Arrow Official launch Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH

Start saving up, boys & girls ...

Panasonic formally launches Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH

Now, who's first to take the plunge ?
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Official launch Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH

Given that the Canon 50mm f1.2L sells for about the same price (in U.S. dollars, at least at B&H), it doesn't seem over-priced, to me anyways.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it'll be a winner. I really liked the other Leica designed and Panasonic produced lenses.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

B&H has it listed for $1699, although not yet available. I hope it's IQ is as good as my Pan/Leica 45mm f/2.8 and the 25mm f/1.4. Here's a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=
    Last edited by Paul_Kerfoot; 6th January 2014 at 17:13. Reason: Added a link to B&H

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see it becoming available now. Haven't decided whether I really need it yet, as I have the ME45 already. Waiting to see the Summilux 15 first... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Start saving up, boys & girls ...

Panasonic formally launches Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH

Now, who's first to take the plunge ?
    I don't think so : that lens is huge for MFT bigger and heavier than the 75mm. 425gr. : that defeat the purpose of MFT ! I would have been happier with a lighter 45mm F1.8 offering the same performance as the 25mm Panasonic or the Olympus 75mm.

I have got a bad copy of the Olympus 45mm F1.8 and was interested when the Panasonic was announced, but not at this weight and size.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand all the complaints about the weight and size, and price.

If you want a lighter weight 45mm-50mm lens, the Olympus M.Zuiko 45/1.8 or Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH are both available. The Nocticron-DG 45/1.2 ASPH is all metal construction, has OIS, and is quite a bit faster than either: of course it's going to be larger, weigh more, and be more expensive.

It's not like there are no choices. Look at even available 50mm f/1.2 lenses from other manufacturers... They're all in and around this size and weight class, plus or minus a few grams, depending upon construction materials.

The Olympus M.Zuiko 75/1.8 is similar in size and weight. It's handy and comfortable to use on the E-M1 body sans grip, a little large on the much more compact E-PL1 body. I see the Nocticron as being in the same class, a mite heavier and larger due to the OIS and all-metal construction.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I don't think so : that lens is huge for MFT bigger and heavier than the 75mm. 425gr. : that defeat the purpose of MFT ! I would have been happier with a lighter 45mm F1.8 offering the same performance as the 25mm Panasonic or the Olympus 75mm.

I have got a bad copy of the Olympus 45mm F1.8 and was interested when the Panasonic was announced, but not at this weight and size.
    Why not just sell your bad copy of the 45 1.8 and try a new one? Normally there are no issues with that lens!

As already mentioned by others - you cannot invert physics and if you have a 1.2 lens with that focal length and metal construction this is what you get! So complaining is not really helping here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I don't understand all the complaints about the weight and size, and price.

If you want a lighter weight 45mm-50mm lens, the Olympus M.Zuiko 45/1.8 or Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH are both available. The Nocticron-DG 45/1.2 ASPH is all metal construction, has OIS, and is quite a bit faster than either: of course it's going to be larger, weigh more, and be more expensive.

It's not like there are no choices. Look at even available 50mm f/1.2 lenses from other manufacturers... They're all in and around this size and weight class, plus or minus a few grams, depending upon construction materials.

The Olympus M.Zuiko 75/1.8 is similar in size and weight. It's handy and comfortable to use on the E-M1 body sans grip, a little large on the much more compact E-PL1 body. I see the Nocticron as being in the same class, a mite heavier and larger due to the OIS and all-metal construction.
    Well, you can read my post as a complaint/whining, but it wasn't meant to be so : the question was who would get one; I gave my answer and explained why. That's all. For me, MFT is about being small and light. Not to the point of getting only a GM1 or E-P2 with pancakes, but neither to the point of getting a fixed lens weighting 425gr. For me, this lens clearly crossed a red line. All the more so that I prefer deep DOF to bokey. To each his/her own.

PS : I had bad luck with the 45mm F1.8 Olympus, but it would be unfair to sell a lens that I think is subpar, as was suggested : would you want to buy it from me ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you can read my post as a complaint/whining, but it wasn't meant to be so : the question was who would get one; I gave my answer and explained why. That's all. For me, MFT is about being small and light. Not to the point of getting only a GM1 or E-P2 with pancakes, but neither to the point of getting a fixed lens weighting 425gr. For me, this lens clearly crossed a red line. All the more so that I prefer deep DOF to bokey. To each his/her own.

