Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 80

Thread: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

  1. #1
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    ... how very exciting. I can't wait to try it out and report back later!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    OK, I am sold. This is one great lens.

    I took it for my evening stroll only today, it was later than usual (from early to late dusk) and it was pouring with rain much of the time. I shot the lens on an EM-1 and with a variety of well-tried scenes and subjects and the combination of lens and camera scores very, very highly in my personal pantheon.

    Of course I need now to 'test' the lens (I'll be doing a review of it and also of the EM-1) but my first impressions are that it is sharp from edge to edge wide open at every focal length at close and middle distance, but at the long end of the zoom with landscape distances (distant hills and trees) it needs F4 to really tighten up the edges.

    Even better, some initial brick wall shots show the corners to be pretty good, easily acceptable to me, wide open at both ends of the zoom range.

    Focus is fast and sure (one mis-focus out of 60 frames and that was an ambiguous subject better suited to MF) and the bokeh is generally pretty nice, though a little nervy on bright, clearly defined edges. Nothing I can't happily live with.

    I've had a lot of mid-range zooms. This one seems to me more thoroughly competent than all of them. In fact the only real competition comes from the Nikkor 24-70 F2.8 and that lens is a bit weak at the wide end. In fact, were I going for another low-ish light walk I would probably take the Olympus kit in preference to the D800 kit (regardless of weight and size!) because a combination of the abilities of the lens and the IBIS (I got perfect shots as low as 1/12 sec) mean that even if the ISO performance of the D800 can't be matched, it mostly won't be needed. In fact, to be honest, I have some very venerable primes on the D800 which even at F5.6 can't 'do' a good edge convincingly, and though I have to test this to confirm it, I think that a 20" print from the Oly setup would actually beat a 20" print from the Nikon, even with some primes, under many circumstances.

    Unless some fatal flaw is revealed in further testing, this is a godsend of a lens and I think that it, with the EM-1, will likely become my new travel kit.

    Having recently tried the new Sony Zeiss 16-70 F4 on my Nex-7 I can say that there is simply no contest, though I hear from the dealer that the lens I used has been for repair and had some components replaced so I might try it again.

    Anyone who hasn't yet ordered this new Oly zoom should do so. It looks, feels, handles and performs as well as I hoped and I think it is great value and an absolute must-have.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...



    I will, as I always do, post pictures when I have some that can stand up to aggressive scrutiny. I will then publish a full review. I have no intention of posting murky snapshots at dusk of boring subjects. You are extremely welcome to regard it as worthless, knock yourself out! But there are people around who like a first reaction and, dare I say it, there are some people who, rightly or wrongly, have at least some faith in my ability to assess a lens... so please regard this as for them, however few they might be...

    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Tim,

    Thanks for your first impressions. Much appreciated, as always.
    I am looking forward to your in depth reviews.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Thanks Karl-Heinz - I just wish I had some lovely New Mexico light (Santa Fe is one of my most favourite places) to shoot it with but the forecast here is for days of rain, which means my usual aperture series tests will have to wait.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    ... I have no intention of posting murky snapshots at dusk of boring subjects.
    With it being Hallowe'en some murky snapshots at dusk might be just the ticket!

    Find some kinky witches.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    BOO! (but unfortunately with a Canon 5D and 24-105 F4...)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Sounds like a grand piece of kit!

    Given my strange reluctance with mid-range zooms, though, I'm more likely to punch the button on an old favorite, the Panasonic/Leica Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    I hear you Godfrey - but I have always wanted an effective mid range zoom and it looks like this might just be it. I read Ming Thein's review weeks ago and have been salivating and it looks like he was right about it, though I really do need to do a lot more shots and at ISO 200 in good light so there's no digital noise to muddy the waters of perception...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Thank You Tim
    There's nobody more likely to make me press the button on a lens (it's a kind of compliment - I hear that they can be terribly effective )

    You've pushed me over the edge, and mine should arrive on Monday. Perhaps Saturday if I'm lucky.

    Emma and I are off for a first trip to the Canaries next Thursday . . . . . It'll be fun giving it the runaround amongst all that black sand!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Well I really hope you're as impressed as I am or I'll feel terrible! Have a lovely trip. A nice tan sure helps one face the winter with a spring in the step...

