The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

tashley

Subscriber Member
My pleasure George, I hope you enjoy the lens as much as I do. I have just finished a mini-review of the E-M1 itself too.

Godfrey

Just to close the loop: after going around and around trying to decide whether I wanted to order the 12-40 or the Macro-Elmarit 45mm for the past week and some, I made my decision: Macro-Elmarit 45 it is.

Popflash has a good looking used one at a nice discount, but when you factor in shipping and sales tax, it was only $50 more to buy is from a reliable out of state vendor with a discounted price, who also doesn't charge CA sales tax, brand new. That's worth it for the OEM warranty, etc.

I know this is the right lens for me. I loved using this lens when I had it on loan for a couple of months back in my G1 days. :)

G

mmbma

That's why I just placed my ORDER! From Unique photo in NJ, I hope they are good and I can get it pretty fast instead of waiting until December. have to say your review is the one that convinced me to pull the trigger

mazor

has there been a performance analysis for the 12-40 without in camera corrections for this lens?

scott kirkpatrick

I'm curious about the role of the two things in this generation of M43 lenses: much greater use of exotic types of glass and use of software correction through interpolation, allowing the designer to leave the simpler distortions uncorrected and attack other problems instead (or reduce cost). Tim points out, by showing the lens cross-sections, that the m.Zuiko 60/2.8 macro and the new 12-40 are very complex designs. I can compare my experiments with a 30-year old 3-cam 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R with pictures posted on this site from the m.Zuiko macro, and it seems that the new macro outresolves the older lens. But macro shots are usually evaluated on the centered object of interest, and a concern with computer-corrected images is smearing in the corners. Has anyone carefully compared across the board sharpness between the best of the big old 4/3 zooms (I suggest the 11-22 as it is pretty common) with this new wonder lens? The 11-22 covers the focal length range that interests me, so I'm not in the market for the 12-40 at present, but I'd love to see a comparison.

scott

Curious about "parking" the lens: the lens is at its shortest when at about 16-17mm setting, not at 12mm. I'd have thought it would retract to its shortest at the 12mm setting.

Is this normal for this lens, or do I have a problem with my copy?

Rick

scott kirkpatrick

... the lens is at its shortest when at about 16-17mm setting, not at 12mm. I'd have thought it would retract to its shortest at the 12mm setting.

Rick
My 11-22 4/3 lens just as weird. It is longest at 11 mm, shortest at 18 mm, and gets longer as it goes to 22 mm. But there is nothing wrong with it.

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Since today I own the 12-40 and the EM1. This is a tack sharp lens, one of the best "standard" zooms I have ever owned. I would even rate it same or maybe higher IQ wise than the old 2 / 14-35.

If the coming 2.8 / 40-150 is in the same league, then this must be a wonderful combination!

Love the lens and love the camera so far !!!!

etrigan63

Curious about "parking" the lens: the lens is at its shortest when at about 16-17mm setting, not at 12mm. I'd have thought it would retract to its shortest at the 12mm setting.

Rick
Rick, it's normal and not unusual in zooms of this range.
As Tim said, this is normal. Since the lens is f/2.8 fixed, the rear element cannot move in or out as this would change the minimum f/stop of the lens. With this restriction, the optical juggling act that is a zoom lens becomes a bit more complicated and can lead to situations where the widest setting is not necessarily the shortest physical configuration of the lens.

mazor

.... My EM1 and 12-40 has arrived and is waiting to be collected from the camera shop!!! exciting times ahead :)

mazor

It has arrived...

Fired some quick snaps, and man the focus speed in indeed quick! Testing tracking and that works well too.

Lens aperture is nice and silent, manual focus ring may be drive by wire, but has excellent damping. Also the infinite stop is nice.

The lens has does not have a min zoom lock, but stiff enough so there is no zoom creep.

From initial shots, the lens is very sharp, and has descent bokeh. It would have been that much better if it was an f2.0 lens, but I guess it would add considerbly more bulk to the overall lens design.