The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hey G1 fans.

Brian Mosley

Brian you appear to be saying that using this camera is like pressing the pause button on a video recorder,doesnt appeal a great deal to be honest.
No, just having a little fun with Jono nei1 - please don't be offended, the M8 is lovely really :)

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Jono

I have been a fan of yours for a long time, admiring the shots you have captured etc.

But what the hell is the snide comment about me you managed to sneak in. Do you think I am some rich kvetch that doesn't need to think about money in order to get decent images. I have certainly owned a lot of gear but have been lucky to sell when the value is still high in order to get a newer system which I feel may contribute to even better images.

Why not confine yourself to evaluating images from all of us, regardless of what you think our disposable incomes may be, without stepping under the stairs to make the images you review (or just put down) appear less when viewed from the preamble you presuppose.

Maybe I am just biased but I think your comment is a really cheap shot. Do you know me? If not then why not shut up unless you have some evidence as to my motives.

Christ I thought we had ended this kind of cheap commentery on forums like DP Review. This is not the stuff that the GEt DPI forums are made of. Of if it is, then I will gladly retire to my own thoughts.

Have a nice day

Woody
Well, what I thought I meant was that you would be more concerned with image quality than the cost of the G1, which doesn't seem to me to be excessive enough to warrant selling an M8 body.

If it was a cheap shot, then as an owner of two M8 bodies and a G1, I could certainly be accused of living in a glass house!

Truth is, I was seduced by the idea of the Woody wouldn't he.

Ah well, i suppose I should apologise, but I rather feel like having cracked an innocent joke in the pub and immediately been punched hard in the face with no preamble.

N

nei1

I was refering to your opinion of the G1 not the M8 Brian,seems to me people get offended a little too quickly or to too great a degree here sometimes.To such a degree that Im constantly on guard not to say anything that might offend,not the best thing for an open honest discussion.Those that are regulars here to my mind are a great bunch of people,a bit of slack does not go amiss.

jonoslack

Hey Jono

My opinon is based on the bias that with the EVF of the G1 the number of "misfires" due to poor focus should be less. Thus the G1 may improve the number of "keepers" in total. This is in terms of absolutes, not a few percent of keepers with one system vs another.
Well, I think that is definitely true (in terms of in focus keepers). Whether you'll catch the moment in the same way is what I was questioning.
I am remaining impressed with what can be done with this (seemingly)primitive system compared to a $6K+ Leica rangefinder. I have to say that I think Panasonic has hit the nail on the head with this one. Let's have some cheers for the G1

Woody
Nothing primitive about this - definitely the most advanced autofocus of it's kind.

There have been nothing BUT cheers for the G1, and I quite subscribe to it, but I've not seen any (informed) criticism, and I thought it was worth putting down my feelings - of course, anyone can disagree (and they certainly do :ROTFL:)

Brian Mosley

Sorry nei1, as Jono has demonstrated quite masterfully, text is a crap form of communication - often, one can't read the emotional intent behind the post... and all kinds of offence can be taken.

Now what the hell's wrong with my opinion of the G1? :ROTFL:

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

:cussing: What the HELL is that supposed to mean? :cussing:
:ROTFL:
Woody - why couldn't you have responded like that?

:ROTFL: Seriously though, the harder I work, the luckier I get :D
Absolutely - so you can understand that I was simply telling you how hard you work :)

I think I know what you mean Jono, and with that particular shot I was using the articulating LCD, shooting at waist level (can you do that with your M8? :p) which allows me to see everything and not intimidate the subject with a camera in front of my face.
No, I can't do that with the M8, and you must understand, I think that the G1 is a fabulous camera, both in terms of useability and image quality - with reference to your excellent shot, that expression was not a fleeting one (or, at least, it doesn't look like it).
Mind you, one of the joys of the M8 is that it really doesn't seem to intimidate people when held to your face - certainly less than any other camera I've used.

I'm allowed to make a negative point though - and of course, to be slagged off accordingly :D
Hope you're having a better day today ;)
I was having a fine day yesterday thanks very much :)
Today is also looking up.

(p.s. sorry to remove two of your cusses, I was told I had too many images)

rich s

the 1/100s was plucked from the air (silly me), but if you understand what I'm saying then that's fine.:)

I think that with an optical viewfinder (and practice) there's a whole business about anticipation and response, which really doesn't work that well with an EVF, but hey - it's my opinion, and I'm not trying to present it as a universal truth - simply that if you're used to using an RF (and like it) then you'll find the EVF on the G1 troublesome, even if it is the best EVF ever made!
I've tried the same thing myself, not with an M8 mind you, but against a Ricoh GX-200 - snap or manual mode of course.

Its a nice idea to use the G1 in a street shooting role, but I find the moment can easily be lost somewhere in puddle ...

Give me rough frame deep DOF grainy hip shooting any day - but the G1 has its other strengths of course!

Last edited:

rich s

HI Rich
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Are you really - how very delicious . . . are you spending all your time there too?
A Happy New Year to you too Jono...!

My primary residence is now in France, so al being well, next week I'll be off & away!
Will be at my flat in Pont Aven for most of the time. Soon be spring there ... warm weather, glorious dawns and dusks, slow afternoons in cafes ... can't wait!

Now who fancies a photo trip to sample the delights of Brittany .. ??

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Time for ADMIN to jump in with a gentile reminder. Let's keep in mind we are all friends here and no need to make or take things personally: No single person has done or said anything wrong, and everybody is entitled to freely expressing their opinion, but the temper from a few of you is changing toward becoming personal and if continued to let build, will head to dangerous territory for a forum discussion. So let's lighten up, and enjoy and respect each other's company even though we are disagreeing.

Thanks,

LCT

...All I know, is that when I've been shooting the G1 in low light with people, the picture I get is something quite other than the picture I saw in the viewfinder...
...The slowness of EVFs does something to my concentration and ability to shoot a changing scene precisely, even if the EVF updates fast enough, at least theoretically. It's more the fact that there is a lag, as short as it may be, and how that changes my attitude...
Thanks for warning guys. I was interested by this little beast as a small digital back for my M lenses and a possible successor to my good old Digilux 1 but if it has more shutter lag or whatever slowness than the latter it is a deal breaker for me i'm afraid.

jonoslack

Time for ADMIN to jump in with a gentile reminder. Let's keep in mind we are all friends here and no need to make or take things personally: No single person has done or said anything wrong, and everybody is entitled to freely expressing their opinion, but the temper from a few of you is changing toward becoming personal and if continued to let build, will head to dangerous territory for a forum discussion. So let's lighten up, and enjoy and respect each other's company even though we are disagreeing.

Thanks,
Okay Jack
For my part I regret causing any offence, but I certainly didn't intend any (I thought it was lighthearted enough).
As for the banter on this page, isn't it just that? I don't see any ruffled feathers.

Maybe some kinds of humour don't travel across the Atlantic so well.