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thank You Tim
    There's nobody more likely to make me press the button on a lens (it's a kind of compliment - I hear that they can be terribly effective )

    You've pushed me over the edge, and mine should arrive on Monday. Perhaps Saturday if I'm lucky.

    Emma and I are off for a first trip to the Canaries next Thursday . . . . . It'll be fun giving it the runaround amongst all that black sand!

    all the best
    Arrgh. I've wanted to visit the Canary Islands for a decade or more. Heck with the lens ... I'll just buy air fare!

    G

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    I don't think you need worry Tim - I fear that my standards are much lower than yours - and I'm sentimentally disposed to like Zuiko lenses anyway (currently I'm mostly using the 12-60 on the E-M1)

    Must get rid of some kit though - I'm rather settled at the moment with the M and the E-M1, but I've tried an awful lot of stuff getting there, and it needs to be shifted!

    Just this guy you know

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Arrgh. I've wanted to visit the Canary Islands for a decade or more. Heck with the lens ... I'll just buy air fare!

    G
    Hi Godfrey
    I'll report back when I get back (or even from there if we have internet).

    We're staying in some fisherman's cottages in the west of Lanzarote at El Golfo - but we'll be driving around - the intention is to alternate walk days with beach days. Definitely a chill out!

    Normally we go to Crete in September for our last minute sun . . . but this year it was complicated by babies and children, hence the Canaries in November.

    Beach Cottages in El Golfo

    Just this guy you know

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I don't think you need worry Tim - I fear that my standards are much lower than yours - and I'm sentimentally disposed to like Zuiko lenses anyway (currently I'm mostly using the 12-60 on the E-M1)

    Must get rid of some kit though - I'm rather settled at the moment with the M and the E-M1, but I've tried an awful lot of stuff getting there, and it needs to be shifted!
    Well just so's you have time to cancel the order if you like, here are some very unscientific handhelds from centre, far right and far left of frame at or around 1/25th and at 40mm and f2.8 with AF-S ISO 400... crops resized to 50% from RAW with a bit of sharpening. The focus was on the furthest left and right points but, unscientifically, the right hand shot is slightly angled.






  17. #17
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    And here are some 100% handheld wide open brick walls... at both ends of the zoom. I am assessing these on a Retina screen which approximates to my 'usual' print size of 20 or 21" on the long side...

    Tim Ashley Photography | Oly EM-1 with 12-40 | _A310038

  18. #18
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Thanks Tim for this (and other) great reviews!

    I ordered mine together with the EM1 and they should be delivered around next week (here in Austria).

    Cannot wait to get my hands on these .....
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    And here are some 100% handheld wide open brick walls... at both ends of the zoom. I am assessing these on a Retina screen which approximates to my 'usual' print size of 20 or 21" on the long side...

    Tim Ashley Photography | Oly EM-1 with 12-40 | _A310038
    Hmmm . . . Looks okay to me . . . I've not cancelled my order!

    Just this guy you know

  20. #20
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    The man from Delmonte, he say 'Yes'...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Hmmm you gentlemen are forcing me to switch gears. I was going to acquire an A7r as my walkabout camera, but seeing the performance of the E-M1 + 12-40 f/2.8 combo is making me rethink my decision. I had the E-M5 which took lovely photos, but I had to give the X-E1 a go. That one also does very well in the dark except for its focussing issues. How is the focus peaking on the E-M1? The FP on the X-E1 still needs work and is a little hard to see.

    X-E1 shot

    Neuschwanstein Castle by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

    E-M5 Shot:

    Gesu Church - Downtown Miami by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

    In my eyes, I like the look I can achieve with the Oly sensor better than the Fuji. This can also become completely skewed if the hype about the Nikon DF pans out.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    OK here is another data point. Again please accept that this is for now somewhat unscientific, I am just playing and the weather is waaay too bad here to go do this outside with mid-distance building facades or landscapes on a tripod etc but I wanted to try a little handheld, real-world experiment. So I shot the same interior flat facade with the EM-1 with 12-40 and the D800E with 28-70. Both frames were shot at the widest end, wide open, both with centre single AF. But I set the Nikon to Auto ISO and in the menu setting, 'faster' was selected for the choice of shutter speed: in my experience, with a heavy and unstabilised lens like this, that is required if one is to reliably avoid camera shake. The Oly I set to ISO 200 and just let the shutter speed fall where it would, which was at 1/20th. Again, real world, that is how I would shoot a static subject with this setup.

