Site Sponsors

Thread: OMD EM-1 IBIS Noise

Post Thanks / Like

OMD EM-1 IBIS Noise

Good morning everyone. I picked up my new EM-1 yesterday. So far, seems like a very nice improvement to my EM-5 which I already enjoy.

I have two questions:

1) The IBIS makes a noise when it is operating. My EM-5 does not. Has anyone else noticed this?

2) First few frames look pretty poor in LR 5 - saturation, shadow tonality, even sharpness. I read that LR 5.2 support for EM-1 was considered "preliminary". Has anyone heard of Adobe's plans to address this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

George Pappas

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: OMD EM-1 IBIS Noise

5.3 was just released and lists the EM-1 as a newly covered camera

Post Thanks / Like

1) my early EM-5 made an IBIS noise constantly until a firmware fix made it audible only on a half press of the shutter; after the picture was taken the sound stopped.
    My EM-1 which I only got yesterday afternoon, acts the same way as the EM-5 after its firmware fix but it does appear to remain audible for slightly longer than I would expect, or remember my EM-5 doing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by georgecpappas View Post
    1) The IBIS makes a noise when it is operating. My EM-5 does not. Has anyone else noticed this?

2) First few frames look pretty poor in LR 5 - saturation, shadow tonality, even sharpness. I read that LR 5.2 support for EM-1 was considered "preliminary". Has anyone heard of Adobe's plans to address this?
    - The E-M1 IBIS does indeed make a little whirring sound for a bit, from when the shutter release is lightly pressed to a second or so after I've released it. I've already stopped hearing it. :-)

- LR 5.2 support for the E-M1 was rated "preliminary" and had a fairly rough camera calibration profile. LR 5.3RC removes the "preliminary" tag on E-M1 support: it has a new camera calibration profile and allows the files to be processed with alternative camera calibration profiles, for example the Huelight and Xrite Passport profiles. I'm finding its rendering of E-M1 files much improved in every way.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up my new E-M1 late last week.

The one aspect of IBIS that really took me aback was the noise level. I am actually finding it louder than I remember on my E-M5.

Can anybody else comment on the relative noise levels between the IBIS on these two cameras?