Site Sponsors

Thread: What's a good upgrade to a Lumix G1

Post Thanks / Like

What's a good upgrade to a Lumix G1

I've had this G1 since it was introduced a in I think 2006 or 7. I still love the images I get from this especially when I attached the 50 Summilux ASPH. I do wish for something with better low light performance. So I think it is time to upgrade this. Mainly use with Leica lenses including WATE, 25mm ZM, 35lux, 50lux and even a Nikon 105DC. What is a good body that is great with MF lens and perform great in low light situation. I think EVF is a must due to MF so I am down to GX7, G6 or GH3?

Thanks
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's a good upgrade to a Lumix G1

All are good and would be a good upgrade. GX7 has image stabilization, so that is the one I would recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VINCET View Post
    I've had this G1 since it was introduced a in I think 2006 or 7. I still love the images I get from this especially when I attached the 50 Summilux ASPH. I do wish for something with better low light performance. So I think it is time to upgrade this. Mainly use with Leica lenses including WATE, 25mm ZM, 35lux, 50lux and even a Nikon 105DC. What is a good body that is great with MF lens and perform great in low light situation. I think EVF is a must due to MF so I am down to GX7, G6 or GH3?

Thanks
    Vince
    If you are looking for something at a lower price, the G5 makes a decent upgrade, since its sensor is better. Beyond that, any modern EVF m4/3rds will be a major upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DPreview has an interesting series on "What camera to buy and why".
    You could read their take on midlevel mirrorless cameras here

Or the one on interchangeable lenses cameras for the enthusiasts here (interestingly they are mixing DSLRs and mirrorless in that category).

And now they have just issued their advice on entry level mirror less cameras here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the GX7 offers peaking as a MF aid which i don't think is available on the GH3 or G6.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VINCET View Post
    I'd go with either the GH3 or the GX7. I found the G6 to be a little too small and too light for good balance with heavier lenses when I handled it ... the shape of the GX7 is better, the size of the GH3 is better.

Of course, if you'd like image stabilization for those lenses, the Olympus E-M1 would also be a good choice. It has the best viewfinder of all of them, and the IBIS is outstanding.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
    the GX7 offers peaking as a MF aid which i don't think is available on the GH3 or G6.
    Focus peaking is available on the G6 (I have one) - I don't know about the GH3, but I would have thought that it would be available on that model, too.

That said, I don't regard it as the best implementation of peaking. The peaking highlights are in a light blue colour, which doesn't work well - for me, at least.