Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 62

Thread: GM1 anyone?

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    GM1 anyone?

    Mine arrived this weekend.... feels really solidly built. Well sorted out controls where I don't feel like I'm far away from anything I need for my shooting. A lot of lenses feel really comfortable on the camera in addition to the kit lens (14, 20, 25, 45, 9-18, and believe it or not the ply 14-150 is with its slender size can get the longer reach but isn't stabilized).

    A couple from the weekend including the obligatory kids, dogs, food, and scenery). All shot jpeg at standard settings without really any tweaks.

    Attachment 78853

    Attachment 78854

    Attachment 78855

    Attachment 78856

    Attachment 78857
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jim Radcliffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Really good shots, Terry! Very sharp and good color.

    And welcome back... good to see you posting. You have been missed.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Beautiful shot of the little girl, Terry. I think Panasonic has themselves a couple of winners with the GX7 and GM1.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I'd love to hear some more of your experiences as you use the camera. My company has gotten a little more strict about me bringing in my camera and I'm looking for something more compact than the E-M5. I'm kind of waffling between the GM1 and Ricoh GR at the moment. The shots look great. Are you finding the controls easy enough to use?
    Charles - flickr

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    How do you like it?
    I am interested in one as a fast compact with good IQ.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Hi There Terry
    Great shots and really glad to see you back here. I hope all's well in New York.
    Don't have the camera (but I can certainly see the point!).
    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    How do you like it?
    I am interested in one as a fast compact with good IQ.
    So far, I really like it. Sometimes a small things can be too small if the controls and layout aren't well thought out. This one is very well sorted out. It pairs up nicely with a number of different lenses. The big difference to me in terms of this vs. most compacts is responsiveness and controls. The AF is fast and sure. Most people are comparing to buying an RX100 which is a camera ultimately I didn't like because it just wasn't a fun camera to shoot with but a point and shoot with better IQ (first version haven't used new one). The GM1 handles like its big brothers not like a P&S.

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Terry
    Great shots and really glad to see you back here. I hope all's well in New York.
    Don't have the camera (but I can certainly see the point!).
    all the best
    Hi Jono,
    After many months of working on an apartment renovation I now have time to start thinking about and doing other things. My photography had pretty much stagnated. So, nothing like a new camera to try and get creative again.

    So more to come from the GM1 but boy this little gem was launched at a good time for me .
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Hi Terry,

    great to see you back!

    What interests me is why it is the GM1 and not the GX7 with built in EVF. I see the point that the GM1 is smaller but I would miss the EVF. What about you?

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I do like a viewfinder. However, GM1 is one of two m4/3 cameras I have. So one is with and one without is just fine with me. I got this for the size. I liked the Pentax Q and this is the same size with the benefit that all my m4/3 lenses work and it can be a backup for photography based trips. Fits in my P&S pouches even with lens attached. So, GM1 to me is instead of things like RX100, Fuji X20 and all of those cameras but with the added benefit that is fits into my whole system. Nothing stopping me from putting it behind the larger 100-300mm tripod mounted with tripod collar on the lens.

  11. #11
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I do like a viewfinder. However, GM1 is one of two m4/3 cameras I have. So one is with and one without is just fine with me. I got this for the size. I liked the Pentax Q and this is the same size with the benefit that all my m4/3 lenses work and it can be a backup for photography based trips. Fits in my P&S pouches even with lens attached. So, GM1 to me is instead of things like RX100, Fuji X20 and all of those cameras but with the added benefit that is fits into my whole system. Nothing stopping me from putting it behind the larger 100-300mm tripod mounted with tripod collar on the lens.
    Got it, thanks! Maybe a good idea I also should follow

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Hi Terry,

    Good to see you post again! Back in NY? I hope all is well.

    Nice photos with the GM1. It looks such a tiny thing ... glad to see that it works well for you. I'll be interested to see your how photos with it develop.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    G

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Hi Terry,

    great to see you back!

    What interests me is why it is the GM1 and not the GX7 with built in EVF. I see the point that the GM1 is smaller but I would miss the EVF. What about you?

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Peter
    HI Peter - have you seen quite how MUCH smaller it is:

    GX7 vs GM1

    Just this guy you know

  14. #14
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Peter - have you seen quite how MUCH smaller it is:

    GX7 vs GM1
    The tiny size is indeed impressive. Actually I might go that road for a tiny P&S with the kit lens which also seems to be great .....