PS : I had bad luck with the 45mm F1.8 Olympus, but it would be unfair to sell a lens that I think is subpar, as was suggested : would you want to buy it from me ?
    Bokeh is not Depth of Field, or shallow DoF. Bokeh is the quality of the out of focus rendering ... Even deep DoF images have bokeh.

Saying "this lens is larger and heavier than I'm interested in" is different from saying "this lens is too large and heavy for mFT." There's a big difference. A big part of my decision whether to buy one of these, or even the Oly 45/1.8 since I already have the M-E 45/2.8 will be whether the ability to make even shallower DoF is any advantage as well as exactly how the lens renders (bokeh) at both large and small lens openings. I'm quite pleased with the M-E 45/2.8 already in this regard.

If you have a lens which is defective, write Olympus about it. Provide examples as to why you are not satisfied with it. Like as not, they will do their best to make you happy, up to and including replacing it for a different one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. This went left fast... I only took Annna T's comment she indended - for her needs. She simply stated that she doesn't find it useful in her current work flow based on the press release. People stop by forums and do that all the time all over this place simply to make it known that camera X or lens Y doesn't perform as expected for them and they like what they already have.

As for Micro 4/3 I have to agree that smaller lens size is a thing that they market upon and being that the sensor has half the total area as a 35mm FF camera it's reasonable for one to expect the lenses to be smaller and lighter somewhat.

The price is just going to be an adjustment when you market your cameras solely as consumer and prosumer devices then create the professional line afterwards. Sony is going through the same thing where people are complaining about the price of the 35 and 55 based on aperture sizes or the fact they don't zoom. Coming from Leica I thing the Sony Zeiss FE lenses are priced fairly. They're cheaper or close to the ZM equivalents and have AF as well. Consequently after being a Micro 4/3 user since the G1 I know that the lens quality was never really a weak point of micro 4/3 (from the Panasonic side at least.) I think this is a no compromise specialty lens and one probably more at home in a studio than say for... Street work. As mentioned there are 2 other (slower and smaller) options for that type of work.

No need to take one persons opinion personally though. People have a right to their reservations and to change their opinions after the fact. That's all I have to say about that. I'm happy to see Panasonic is still coming out with some great Leica designed glass. I'm sure this one will continue that precedent.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly my opinion as well. The only real advantage of MFT is the small sensor footprint which should translate into compact and lightweight camera bodies and lenses. Recently we see a trend of mft getting bigger and heavier (E-M1, GX7) and aps-c (e.g. see today`s announcement of the Nikon DSLR 3300 with an interesting sensor) and FF cameras smaller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Godfrey that bokeh is the quality of OOF and it's made up of many different factors. I have a British friend who always describes any lens that provides him with his sort of bokeh as an "arty' lens which pretty well describes the way a good lens can "draw" the subject.

The same friend has both Olympus 60mm macro and a 45mm Panny Leica DG Elmarit macro lens. He uses the Leica for his arty shots but the Oly 60mm for insects etc requiring maximum clinical sharpness. The right tool for the right job!

As for weight and size, it is first and foremost a classic portrait lens and as such could perhaps spend quite a bit of it's life in a studio or on a tripod when weight and size wouldn't matter too much. It is not really a travel lens in my opinion.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    The only real advantage of MFT is the small sensor footprint which should translate into compact and lightweight camera bodies and lenses.
    Isn't this new lens at least partly in that spirit,
    compared to the 85mm f/1.4 FF lenses?
    Of course, with the Oly's stabilized bodies,
    one can see hope for greater lightness from
    them --no OIS in lens.

Recently we see a trend of mft getting bigger and heavier (E-M1, GX7)
    Or do you mean the Pany GH3?
    The GX7's rather svelte.
    (And the GM1 nearly invisible!)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

...The only real advantage of MFT is the small sensor footprint which should translate into compact and lightweight camera bodies and lenses. ...
    I think you've hit upon my fundamental disagreement with the whole "too big, too heavy" notion. I didn't become interested in FourThirds or Micro-FourThirds because I was looking primarily for small and light. For me, the draw is the format proportions and size which delivers on the FoV–DoF relationship which I prefer, and the 'fully integrated design' which results in the best lens kit in the industry for digital capture, on average. I like my cameras to be in the size and weight range from the Leica CL to the Olympus E-1: this makes them comfortable in my hands with good balance for a wide range of lens types and sizes. Smaller than that is a casual snapshot camera; larger I only rarely want to carry.

