The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-M1 firmware update 1.1 ...

Godfrey

Thank you Peter and Godfrey, that is a great m4/3 service in every way!
It's great that they're working together.

I just wish I could download a firmware update and install it the way I do with every other system, independent of my camera being connected while the computer and network do their thing. :-\

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's great that they're working together.

I just wish I could download a firmware update and install it the way I do with every other system, independent of my camera being connected while the computer and network do their thing. :-\

G
As long as you do not have to buy a Cloud Service to do that it is ok. Although CUaaS (Camera Update as a Service) would sound really cool :)

scott kirkpatrick

Having to use Olympus Viewer to update the OM-D cameras seems pretty clunky to me, compared to just putting a new firmware file on an SDHC chip but it occurred to me that this may be a requirement if you are going to update firmware on a lens as well as on the body. And it does perform a web check to see if there have been any updates. I discovered an update I missed on one lens when I was installing 1.1 in my E-M1.

scott

mazor

just updated my E-M1 to 1.1 firmware, and it was like hold your breath and hope for good luck. Having to plug in via USB and while requiring a good internet connection, plus stable computer just adds so many variables that can go wrong during the update!

dhsimmonds

But isn't it great that we can also update our lenses as well whilst the camera is still hooked up! :thumbup:

Godfrey

But isn't it great that we can also update our lenses as well whilst the camera is still hooked up! :thumbup:
Ricoh uses downloadable firmware updates with the GXR. Each time they've issued an update, the package includes all the updates for body and each of the six camera units ... just fit body and camera unit together, run the update, swap to the next camera unit, run the update, and so on.

No need to have to disconnect camera after one heart stopping update, then reconnect and go through it the mounting, network search, etc, for each lens in turn.

What about the guy I was helping just the other day who has an E-1 that was still on firmware 1.0? Olympus dropped support for the older models, despite that they are still perfectly usable cameras, with their updaters in 2007-2008. The only way to update now is to use the Studio 2 application, itself discontinued, which is buggy and unstable on Apple systems.

If the firmware update scheme was downloadable update modules like everyone else, all that would be needed is for someone to give him a copy of the fw updates ... As it is, he needed to go through hoops to figure out how to configure a computer system, obtain the buggy/discontinued application, and then HOPE that doing the update wouldn't turn his nice E-1 into an inert lump.

I really really really dislike the "live only" update scheme. No one will ever convince me that this is the right way to manage my camera equipment, which even in this digital age will likely outlast any given computer system I have by more than two to one.

G

mazor

That is definitely a pro using Olympus updater. I just feel nervous that I may turn my E-M1 into a brick should anything go wrong. Also with all the warning messages, like having to use direct USB connection and not through a USB hub, and preferably the use of Windows that came preinstalled on a PC is recommended does not put much confidence in the update method.

mazor

Godfrey, I think it is just you and me that wishes for an offline method of updating our cameras. Call us old school, guess we just like to reduce the odds of bricking our gear.

Knorp

Godfrey, I think it is just you and me that wishes for an offline method of updating our cameras. Call us old school, guess we just like to reduce the odds of bricking our gear.
I hear you, but how often did it happen, if ever ?
Crossing the street is probably more risky :lecture:

Kind regards.