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Peter - have you seen quite how MUCH smaller it is:

    GX7 vs GM1
    It is indeed quite teensy. :-)
    It will be a natural with the extremely compact kit zoom or the 14mm f/2.5.

    G

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Hi Godfrey,

    Yep, back in NY.

    There are a few lenses that are "perfect"sized lenses on the camera. The 45mm f1.8 was used for the shots in the first post. It is just about the same size as the kit lens when it is extended.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Looking good. I will get the GM 1 and mate it with the f1.8 45mm. Together with the Ricoh GR it will make for a very compact high IQ jacket pocket/belt pouch combo. The GM1 with the 45mm is the perfect social event/candid unobtrusive solution.

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Give my regards to Broadway! :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    ...
    There are a few lenses that are "perfect"sized lenses on the camera. The 45mm f1.8 was used for the shots in the first post. It is just about the same size as the kit lens when it is extended.
    Certainly did a good job with it!

    It would be amusing to see the GM1 fitted to the Oly ZD 50-200 with EC-20 on a tripod, or the ZD 90-250. :-)

    Were I to get one, tho, I'd probably have the 14/2.5 on it most of the time, or the Olympus BCL 15mm f8. Wides and LCD viewfinder bodies work well together.

    G

  19. #19
    Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NY, NJ, United States
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Hi Terry,
    It's very nice to see you back here, waiting to see more posts and test results.
    Best,
    -----------
    Manouch

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Give my regards to Broadway! :-)



    Certainly did a good job with it!

    It would be amusing to see the GM1 fitted to the Oly ZD 50-200 with EC-20 on a tripod, or the ZD 90-250. :-)

    Were I to get one, tho, I'd probably have the 14/2.5 on it most of the time, or the Olympus BCL 15mm f8. Wides and LCD viewfinder bodies work well together.

    G
    I have both the 14 and the 15 and have been playing around with both. I will take some shots with various lenses mounted tomorrow.

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by manouch shirzad View Post
    Hi Terry,
    It's very nice to see you back here, waiting to see more posts and test results.
    Best,
    -----------
    Manouch
    Hi Manouch....hiatus for a move to NY and renovations put photography on the back burner....but I miss it so....nothing like some new gear!

    Terry

  22. #22
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I just got the GM1, briefly had the GX7, and also have the GH3 (just sold the EM5). The GM1 is a ridiculously amazing engineering feat. The GH3 dwarfs it. And the kit lens is really well executed. The camera with the 12-32 kit lens fits in the small case that I used for past DLux4 and and Canon S110. Yes, the setup is that small. I actually am shooting it like a P&S - thumb/middle finger at the base, index finder on the shutter. One handed - amazing.

    I need to get the 20/1.7 - I think that would be the other perfect lens, though the Oly 45/1.8 handles really well too. The Panny f2.8 zooms are a bit oversized and you really can't shoot that setup one-handed.
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I bet the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS would also work very nicely on the GM1, given its image stabilization system. It's been one of my favorite lenses in mFT ... :-)

    G

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I bet the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS would also work very nicely on the GM1, given its image stabilization system. It's been one of my favorite lenses in mFT ... :-)

    G
    Unfortunately I don't own that lens anymore. Dumb on my part. Expensive relative to the 45 f1.8 to buy back.

  25. #25
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Colours, anyone? I'm sure they would be cheaper than a Lunar

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I was looking at those earlier this AM. I do like the brown and red at the back....

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Colours, anyone? I'm sure they would be cheaper than a Lunar

    I want the red one! or the snake-skin! ;-)

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    brown one in the back is a beauty!

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    The GM1 is a great little camera, I love the small size. Here is a pic next to one of my favorite film cameras for travel, the TC1 - I travelled the world with that one when I used slide film. (They are both roughly the same size but the lens makes it almost twice the thickness.)

    I also lined it up with some other M4/3 lenses that seem to match the small size when mounted on the body. 9-18mm, 60mm macro, 45mm 1.8, and 14mm 2.5.

    Looking forward to taking it out later today.

    PS: I took the photo with a Canon 6D and 85mm 1.2. The lens alone weighs more than the whole kit of the GM1, and is almost as big....

    Dave

  30. #30
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I am glad there is some interest in this little beauty.
    I've considered a RX100 but the GM1 make more sense as I can put it in my m43 kit and it has a lot more versatility.

