The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GM1 anyone?

Annna T

Thanks Annna T. I have been looking at the Panasonic 20 1.7 along with the 14mm and had not thought of the greater depth in the frame due to the aspect ratio of 4:3 vs the more familiar (to me) 3:2. I bought the camera to take everywhere, big lenses will defeat the purpose. The 20mm fits in with this philosophy nicely.
MMmmm after rereading your post, you said you would get the 14mm or the 17mm, but in my fast reading I mangled that to the 14mm and perhaps the 17mm, so while the 20mm would nicely replace a 17mm (at least for me), it won't replace a 14mm if you want a moderate wide angle. Although people used to say that the 20mm was rather 19mm in fact (I never checked, so don't really know). For sure, I was surprised with my first 20mm MFT shots, because there was often much more foreground than I wanted and I had to pick longer vocals than what I was used to with 3:2 format. It is nice to have 4:3 in portrait format though. Yes there is much more DOF with MFT and that is very nice for someone not caring for oof bokeÿ, but rather for sharpness.

jonoslack

Go for the 20mm F 1.7 Panaonic instead of the Olympus 17mm :
Hi There
It rather depends whether you're talking about the 17 f2.8 or the 17 f1.8 - in the first instance I'd agree (hands down), but in the second I wouldn't. trouble with the panasonic 20 (which I agree is excellent optically) is that the focusing is rather slow (so is the Olympus f2.8). The new Olympus f1.8 is a lovely lens, with fast AF, and still pretty small (although not a pancake).

iiiNelson

Hi There
It rather depends whether you're talking about the 17 f2.8 or the 17 f1.8 - in the first instance I'd agree (hands down), but in the second I wouldn't. trouble with the panasonic 20 (which I agree is excellent optically) is that the focusing is rather slow (so is the Olympus f2.8). The new Olympus f1.8 is a lovely lens, with fast AF, and still pretty small (although not a pancake).
The 20mm focused pretty friggin fast on Panasonic bodies. I bought it (and sold it) with my GX1. I still miss that camera but it was sacrificed towards a M9 soooo...

Annna T

Hi There
I was thinking to the 17mm F1.8, which given the diminutive size of the GM1 would be a little big on it. But of course the 20mm would be an even better alternative to the 17mm F2.8.

I'm not bothered by the focusing speed of the 20mm F1.7, even when used on my olympus bodies. Yes, it can hunt a little in darker environment. But when using the center point and the focus and reframe technique (that is my usual way), I don't really notice a slower AF performance. But then, I'm rarely shooting action. I keep a 1/8th sec. antishock delay on the E-M5 to be sure to avoid shutter shock. So my perception may be biased comparing to street photos shooters.

nostatic

I've been seduced by the A7 so my GM1 and some glass is in the classifieds. I did use it to take the photos for my new album cover though - punches way above its weight.

turtle

The more I shoot it, the better it gets....

Its a palm sized notebook with results that can be exhibited. Tremendous...

FlypenFly

Biggest worry for me is the control dial on the back. LL says it's seriously flawed and dpreview also seems to be annoyed with accidental presses. Thoughts?

turtle

The command dial can be accidentally knocked but so can many other cameras' buttons - nothing new here. One has to find ways around these niggles and just get on with what the camera does well and, IMO, that is rather a lot.

Paratom

The command dial can be accidentally knocked but so can many other cameras' buttons - nothing new here. One has to find ways around these niggles and just get on with what the camera does well and, IMO, that is rather a lot.
totally agree. FOr my taste buttons etc of many m43 camera are slightly too small. The smaller the camera gets the more compromises regarding user interface one has to accept.
In my limited experience the gm1 handling is fine for its size.

cmcmillan

I'm still on the fence for this camera. I was considering either this or a GX7 as a carry everywhere with small primes and the 7-14mm in a small Domke kit.

I played with a GX7 a month or so ago at my local camera store, I liked how it felt. They were breaking up a kit and offering the body only for $800CDN. I was very tempted.

I played with a GM1 a little last week. A cinematographer friend had one and the 12-35mm 2.8 on it to use as a director's viewfinder when scouting locations, to take quick stills for lighting tests and reference video of things.

The menus weren't too bad, not that different than my older Panasonic bodies. It was kind of silly with the 12-35mm lens on it. I can see how it would be lovely with the 14mm/20mm or the kit zoom on it.

Since my current 'carry all the time' camera is my Canon S95 in a belt pouch, I don't think the lack of OVF/EVF would bother me.

And both the GM1 and the GX7 keep dropping in price. Maybe if I wait long enough, I can just buy both and carry the GM1 with kit zoom and a 14mm pancake all the time and take a GX7 and primes kit out when I want to do more "serious" shooting? :D

Chris

pophoto

Terry and other GM1 users, how are you doing with this camera after more use now?
Favorite lenses on it?

Thanks
Po

Paratom

Terry and other GM1 users, how are you doing with this camera after more use now?
Favorite lenses on it?

Thanks
Po
Well, the camera works fine but I don't use it much. Most of the time I grab a bigger camera like a DSLR or the Leica M.
And if I take a small one its often the X2.
I never had any problem with the GM1, and I can reach all buttons, but the X2 feels more camera like for my taste.
Nothing wrong with the GM1, but so far I have not really connected to it.
I think its too small for me, and to thick for a pocket camera.

Favorite lens; #1 17/1.8 and #2 the small kit lens; I never tried anything else on it.

DaveS

My favorite two are the 45 1.8 and then either the kit zoom or the 14 2.5

All are tiny and fit well on the camera. I also just got the 25 1.8 and it is a really nice size and quality lens for the GM1 as well. If I take the 25 1.8, then it is a one lens all rounder for me.

I use it when I think I will need available light and want really small but good quality, usually in my jacket pocket.

So I still enjoy it a lot after a few months, but I also mix it up and take out the Leica or canon depending on the occasion.

Nobody is intimidated when I use this camera, it is so small they think it must just be a cheap point and shoot, and face on, it is smaller than a cell phone.

Dave

Glenn

Nice pics. The kit lens is a little gem. I just got the Franiec grip for my GM1 and it is really useful, especially with the Oly 45, making the combo feel more stable. A sound investment (of $34) ;)

turtle

The more I use the GM-1, the more I love it. The quality is superb for the size and price, with the very capable kit lens contributing to the results. I think a few prime lenses are in order now. Either the Panasonic 14 f2.5 or 15mm f1.7 will be great for street photography. I think I am prepared to put up with the quality compromise of the former in light of its very low price, ultra light weight and good performance at f4-5.6 (which is where I'll shoot it).

I enjoy using this little gem so much that I wonder if some of my larger and technically more capable cameras have seen their day...