An E-M1 plus 75/1.8 or Nocticron 45 is at the saddle point of just the right weight and balance to use all day without an accessory grip, IMO.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This new 42.5 is very small & light compared to its full-frame equivalent, the Canon 85/1.2L. So it's very consistent with the purpose of M43. It's big in the M43 world, but will be a nice smaller alternative for someone looking to replace the size & weight of a full-frame system while still retaining comparable focal lengths & apertures.

Compare:
    42.5/1.2 = 15 ounces
    85/1.2L = 36 ounces

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Kerfoot View Post
    B&H has it listed for $1699, although not yet available. I hope it's IQ is as good as my Pan/Leica 45mm f/2.8 and the 25mm f/1.4.
    Actually $1599.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The greatest advantages with the m4/3 system is that it goes from tiny (GM1 with "pancake" zoom) to medium size (GH3 or E-M1 with lenses like the 42.5mm) while maintaining a consistent build and optical/image quality throughout the system. I haven't tried the above mentioned Nikon D3300 yet, but the D3200 has a crap viewfinder, feels cheap compared to m4/3 cameras of the same size and has a p&s feature set.

I can't afford this new lens at the moment unless I sell my D700 (Which is an option. Saves me from cleaning dust off it ), but this is another lens that underlines the enormous versatility of the system. Four lenses with f/0.95, f/1.2, f/1.8 and f/2.8 available in m4/3 mount within roughly the same focal length and unlimited adaptable options.

Anybody want a low mileage D700?
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Batistich View Post
    This new 42.5 is very small & light compared to its full-frame equivalent, the Canon 85/1.2L. So it's very consistent with the purpose of M43. It's big in the M43 world, but will be a nice smaller alternative for someone looking to replace the size & weight of a full-frame system while still retaining comparable focal lengths & apertures.

Compare:
    42.5/1.2 = 15 ounces
    85/1.2L = 36 ounces

Actually $1599.
    Except for light gathering ability, a FF & 85/1.2 L combo punches in a different league in terms of DR, high iso performance and dof control. Leveling the playing field of dof control somewhat, but still having FF`s DR advantage and some high iso advantage and looking at a quite strong performing Nikkor 1.8/85 the new mft lens is on the heavy side and very pricey as well. As an example the 710 gramm low light monster Nikon Df & 350 gramm Nikkor 1.8/85 costs about the same as a 500 gramm E-M1 & the 425 gramm 1.2/42.5 mft lens. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Except for light gathering ability, a FF & 85/1.2 L combo punches in a different league in terms of DR, high iso performance and dof control. Leveling the playing field of dof control somewhat, but still having FF`s DR advantage and some high iso advantage and looking at a quite strong performing Nikkor 1.8/85 the new mft lens is on the heavy side and very pricey as well. As an example the 710 gramm low light monster Nikon Df & 350 gramm Nikkor 1.8/85 costs about the same as a 500 gramm E-M1 & the 425 gramm 1.2/42.5 mft lens. Just my 2 cents.
    You are correct, of course, but the E-M1 shares lens mount and sensor size with the 204g GM1 (only 7g more than Nikon's smallest interchangeable lens camera, the S1, a camera that requires a totally different $1,000 lens to offer a sensible portrait distance), the soon-to-be launched GH4K (that will offer video quality and options comparable to cameras 5 times as expensive) and several other cameras of different size, price and specification.

If I were rich, I could buy all the camera/lens combinations that I fancied, and I could hire a slave to carry them for me. But I'm not rich and I don't have a slave, so I seem to be settling for m4/3. For us poor people, this system really shines
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Of course you lose some things by going from FF to M43, but you also gain a much smaller & lighter system overall. Each system has its own merits, and each has some compromises.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

+1.
    FF and MFT systems complement each other and excell in different ways.
    That's why I use both.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you have a lens which is defective, write Olympus about it. Provide examples as to why you are not satisfied with it. Like as not, they will do their best to make you happy, up to and including replacing it for a different one.
    I sent it to Olympus support service, but it came back with the mention that the lens "was inside specifications" (however the whole service was very fast, about one week). Yet It is clearly decentered, having a very weak upper left corner and being best at the lower right corner.

It doesn't give good results unless I close it down to 5.6, while a friend's one shows already good corners at F2.8. I didn't want to pick a fight with Olympus and left it at that. But I shoot it less often and I'm careful to close it down at F5.6 when I use it. That's all.

I think that with these cheaper lenses the tolerances are wider. I prefer to use the Zeiss Contax G 45mm F2.8 when I have the time to MF. It is as sharp as the 75mm F1.8 on my E-M5.
    Last edited by Annna T; 8th January 2014 at 03:35.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent it to Olympus support service, but it came back with the mention that the lens "was inside specifications" (however the whole service was very fast, about one week). Yet It is clearly decentered, having a very weak upper left corner and being best at the lower right corner.

It doesn't give good results unless I close it down to 5.6, while a friend's one shows already good corners at F2.8. I didn't want to pick a fight with Olympus and left it at that. But I shoot it less often and I'm careful to close it down at F5.6 when I use it. That's all.

I think that with these cheaper lenses the tolerances are wider. I prefer to use the Zeiss Contax G 45mm F2.8 when I have the time to MF. It is as sharp as the 75mm F1.8 on my E-M5.
    IMO, you acquiesced too quickly. If I recelved a lens like that, I'd insist that the lens does not perform to expectations and I was not satisfied with it. Demand an exchange or money back. It's not a matter of "picking a fight," it's a matter of getting what you paid for.

There's no reason to accept poor performance from a less than stellar unit. Don't give up your money so willingly—that lens costs a fifth of buying the Panasonic-Leica, which is significant. Having to stop down to f/5.6 for decent results is clearly out of bounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An interesting comment on digilloyd's blog about this lens (http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/201401...2_5f1_2.html):

"I’m not a fan of optical stabilization, because it does not improve imaging performance and in this case, I’d want to use it on the Olympus E-M1, which has superb in-body image stabilization. So those extra lens elements just make the lens heavier and more expensive and more complex and more prone to alignment errors. Well, it is what it is."

I agree with him in a very limited, mostly theoretical sense apart from his comment on the E-M1, with which I agree completely. Image stabilization won't improve IQ if the circumstances don't need image stabilization and OIS theoretically degrades such images. However, IS of whatever form has so improved the percentage of my keepers that the practical advantages of OIS were to me, when I first used it, the greatest advance in photography since in camera metering. When I switched from Nikon to Canon in the mid 90's, 50% of the reason was the OIS that Canon was starting to introduce in some lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look at the samples on this page, particularly the second group:

Leica DG Nocticron 42,5 mm f1.2: análisis | Quesabesde

Anybody need a D700? I won't be able to afford a lens of this quality for 35mm anyway, so might as well sell the clunker... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Look at the samples on this page, particularly the second group:

Leica DG Nocticron 42,5 mm f1.2: análisis | Quesabesde

Anybody need a D700? I won't be able to afford a lens of this quality for 35mm anyway, so might as well sell the clunker... lol
    I suspect that if I gave in and bought your D700, I wouldn't be able to afford the Nocticron 45mm ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I suspect that if I gave in and bought your D700, I wouldn't be able to afford the Nocticron 45mm ...

Post Thanks / Like

These samples look pretty impressive!

Really tempted to get this lens, although I have now to decide to get either the Nocticron for my EM1, or the Fuji 1.2/56 for my XE2. Not sure which one would get more use ....

I generally find the EM1 with good lenses to be a stellar performer, although the XE2 is for sure superior once it comes to best IQ which I think is due to the XTrans sensor.

Decisions are really hard tough those days

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    They do, darn it. ;-)

Really tempted to get this lens, although I have now to decide to get either the Nocticron for my EM1, or the Fuji 1.2/56 for my XE2. Not sure which one would get more use ....

I generally find the EM1 with good lenses to be a stellar performer, although the XE2 is for sure superior once it comes to best IQ which I think is due to the XTrans sensor.

Decisions are really hard tough those days
    I'm making my decision processes much simpler (and distraction much less..).

I'm pretty much selling off everything other than the E-M1 and Micro-FourThirds system equipment for digital capture. It's at least good enough for my intended use, better than anything else in some contexts. (I'll keep a bunch of lovely old film gear for occasional use/entertainment... ;-)

Now I just have to do the sales, then I can afford the Nocticron 42.5 and upcoming Summilux 15/1.7 when they become available. Maybe buy a second E-M1 body too, along the way.

Concentrating on one set of equipment and the photography has always been the best strategy for actually getting photography done, for me at least.

G

Post Thanks / Like

How does the autofocus compare on those two cameras? If the autofocus on one is better, will that influence your decision on which of those lenses to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Batistich View Post
    How does the autofocus compare on those two cameras? If the autofocus on one is better, will that influence your decision on which of those lenses to buy?
    AF is definitely better on the EM1 - faster and better tracking, which is important as I try to use it also as a wildlife camera, where I do need tracking.