    I have the 14mm, 20mm and 45mm. Pair the GM with 45mm and add my Ricoh GR as suggested above and I have a great minimal travel kit.
    IF only someone would bring out a good IQ 10mm prime for m43. Puleeze!

    Another use I have for this is it will be lightweight hardware on any astronomical telescope for the odd astro photo.

    Here's one of those camera comparisons for the heck - Compact Camera Meter

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Not sure about for astro. I don't know how long of shutter speeds you need but I think there are some exposure limits on the camera. Large sensor tiny size and heat becomes an issue. I understand that is why some video modes are more constrained on this camera.

  32. #32
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Not sure about for astro. I don't know how long of shutter speeds you need but I think there are some exposure limits on the camera. Large sensor tiny size and heat becomes an issue. I understand that is why some video modes are more constrained on this camera.
    yeah, perhaps not, specs say out to 60 sec I think, if I am reading that right.

    FWIW they have launched a promo website - http://lumixgm.tumblr.com/

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    60 secs. Is what I remember reading.

    Time check out that link.

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Well, after about a week with the GM1, the one thing it really, really needs, is a way to assign FN1 button to toggle on/off the touch screen. I just can't seem to use touch screen without moving my focus point, no matter how much I pay attention. I didn't somehow miss that setting somewhere, did I?

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I am glad there is some interest in this little beauty.
    I've considered a RX100 but the GM1 make more sense as I can put it in my m43 kit and it has a lot more versatility.

    I have the 14mm, 20mm and 45mm. Pair the GM with 45mm and add my Ricoh GR as suggested above and I have a great minimal travel kit.
    IF only someone would bring out a good IQ 10mm prime for m43. Puleeze!

    Another use I have for this is it will be lightweight hardware on any astronomical telescope for the odd astro photo.

    Here's one of those camera comparisons for the heck - Compact Camera Meter
    Hi Tim,
    I got a GM1 and like it so far - but be warned that as soon as you put it in a small back its considerably bigger (because of the lens) than the RX100.
    The GM1 with its small kit lens just fits in the orange bag, the rx100 is in the black bag.
    However one can not put a 17/1.8 on the RX100

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Place, WA.
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    After seeing the GM1 review pics on dpreview with the grip, I decided to buy it, but in black. Found one from Japan for a reasonable price. After it arrived in a few days and playing around with it I think I might rebuild my mFT kit. First I bought the grip and then the 20mm lens. I'm thinking of adding the 7-14 and calling it a day. For now.

    Build quality is up there. The lens is excellent. Tiny as heck. Bouncing the flash. Thinking of adding this to my RX-1 bag until I gather up the other lenses I want.

  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Here some pics from this evening. The GM1 makes fun.


    P1110326 von Karl-H.Friedrichs auf Flickr

    No, it's not the Mississippi, its a small river in Frankfurt/Germany


    P1110317 von Karl-H.Friedrichs auf Flickr

    Greetings, Karl
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I bought one and think that I finally have my ideal 'carry everywhere' camera.

    IQ is very good for A2 prints.
    Its tiny.
    Nobody gives it a second look.
    It is very responsive, with quick AF.
    It is silent.

    I also bought the A7R, but was surprised to find myself far more excited by the GM-1. This little pocket rocket will go everywhere with me in my jacket pocket.

    The kit lens is a touch soft in the extreme corners at all apertures, but its not much of an issue with most images.. I'll probably buy the 14mm 2.5 to give me a moderately fast 28mm equivalent. Or perhaps a 17mm.

    Sure its an expensive little camera, but compared to the RX100 II it was a simple decision due to sensor size, high ISO and interchangeable lenses.

  39. #39
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I bought one and think that I finally have my ideal 'carry everywhere' camera.

    IQ is very good for A2 prints.
    Its tiny.
    Nobody gives it a second look.
    It is very responsive, with quick AF.
    It is silent.

    I also bought the A7R, but was surprised to find myself far more excited by the GM-1. This little pocket rocket will go everywhere with me in my jacket pocket.

    The kit lens is a touch soft in the extreme corners at all apertures, but its not much of an issue with most images.. I'll probably buy the 14mm 2.5 to give me a moderately fast 28mm equivalent. Or perhaps a 17mm.

    Sure its an expensive little camera, but compared to the RX100 II it was a simple decision due to sensor size, high ISO and interchangeable lenses.
    Go for the 20mm F 1.7 Panaonic instead of the Olympus 17mm : it is a pancake too and barely bigger than the 14mm, but it is among the sharpest MFT lens. Unless you really want 35mm equivalent. But I find 28mm quite near of 17mm, so the few difference existing between 17mm and 20mm won't be too disturbing. Especially when using 4:3 format instead of 3:2 : in landscape orientation you get enough height..
    (Just my 2 cents and from an Olympus fan)

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Thanks Annna T. I have been looking at the Panasonic 20 1.7 along with the 14mm and had not thought of the greater depth in the frame due to the aspect ratio of 4:3 vs the more familiar (to me) 3:2. I bought the camera to take everywhere, big lenses will defeat the purpose. The 20mm fits in with this philosophy nicely.

  41. #41
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Thanks Annna T. I have been looking at the Panasonic 20 1.7 along with the 14mm and had not thought of the greater depth in the frame due to the aspect ratio of 4:3 vs the more familiar (to me) 3:2. I bought the camera to take everywhere, big lenses will defeat the purpose. The 20mm fits in with this philosophy nicely.
    MMmmm after rereading your post, you said you would get the 14mm or the 17mm, but in my fast reading I mangled that to the 14mm and perhaps the 17mm, so while the 20mm would nicely replace a 17mm (at least for me), it won't replace a 14mm if you want a moderate wide angle. Although people used to say that the 20mm was rather 19mm in fact (I never checked, so don't really know). For sure, I was surprised with my first 20mm MFT shots, because there was often much more foreground than I wanted and I had to pick longer vocals than what I was used to with 3:2 format. It is nice to have 4:3 in portrait format though. Yes there is much more DOF with MFT and that is very nice for someone not caring for oof boke˙, but rather for sharpness.

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Go for the 20mm F 1.7 Panaonic instead of the Olympus 17mm :
    Hi There
    It rather depends whether you're talking about the 17 f2.8 or the 17 f1.8 - in the first instance I'd agree (hands down), but in the second I wouldn't. trouble with the panasonic 20 (which I agree is excellent optically) is that the focusing is rather slow (so is the Olympus f2.8). The new Olympus f1.8 is a lovely lens, with fast AF, and still pretty small (although not a pancake).

    Just this guy you know

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    It rather depends whether you're talking about the 17 f2.8 or the 17 f1.8 - in the first instance I'd agree (hands down), but in the second I wouldn't. trouble with the panasonic 20 (which I agree is excellent optically) is that the focusing is rather slow (so is the Olympus f2.8). The new Olympus f1.8 is a lovely lens, with fast AF, and still pretty small (although not a pancake).
    The 20mm focused pretty friggin fast on Panasonic bodies. I bought it (and sold it) with my GX1. I still miss that camera but it was sacrificed towards a M9 soooo...
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  44. #44
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    It rather depends whether you're talking about the 17 f2.8 or the 17 f1.8 - in the first instance I'd agree (hands down), but in the second I wouldn't. trouble with the panasonic 20 (which I agree is excellent optically) is that the focusing is rather slow (so is the Olympus f2.8). The new Olympus f1.8 is a lovely lens, with fast AF, and still pretty small (although not a pancake).
    I was thinking to the 17mm F1.8, which given the diminutive size of the GM1 would be a little big on it. But of course the 20mm would be an even better alternative to the 17mm F2.8.

    I'm not bothered by the focusing speed of the 20mm F1.7, even when used on my olympus bodies. Yes, it can hunt a little in darker environment. But when using the center point and the focus and reframe technique (that is my usual way), I don't really notice a slower AF performance. But then, I'm rarely shooting action. I keep a 1/8th sec. antishock delay on the E-M5 to be sure to avoid shutter shock. So my perception may be biased comparing to street photos shooters.

  45. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Here the GM1 with the 17/1,8. I think it fits well.

  46. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Just got my GM1 and think it goes well with the Panny 14mm and the Oly 45mm




  47. #47
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I've been seduced by the A7 so my GM1 and some glass is in the classifieds. I did use it to take the photos for my new album cover though - punches way above its weight.

    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    The more I shoot it, the better it gets....

    Its a palm sized notebook with results that can be exhibited. Tremendous...

  49. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    Biggest worry for me is the control dial on the back. LL says it's seriously flawed and dpreview also seems to be annoyed with accidental presses. Thoughts?

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GM1 anyone?

    I see that the famous grip is available at B&H.

    Do you think it is a good idea???

    Martin

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •