The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D EM-5 help needed...

kai.e.g.

I have an unusable rear LCD screen on my OM-D (it cracked when I took a tumble with it). The camera continues to work fine with just the EVF, of course, but I need to keep using it for at least another couple of weeks for some important up-coming events before I send it away for repair. There are two things that don't work for me:

1) I can't access the main menu, since as far as I know, it only displays on the rear LCD. There may be nothing I can do about that (fortunately, I have the super menu activated, and I can see that in the EVF). I wouldn't need it at all, except....

2) I can't play back images for the same reason. I believe this can be fixed, but I need somebody's help to do it.

In truth, I can live without both these things for the short term, but it would be nice to "chimp" sometimes for one of the trips we'll be doing, as I'll be shooting in pretty low light. I have read that it's possible to switch playback to the EVF, by pressing the button on the side of the EVF for several seconds, then switching whatever setting comes up on the rear screen to "no", except I can't see that, and despite blind guessing which buttons I should press at that point, I can't make it happen. Could I trouble some kind soul to please tell me what sequence of buttons to press to get image playback in the EVF, bearing in mind that I can't see any menus on my LCD?

Last edited:

slosync

I have an unusable rear LCD screen on my OM-D (it cracked when I took a tumble with it). The camera continues to work fine with just the EVF, of course, but I need to keep using it for at least another couple of weeks for some important up-coming events before I send it away for repair. There are two things that don't work for me:

1) I can't access the main menu, since as far as I know, it only displays on the rear LCD. There may be nothing I can do about that (fortunately, I have the super menu activated, and I can see that in the EVF). I wouldn't need it at all, except....

2) I can't play back images for the same reason. I believe this can be fixed, but I need somebody's help to do it.

In truth, I can live without both these things for the short term, but it would be nice to "chimp" sometimes for one of the trips we'll be doing, as I'll be shooting in pretty low light. I have read that it's possible to switch playback to the EVF, by pressing the button on the side of the EVF for several seconds, then switching whatever setting comes up on the rear screen to "no", except I can't see that, and despite blind guessing which buttons I should press at that point, I can't make it happen. Could I trouble some kind soul to please tell me what sequence of buttons to press to get image playback in the EVF, bearing in mind that I can't see any menus on my LCD?
I fiddled with my EM5 but didn't come up with any messages as you mentioned above. What I did: I pressed the image playback. Pressed the button on EFV and reviewed images via the EVF. My setting for the EFV is not to automatically switch when putting my eye on EFV. That's the only way I could "chimp" using the EFV.....

Good luck... hope that helps.
Don

kai.e.g.

Thanks, Don. I think that could be my problem: my camera was set to automatically switch, and in that mode it never shows played-back images in the EVF, even if your eye is up to it. A short press of the button next to the EVF does nothing for me in any mode right now. A long press of that button might be displaying the menu option I read about elsewhere... but I can't be sure!

I have to say that it's been fun using the camera a bit like an old film camera lately - not knowing how shots turned out until getting home in the evening!

Last edited:

kai.e.g.

I solved it! That setting for turning the auto-switch EVF on/off when you long-press the EVF button only comes up when you're in shooting mode, and I was only doing it when in playback mode. Switching off auto-eye detect was all that was needed to get playback working in the EVF. All is good now, I can chimp my photos of the weird mountain festival we'll be going to next week ;-)