Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GM1 anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GM1 anyone?

The command dial can be accidentally knocked but so can many other cameras' buttons - nothing new here. One has to find ways around these niggles and just get on with what the camera does well and, IMO, that is rather a lot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    The command dial can be accidentally knocked but so can many other cameras' buttons - nothing new here. One has to find ways around these niggles and just get on with what the camera does well and, IMO, that is rather a lot.
    totally agree. FOr my taste buttons etc of many m43 camera are slightly too small. The smaller the camera gets the more compromises regarding user interface one has to accept.
    In my limited experience the gm1 handling is fine for its size.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ming Thein apparently likes the little bugger

Review: The Panasonic Lumix GM1

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still on the fence for this camera. I was considering either this or a GX7 as a carry everywhere with small primes and the 7-14mm in a small Domke kit.

I played with a GX7 a month or so ago at my local camera store, I liked how it felt. They were breaking up a kit and offering the body only for $800CDN. I was very tempted.

I played with a GM1 a little last week. A cinematographer friend had one and the 12-35mm 2.8 on it to use as a director's viewfinder when scouting locations, to take quick stills for lighting tests and reference video of things.

The menus weren't too bad, not that different than my older Panasonic bodies. It was kind of silly with the 12-35mm lens on it. I can see how it would be lovely with the 14mm/20mm or the kit zoom on it.

Since my current 'carry all the time' camera is my Canon S95 in a belt pouch, I don't think the lack of OVF/EVF would bother me.

And both the GM1 and the GX7 keep dropping in price. Maybe if I wait long enough, I can just buy both and carry the GM1 with kit zoom and a 14mm pancake all the time and take a GX7 and primes kit out when I want to do more "serious" shooting?

Chris
    www.partnersinrum.com www.flickr.com/photos/crm_pir/
    Panasonic Gear: GF1, GF1 IR, GH1, GH2 Nikon Gear: D700*2, D300, D70 IR
    Many more Nikon DSLRs & 35mm, 6x6, 6x7 Film gear too.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry and other GM1 users, how are you doing with this camera after more use now?
    Favorite lenses on it?

Thanks
    Po

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Terry and other GM1 users, how are you doing with this camera after more use now?
    Favorite lenses on it?

Thanks
    Po
    Well, the camera works fine but I don't use it much. Most of the time I grab a bigger camera like a DSLR or the Leica M.
    And if I take a small one its often the X2.
    I never had any problem with the GM1, and I can reach all buttons, but the X2 feels more camera like for my taste.
    Nothing wrong with the GM1, but so far I have not really connected to it.
    I think its too small for me, and to thick for a pocket camera.

Favorite lens; #1 17/1.8 and #2 the small kit lens; I never tried anything else on it.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite two are the 45 1.8 and then either the kit zoom or the 14 2.5

All are tiny and fit well on the camera. I also just got the 25 1.8 and it is a really nice size and quality lens for the GM1 as well. If I take the 25 1.8, then it is a one lens all rounder for me.

I use it when I think I will need available light and want really small but good quality, usually in my jacket pocket.

So I still enjoy it a lot after a few months, but I also mix it up and take out the Leica or canon depending on the occasion.

Nobody is intimidated when I use this camera, it is so small they think it must just be a cheap point and shoot, and face on, it is smaller than a cell phone.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Some recent photos with GM1 and kit zoom. Spring has come to Vancouver.

Dave
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics. The kit lens is a little gem. I just got the Franiec grip for my GM1 and it is really useful, especially with the Oly 45, making the combo feel more stable. A sound investment (of $34)

Post Thanks / Like

The more I use the GM-1, the more I love it. The quality is superb for the size and price, with the very capable kit lens contributing to the results. I think a few prime lenses are in order now. Either the Panasonic 14 f2.5 or 15mm f1.7 will be great for street photography. I think I am prepared to put up with the quality compromise of the former in light of its very low price, ultra light weight and good performance at f4-5.6 (which is where I'll shoot it).

I enjoy using this little gem so much that I wonder if some of my larger and technically more capable cameras have seen their day...

Post Thanks / Like

1600 ISO with 12-32

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Large sensor tiny size and heat becomes an issue. I understand that is why some video modes are more constrained on this camera.
    I'm interested in knowing what these restrictions are with regards to video. For example, I'd imagine there might be a severe limit to the maximum recording time? Ive just checked - it's about 30 minutes which seems quite reasonable. I see that you've got manual exposure control during video shooting but unfortunately no control over iso so that's one strike against it.

For a small, compact camera like the GM1, I was expecting a reduction in weight too. However, I was surprised to find that it's heavier than my G2, according to online specs.