Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: EM-1half shutter press :-(

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    EM-1half shutter press :-(

    So, maybe this has been addressed, and I missed it, but....

    I went to a photo fair at our local shop this weekend and had the chance to both talk with the Olympus rep as well as play fairly extensively with the EM-1 (and others, but that is a different post ).

    To set the stage, I shoot with an EM-5.

    While there was lots to like, I ran into quite the annoying feature in the shutter release. Every time I tried to half press it to achieve focus, I ended up taking a picture. After some initial confusion and asking the rep, I discovered the half press was basically, barely touch it at all and no press at all. It was almost as if I were using a touch screen. Any travel of the shutter release at all took the picture.

    I'm surprised I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere. And, of the multitude of cameras I have shot with, this is the first with a shutter release like this.

    To make it tolerable, I ended up putting focus only an the AFL button and off the shutter release button.

    Anyone else run afoul of this?

    Doug

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    Must be a matter of personal preference. I find the E-M1 shutter release delightfully short travel and responsive, very positive in feel. It reminds me a lot of the E-1 shutter release.

    Godfrey

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    I really like the new shutter release too. It takes a little time to get used to it, but I wouldn't prefer the E-M5 release over this. I didn't shoot the E-1, but it kind of reminds me of the Mamiya 7II. I accidentally took a photo the first time I picked it up.
    Charles - flickr

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Must be a matter of personal preference. I find the E-M1 shutter release delightfully short travel and responsive, very positive in feel. It reminds me a lot of the E-1 shutter release.

    Godfrey
    Hmmm,
    This wasn't short travel, this was no travel. It was like touching an iPhone. Possibly a bad sample?

    To be honest, my only concern is I really like the ibis kicking in when the shutter is halfway pressed. I really like that on my EM-5, and it would be really perturbing if it was constantly firing off pics for me. With the one I tried, there would be no way I could use a glove on my shooting hand.

    Doug

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    Hmmm,
    This wasn't short travel, this was no travel. It was like touching an iPhone. Possibly a bad sample?

    To be honest, my only concern is I really like the ibis kicking in when the shutter is halfway pressed. I really like that on my EM-5, and it would be really perturbing if it was constantly firing off pics for me. With the one I tried, there would be no way I could use a glove on my shooting hand.

    Doug
    Possibly just a beat up example at the store?
    I've seen even the sturdiest cameras reduced to trash by a horde of eager buyers at a demo counter ... !

    G

  6. #6
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    I can't say I even noticed a great difference - certainly not the dramatic lack of travel you describe.

    It would be a good idea to check another sample.

    Kind regards

    Brian

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I can't say I even noticed a great difference - certainly not the dramatic lack of travel you describe.

    It would be a good idea to check another sample.

    Kind regards

    Brian
    Well, that's interesting. The rep pretty much said that it was changed, so I didn't really question it further, but it now sounds like I need to dig some more.

    Thanks,

    Doug

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, California
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    It seems like a very normal half press. It is very smooth, but it feels like I'm pressing halfway. Then the slightest resistance and shutter is triggered. I agree with Godfrey, feels like E-1. I also have a Fuji X-E2, and it is smoother and more precise feeling than that shutter. I can't remember how the EM-5 felt.

    Chuck

  9. #9
    Senior Member JBurnett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    Well, that's interesting. The rep pretty much said that it was changed, so I didn't really question it further, but it now sounds like I need to dig some more.
    While I'm sure there are some excellent reps out there, I've also met some real duds who will tell you anything, or, on the other hand, can tell you nothing (because they don't know squat). You were right to explore further, and to pose the question here.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

  10. #10
    Workshop Member MikeScecina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    This may help. I've had my E-M1 for two days now and the shutter release and half press has been very smooth and precise. However, about an hour ago, while fiddling around with all the menus and options I did something, don't know what, and ended up with a stiff shutter release like you describe. No half press at all. With heavy heart I scrolled through the menu options and found 'Reset/Myset' that returns all settings to default and that resolved the problem. After the reset the shutter release returned to being a tactile pleasure.
    IMHO menus and buttons are the bane of digital cameras and I can understand how a demo item could end up in a similar condition. Don't give up on the E-M1, it's a delightful camera.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeScecina View Post
    This may help. I've had my E-M1 for two days now and the shutter release and half press has been very smooth and precise. However, about an hour ago, while fiddling around with all the menus and options I did something, don't know what, and ended up with a stiff shutter release like you describe. No half press at all. With heavy heart I scrolled through the menu options and found 'Reset/Myset' that returns all settings to default and that resolved the problem. After the reset the shutter release returned to being a tactile pleasure.
    IMHO menus and buttons are the bane of digital cameras and I can understand how a demo item could end up in a similar condition. Don't give up on the E-M1, it's a delightful camera.
    Interesting, a possible camera setting that affects the shutter behavior interpretation. That could also explain it.

    Doug

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EM-1half shutter press :-(

    I just got my HLD-7 vertical grip, and find the the position for half press to full shutter activation requires a longer travel than the original shutter button on the EM-1. On my E-M1, the half press is equally deep, but then from half press to full shutter activation, the travel is very little.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •