The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G6

donbga

Okay Brooks Jensen likes the G6, sort of raves about it here:

Panasonic G6

So how does the G6 compare to the current crop of m4/3s like the GX7, E1, or EM5 and GH3 for that matter?

The current G6 price is very attractive.

Don Bryant

JBurnett

On the test-bench, the G6 sensor lags a bit behind the others you've mentioned in dynamic range and higher ISO performance (see DxOMark side-by-side comparisons -- G6 dynamic range: 11.5 evs, EM-1 dynamic range: 12.7 evs). It depends on the photographer as to whether this difference is significant or not, particularly as the price for the G6 is a fair bit lower than the others. For Brooks Jensen, coming from a G2, the G6 is still an appreciable improvement.

IBIS (in-body-image-stabilization): EM-1, EM-5, and GX7 (Panasonic's first crack at it).
Weather sealing: EM-1, EM-5, GH3
Video king: GH3

Size, weight, usability: depends on user.

clay stewart

I think the G6 is a great little body, with most of all the newest tech. I can't see much difference in image quality, between my new GM1 and my G6. I did notice, that they both seem to lag behind my GH3 a bit though. Maybe critical testing would show more differences, but from me shooting and processing the files, that's my impression. If I hadn't got the GH3 on sale a couple weeks ago, for less than what I paid for my first G6, than I would have bought another G6, because I like it so much.