The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official launch Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH

Godfrey

I owned the 2/150 back when I shot the E1 (some 9 years ago?)!

I really loved this lens, but in the end it has its weight and finally I did not carry it around as much as I had planned. I would welcome a similar lens in m43 design, so also the wight would go down a bit - maybe make it just 2.4 or 2.5?
A 150/2.8 would be fine, just like the 75/1.8 is delightful. :)

But I keep teetering back and forth on wanting the 150/2. It's an unusual and unique piece of equipment.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
As an owner of both Nikon D800E and top Nikkor glass and Olympus EM1 with the usual Oly lenses I must say that the results I achieve from my Oly gear are meanwhile superior in many cases to their Nikon counterparts. You can blame that on me not being able to use Nikon in the optimal way as I use obviously Olympus, but I think this is not the truth!

Of course the D800E has 36MP and is capable of delivering stunning shots - at least under very controlled conditions (tripod, studio, etc.) but with the stellar IBIS and some good m43 lenses in many cases the 16MP results from the EM1 outperform the results from my D800E - and the truth is I really know how to shoot the Nikon!

What sense does 36MP make if I can not bring this resolution down to the road - either because of bad usage and not enough stable operation, or not the perfect lenses etc, etc. So meanwhile I believe that the decision of Canon was right not to go higher in resolution than 22MP so far as they obviously understand that more resolution would just go to the garbage bin with current lenses (even L glass which I know is stellar at least till around 20MP) or better stabilization mechanisms.

So what to think about these new monsters like the A7r? I guess all the voluntary testers have already proven that it is difficult to get consistent sharp results and that the A7 with 24MP is the much better solution for most cases.

One issue might be size - as I can remember when I shot my Hassi (H3D39) I got sharp shots all the time because of the much larger and heavier body and lens (mass) and intelligent stabilization techniques like adjustable shutter lag etc.

I only do hope that the camera industry will not just go for the next revolution in resolution (40+ MP) in 35mm FF but rather work on improving stabilization, lenses etc to make the results with current high resolutions really useable.

jonoslack

Well, it look's lovely, but at £1300 I think I'll give it a miss and slum it with the lenses I already have (not to suggest it isn't worth the money of course)

mazor

hmm would love this lens for my E-M1, but wondering whether it is worth it since the E-M1 has IBIS, and this new lens has OIS?

Godfrey

I wouldn't worry too much about the OIS. For an E-M1, it's mostly irrelevant.

The lens' speed, build quality, and rendering capabilities are the key points of interest. The price is, um, expensive ... but theoretically anyway, it's at the calibre of lens that is worth this price.

All that said, I'm pretty happy with my existing Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8. Not as fast, but right up there imaging wise. And smaller, lighter ...

I'll take it slow in deciding where and when to spend my $1500. :)

G

mazor

true Godfrey, but taking the price into consideration, one knows that part of the cost of the lens has to go into making the OIS, which is redundant when mounted on a Olympus E-M1 ;)

As for smaller and lighter, the E-M1 is poised to attach larger lens as it is probably one of the largest micro four thirds cameras to be released, especially so with my vertical grip attached.

Godfrey

true Godfrey, but taking the price into consideration, one knows that part of the cost of the lens has to go into making the OIS, which is redundant when mounted on a Olympus E-M1 ;)

As for smaller and lighter, the E-M1 is poised to attach larger lens as it is probably one of the largest micro four thirds cameras to be released, especially so with my vertical grip attached.
It's nice to be comfortable using it with smaller lenses and no grip, imo. When you use large, heavy lenses, and fit the grip, you have to carry the lump all day. With the E-M1, Summilux 25 and Macro Elmarit 45 in a small bag, the weight is mostly unnoticeable ... fit the grip and the ZD 11-22 or Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, all of a sudden you have a heavy, large camera in a larger bag.

That said, to me, I could care less whether it's the smallest or the biggest camera in the line. The E-M1 is the right size for my hands, which is all that matters. :)

Remember also that the E-M1 can be set to prioritize OIS over IBIS, so if there's a situation where the OIS proves superior in use, you can take advantage of it.

f6cvalkyrie

Seems a very interesting lens to me, but has anybody seen a (datasheet ?) comparison between the Nocticron and a Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 ?
Will it be as good from wide open ?
Or will it be in the league of the Nikkor 55/1.2 ?

BTW, the Noct-Nikkor is almost double the price, and without AF or IS

C U,
Rafael

mazor

true true, the E-M1 indeed is much smaller and lighter without the vertical grip attached, but after using the E-M1 with the vertical grip, it just feels so damn good. And you are right, without the grip the E-M1 grip is good, but with the vertical grip, it is fantastic. Now when I use my Nex 5n, I find the difference even greater when comparing ergonomics even more so with the E-M1 with vertical grip attached.