    Metering was auto for both and though the Nikon looks like it had a +1/3rd that is because my camera is permanently set to a -1/3rd bias. Nonetheless the Nikon gave the scene a bit more exposure, I estimate that at about a third of a stop, which is why I usually have it set to a small negative.

    Then I gave both files the exact same LR settings, WB off the white card on the fridge (the Oly got the AWB correct, the Nikon did not). The only difference was I enabled lens corrections in the Nikon so as to match the in-camera adjustments made to the RAW file by the Oly. Nonetheless, the Oly had more vignetting but not to a degree that I mind about.

    The Nikon chose an ISO of 1400 in order to get the shutter speed it felt it needed (1/100th). I could possibly have shot it at ISO 1000 instead with the same shutter speed so as to more closely match the exposure of the Oly frame but, the point of this was 'shoot them as you'd use them'.

    Then I exported both files to 2304 pixels on the long side. That equates to a 200 DPI print of around 20" if you view the file at 100% on a normal (non-retina) screen. It also has the advantage of meaning that both files have been downsized from 'native' and therefore both are 'processed'.

    Like I say, unscientific but interesting. It tends to confirm my suspicion that the Oly lens is sharper, especially at the edges, and that the noise advantage of the Nikon is largely lost due to the need to shoot at higher ISO, because there's no IS. Or course, in good light the Nikon would win much more clearly on file quality but for this print size, the difference would IMHO be more than negated by the better performance of the Oly lens.

    Links are to the files.

    http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s10...1046503986.jpg

    http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v128/p673561323.jpg

    I will run tests such as this much more scientifically when time and weather allow but for now, this does tend to confirm my first impression of better wide end sharpness of the Oly lens.
    Last edited by tashley; 1st November 2013 at 03:38.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Mine should be with me on Monday Night!

    Just this guy you know

  24. #24
    Senior Member Elderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

    You've pushed me over the edge, and mine should arrive on Monday. Perhaps Saturday if I'm lucky.
    Hmmmmmm .........

    My first post - I was going to resist joining in until I actually had my
    EM1 and 12-40 in my hands
    however I need to post to say that I'm seriously JEALOUS! .
    I ordered my outfit more than two weeks ago (also in the south-ish
    of England) and so far .......... nothing.

    Actually it would have been far more sensible of me to have phoned the
    dealer before I wrote this post .

    Ian.

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    Hmmmmmm .........

    My first post - I was going to resist joining in until I actually had my
    EM1 and 12-40 in my hands
    however I need to post to say that I'm seriously JEALOUS! .
    I ordered my outfit more than two weeks ago (also in the south-ish
    of England) and so far .......... nothing.

    Actually it would have been far more sensible of me to have phoned the
    dealer before I wrote this post .

    Ian.
    Hi Ian - you will have saved some money though - Tim and I bought body and lens separately

    Just this guy you know

  26. #26
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Just to whet some more appetites, some files here (click links for full size files) from this wonderful (so far!) lens. It just seems to do what a naive beginner would expect a lens to do: get everything in focus from edge to edge and even corner to corner. It has a neutral rendering, not a character lens, but just reliable and predictable and handholdable to stupid low shutter speeds. All processed for 50% viewing so look a bit overdone at the pixel level.


    Full size
    ISO 200 40mm F4 1/50th


    Full size
    ISO 200 12mm F4 1/50th


    Full size
    ISO 400 28mm F2.8 1/80th


    Full size
    ISO 400 38mm F2.8 1/160th
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Thanks Tim for posting your usual terrific insights.

    Do you have an opinion on the quality of the 12-40 f/2.8 Olympus lens vis--vis the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8?

    With appreciation,

    Bill

  28. #28
    Senior Member Elderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Ian - you will have saved some money though - Tim and I bought body and lens separately
    Looks like I will be spending my money (and getting indecisive about how I want to set the camera up :runsbeforewalkssmilley: ) next week!
    Ian.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post
    Thanks Tim for posting your usual terrific insights.

    Do you have an opinion on the quality of the 12-40 f/2.8 Olympus lens vis--vis the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8?

    With appreciation,

    Bill
    Glad to share - and glad to finally have fairly unambiguous praise for a new lens: I have tested so many in the past couple of years that disappointed, the last really good one was the Sony Zeiss 35mm F2 on the RX-1...

    I haven't tried the Panny. People say it is good but I have heard say that this new lens is better... and if you are shooting on an Oly, then it seems to me that the corrections are more effective with Oly MFT lenses.

  30. #30
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    Looks like I will be spending my money (and getting indecisive about how I want to set the camera up :runsbeforewalkssmilley: ) next week!
    Ian.
    Don't get me started! The only thing I want to achieve is to stop either of the dials controlling WB whilst allowing the other to control ISO. It seems impossible... mad, given that you can basically get this thing to make tea and book your dental appointments

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Ian - you will have saved some money though - Tim and I bought body and lens separately
    Me too.
    However, in the US I still qualify for the $200 mail-in rebate.

    M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens | Olympus

    Quote:

    "Please note: If you already pre-ordered your OM-D E-M1, you are still eligible for the $200 rebate offer. Simply purchase the lens in a new order. This offer can be combined with the FREE FL-300R Flash or MMF-3 offer also available with the purchase of an OM-D E-M1. View rebate submission details (PDF)."

    http://cache.olympusamerica.com/stat...Rebate_USA.pdf
    With best regards, K-H.

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Just to whet some more appetites, some files here (click links for full size files) from this wonderful (so far!) lens. It just seems to do what a naive beginner would expect a lens to do: get everything in focus from edge to edge and even corner to corner. It has a neutral rendering, not a character lens, but just reliable and predictable and handholdable to stupid low shutter speeds. All processed for 50% viewing so look a bit overdone at the pixel level.


    Full size
    ISO 200 40mm F4 1/50th


    Full size
    ISO 200 12mm F4 1/50th


    Full size
    ISO 400 28mm F2.8 1/80th


    Full size
    ISO 400 38mm F2.8 1/160th
    Hi Tim,

    The last one is my favorite!!!
    It would fit nicely in the collection of autumn pictures though!

    With best regards, K-H.

  33. #33
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Indeed!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,998
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Me too.
    However, in the US I still qualify for the $200 mail-in rebate.

    M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens | Olympus

    Quote:

    "Please note: If you already pre-ordered your OM-D E-M1, you are still eligible for the $200 rebate offer. Simply purchase the lens in a new order. This offer can be combined with the FREE FL-300R Flash or MMF-3 offer also available with the purchase of an OM-D E-M1. View rebate submission details (PDF)."

    http://cache.olympusamerica.com/stat...Rebate_USA.pdf
    We seem to be entitled a 10% discount on Olympus accessories ...

    Nearly snapped up a 12-40 today.
    Got an in stock email notification from my dealer, did order it at once via my smartphone (well admittedly, it took me half an hour or so) selecting pick-up on Saturday, received the order confirmation (or so I thought) and felt lucky.
    However, an hour later I received another notice that unfortunately it was not possible to pick-up the lens on Saturday as the lens was already OoS ...
    Stupid iPhone ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hi Tim,

    The last one is my favorite!!!
    It would fit nicely in the collection of autumn pictures though!

    Autumn where I live is boring. As are all of the other seasons. Case in point:

    Autumn

    Seawall by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

    Winter

    Seawall by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

    Spring

    Seawall by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

    Summer

    Seawall by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

    The only real differentiator we have is the quantity of rain. Winter is drier than the rest of the year. Cold winter day = 72F (22C) which, I am told, is considered a July heat wave in Helsinki. We usually have a week or two where it dips down into the 30'sF (5C-0C) at night, inland.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #36
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Sounds like where I live (except for the rocks). One boring season after the other

  37. #37
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Sounds like where I live (except for the rocks). One boring season after the other
    Yes Jim, Sarasota and Miami are similar (your pictures would be pointing in the opposite direction assuming you are facing north as I was - left coast of Florida vs right coast).
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Hi,
    While the Nikon 24-70 is good I never found it a great lens. The Canon 24-70ii seems quite a bit sharper over the range. So I am also not surprized if the new Oly 12-40 is sharper. How do you think would the new Oly compare to the Pana 12-35? those midrange zooms are just so flexible lemses. great if oly have such a good lens now.
    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    OK here is another data point. Again please accept that this is for now somewhat unscientific, I am just playing and the weather is waaay too bad here to go do this outside with mid-distance building facades or landscapes on a tripod etc but I wanted to try a little handheld, real-world experiment. So I shot the same interior flat facade with the EM-1 with 12-40 and the D800E with 28-70. Both frames were shot at the widest end, wide open, both with centre single AF. But I set the Nikon to Auto ISO and in the menu setting, 'faster' was selected for the choice of shutter speed: in my experience, with a heavy and unstabilised lens like this, that is required if one is to reliably avoid camera shake. The Oly I set to ISO 200 and just let the shutter speed fall where it would, which was at 1/20th. Again, real world, that is how I would shoot a static subject with this setup.

    Metering was auto for both and though the Nikon looks like it had a +1/3rd that is because my camera is permanently set to a -1/3rd bias. Nonetheless the Nikon gave the scene a bit more exposure, I estimate that at about a third of a stop, which is why I usually have it set to a small negative.

    Then I gave both files the exact same LR settings, WB off the white card on the fridge (the Oly got the AWB correct, the Nikon did not). The only difference was I enabled lens corrections in the Nikon so as to match the in-camera adjustments made to the RAW file by the Oly. Nonetheless, the Oly had more vignetting but not to a degree that I mind about.

    The Nikon chose an ISO of 1400 in order to get the shutter speed it felt it needed (1/100th). I could possibly have shot it at ISO 1000 instead with the same shutter speed so as to more closely match the exposure of the Oly frame but, the point of this was 'shoot them as you'd use them'.

    Then I exported both files to 2304 pixels on the long side. That equates to a 200 DPI print of around 20" if you view the file at 100% on a normal (non-retina) screen. It also has the advantage of meaning that both files have been downsized from 'native' and therefore both are 'processed'.

    Like I say, unscientific but interesting. It tends to confirm my suspicion that the Oly lens is sharper, especially at the edges, and that the noise advantage of the Nikon is largely lost due to the need to shoot at higher ISO, because there's no IS. Or course, in good light the Nikon would win much more clearly on file quality but for this print size, the difference would IMHO be more than negated by the better performance of the Oly lens.

    Links are to the files.

    http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s10...1046503986.jpg

    http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v128/p673561323.jpg

    I will run tests such as this much more scientifically when time and weather allow but for now, this does tend to confirm my first impression of better wide end sharpness of the Oly lens.

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Yes Jim, Sarasota and Miami are similar (your pictures would be pointing in the opposite direction assuming you are facing north as I was - left coast of Florida vs right coast).
    My heart bleeds for you. We have six months of rain and winds and grey skies in front of us. So Exhilirating

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #40
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Hmm. I keep jonesing for that Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8. I think I'll fit the Summicron-R 50/2 for my walk today and see what I see with it.

    G

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    My heart bleeds for you. We have six months of rain and winds and grey skies in front of us. So Exhilirating
    True that my winter clothes only see action when I travel, Jim and I have to travel to see fall colors. Down here, the leaves fall all year in tiny bits and are blown away or mulched by the lawnmower.

    This isn't helping me, is it?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  42. #42
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    A little update people... I shot a full aperture series this morning along with quite a few other frames and I urge you: if you have an EM-1, run to the nearest dealer with stock and buy this lens. Pawn your children, sell the car, cash in your pension. And if you don't have an EM-1, buy one and then buy the lens. It is a good lens.

    I will be writing this all up soon-ish.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Hmm. I keep jonesing for that Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8. I think I'll fit the Summicron-R 50/2 for my walk today and see what I see with it.

    G
    The 45 Macro was one of my favorite three M 4/3 lenses when I owned it. The Olympus 12-40 looks like a winner for most as well.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  44. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Any comments on close-focus performance? Will this work as a poor-man's (!) macro for things like flowers? Thanks!

  45. #45
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by dhazeghi View Post
    Any comments on close-focus performance? Will this work as a poor-man's (!) macro for things like flowers? Thanks!
    I have just published the review and have added a brief word on macro just for you ;-)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tim Ashley's top score for the 12-40 "pro" 2.8 M.Zuiko

    Olympus has made really first-rate zooms for some time. I picked up an 11-22 plain 4/3 Zuiko f/2.8-3.5 to use with the new Pen and E-M1. It cost less than half of the cost of the new lens. I showed some images from the 11-22 at all focal lengths over in the E-M1 thread, and they are just as sharp and contrasty as I remembered, definitely up to the requirements of 16 Sony megapixels. Focusing on a Pen is awkward, however; I hope the E-M1 fixes this.

    In response to the last two posts, I checked close focusing. The 11-22 focuses down to .25 meters, which leaves the lens shade a few inches away from the object being focused on. At 22 mm I saw no distortion, but at 11 mm there was a considerable amount of barrel distortion. For flowers, this would probably not matter, but for copying there are better solutions.

    scott

  47. #47
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I have just published the review and have added a brief word on macro just for you ;-)
    Many thanks Tim. I didn't know you could write so enthusiastically!
    I am looking forward to my copy of the lens whenever it will arrive.
    Hopefully soon. Until then I will do with some Leica glass.

    Tim Ashley Photography | Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro M.Zuiko Review: "The Hammer"

    There has to be quite some processing going on in the E-M1 with that lens.
    Fine with me. I could also attach that lens to E-M5 and E-P2 and look for differences.
    Interesting could also be how that lens does on a non-Olympus camera.
    That should shine some light on the E-M1 in-camera processing as well, I would think.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 3rd November 2013 at 07:05.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #48
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Many thanks Tim. I didn't know you could write so enthusiastically!
    I am looking forward to my copy of the lens whenever it will arrive.
    Hopefully soon. Until then I will do with some Leica glass.

    Tim Ashley Photography | Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro M.Zuiko Review: "The Hammer"

    There has to be quite some processing going on in the E-M1 with that lens.
    Fine with me. I could also attach that lens to E-M5 and E-P2 and look for differences.
    Interesting could also be how that lens does on a non-Olympus camera.
    That should shine some light on the E-M1 in-camera processing as well, I would think.
    Hopefully, Olympus will offer a firmware update for older bodies like the E-M5 and E-P5 to make them fully compatible with the new zoom.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #49
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tim Ashley's top score for the 12-40 "pro" 2.8 M.Zuiko

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Olympus has made really first-rate zooms for some time. I picked up an 11-22 plain 4/3 Zuiko f/2.8-3.5 to use with the new Pen and E-M1. It cost less than half of the cost of the new lens. I showed some images from the 11-22 at all focal lengths over in the E-M1 thread, and they are just as sharp and contrasty as I remembered, definitely up to the requirements of 16 Sony megapixels. Focusing on a Pen is awkward, however; I hope the E-M1 fixes this.

    In response to the last two posts, I checked close focusing. The 11-22 focuses down to .25 meters, which leaves the lens shade a few inches away from the object being focused on. At 22 mm I saw no distortion, but at 11 mm there was a considerable amount of barrel distortion. For flowers, this would probably not matter, but for copying there are better solutions.
    The 11-22 is one of my all-time favorite lenses, bar none. It's not intended for flat art copy work so corrections in the near field are likely not optimized there. The rectilinear distortion at 11mm was measured at 3% for architectural uses and goes to near 0% by 15-16mm.

    If you want flat art copy, a 35 Macro or 50 macro is designed for that. The 35 Macro also has a bit of barrel distortion (more than the 11-22 in general), the 50 Macro has almost none.

    The good news is that both the 11-22 and 35 Macro barrel distortion at close range is simple, entirely spherical in nature and is very very easy to remove in post processing if you're doing critical work. Olympus image processing software contained corrections and did it for you automatically in the past if you wanted to use it. The E-M1 is supposed to have all the image processing corrections for all Olympus FT and mFT lenses built into it, so you may not see any of it with either lens using the E-M1 ...

    Hmm. Time for another test. ;-)

    G

  50. #50
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Many thanks Tim. I didn't know you could write so enthusiastically!
    Thanks Karl Heinz - it came as a surprise to me too!

    Regarding processing in-camera, I think there is possibly a little bit of sharpness falloff correction going on even to the RAW file. Quite subtle and it might not even be there but in one or two files I felt there might be a touch more noise towards the edges. I will be looking into this more when I review the EM-1 itself...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •