    My 11-22 4/3 lens just as weird. It is longest at 11 mm, shortest at 18 mm, and gets longer as it goes to 22 mm. But there is nothing wrong with it.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Since today I own the 12-40 and the EM1. This is a tack sharp lens, one of the best "standard" zooms I have ever owned. I would even rate it same or maybe higher IQ wise than the old 2 / 14-35.

If the coming 2.8 / 40-150 is in the same league, then this must be a wonderful combination!

Love the lens and love the camera so far !!!!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    Curious about "parking" the lens: the lens is at its shortest when at about 16-17mm setting, not at 12mm. I'd have thought it would retract to its shortest at the 12mm setting.

Rick
    Rick, it's normal and not unusual in zooms of this range.
    As Tim said, this is normal. Since the lens is f/2.8 fixed, the rear element cannot move in or out as this would change the minimum f/stop of the lens. With this restriction, the optical juggling act that is a zoom lens becomes a bit more complicated and can lead to situations where the widest setting is not necessarily the shortest physical configuration of the lens.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

.... My EM1 and 12-40 has arrived and is waiting to be collected from the camera shop!!! exciting times ahead
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine is on it's way but will not be here till next Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

It has arrived...

Fired some quick snaps, and man the focus speed in indeed quick! Testing tracking and that works well too.

Lens aperture is nice and silent, manual focus ring may be drive by wire, but has excellent damping. Also the infinite stop is nice.

The lens has does not have a min zoom lock, but stiff enough so there is no zoom creep.

From initial shots, the lens is very sharp, and has descent bokeh. It would have been that much better if it was an f2.0 lens, but I guess it would add considerbly more bulk to the overall lens design.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post