Other than that I prefer the IQ and rendering of the Fuji. Now that the XE2 AF is fast and accurate enough for most situations (not as fast as the EM1 AF) I am using the XE2 more for portraits, family, casual shooting. As I said I intend to use the EM1 for wildlife, final goal to replace my Nikon D800E - I am not quite there yet.

So I will buy only one of these fast primes, currently I lean more to the Fuji, because of the areas I use the Fuji. But I am sure also the Panaleica will be excellent on any of the latest m43 bodies!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Now I just have to do the sales, then I can afford the Nocticron 42.5 and upcoming Summilux 15/1.7 when they become available. Maybe buy a second E-M1 body too, along the way.

Concentrating on one set of equipment and the photography has always been the best strategy for actually getting photography done, for me at least.
    I actually fully agree - so I am trying to minimize my systems always but after a while I find myself ending up with another additional great system again

Now maybe I will be able to get rid of my Nikon gear which is D800E based as soon as higher resolution camera types become available from Fuji and/or Olympus. I am using D800E currently as MFDB replacement and so far it does the job nicely!

Having said this, it is astonishing how good m43 (Oly based) and Fuji X have become today. So also waiting for some high speed super telephoto lenses and then my decision to get rid of Nikon will be very easy.

Post Thanks / Like

The Olympus 150mm f2 (the 4/3 not m43 lens) is amazing on the EM1. Autofocus tracking is good, not at Nikon pro level I'm sure, but still very good.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by httivals View Post
    The Olympus 150mm f2 (the 4/3 not m43 lens) is amazing on the EM1. Autofocus tracking is good, not at Nikon pro level I'm sure, but still very good.
    I'm very, very tempted to buy one of these lenses. I'm just not sure if it's the old Magpie Syndrome kicking in or whether I really want/will use one ... but there's no question that it is an absolutely superb lens, one of the best in the business.

Sheesh. Nocticron 42.5/1.2 or ZD 150/2 ...? Decisions, decisions. ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very, very tempted to buy one of these lenses. I'm just not sure if it's the old Magpie Syndrome kicking in or whether I really want/will use one ... but there's no question that it is an absolutely superb lens, one of the best in the business.

Sheesh. Nocticron 42.5/1.2 or ZD 150/2 ...? Decisions, decisions. ;-)

G
    The 150mm f2 is a specialty lens. It's heavy and large. I use it almost exclusively on a monopod for my son's sports. I used it for some fall leaf images and it is beautiful of course, but I can't imagine going for a meandering walk with the lens.

The images are spectacular and sharp from corner to corner at all focusing distances from wide open.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's definitely a lens for purposeful use. :-)

I've got one on offer to me for $1500, but I suspect I'm going to pass and just enjoy the 50-200 for this long a focal length.

Besides, I need the money for the Nocticron...

Post Thanks / Like

I owned the 2/150 back when I shot the E1 (some 9 years ago?)!

I really loved this lens, but in the end it has its weight and finally I did not carry it around as much as I had planned. I would welcome a similar lens in m43 design, so also the wight would go down a bit - maybe make it just 2.4 or 2.5?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Godfrey;560907]They do, darn it. ;-) I'm making my decision processes much simpler (and distraction much less..).

I'm pretty much selling off everything other than the E-M1 and Micro-FourThirds system equipment for digital capture. It's at least good enough for my intended use, better than anything else in some contexts. (I'll keep a bunch of lovely old film gear for occasional use/entertainment... ;-)

G[/QUOTE

Godfrey, I too made that decision almost two years ago when the em-5 first became available. I haven't looked back since and of course now added the em-1 to my stable. The latest Oly mFT IQ more than satisfies both my printing and projection requirements and as I prefer using dslr type cameras it fits my needs perfectly.

I flitted with a Fuji X Pro-1 but the lack of long focus lenses and just the handling of it ensured that I reached for the em-5 every time, so it soon went to a better home!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

As an example the 710 gramm low light monster Nikon Df & 350 gramm Nikkor 1.8/85 costs about the same as a 500 gramm E-M1 & the 425 gramm 1.2/42.5 mft lens. Just my 2 cents.
    Indeed, we have a further growing land of luxuries
    --surviving unless economic stresses cull out some options.
    But, one counter-jab to your well-played hand above:
    the EM-1 offers class-act stabilization --to which I guess
    the Nikon answer is the class-act high-ISO to up shutter speed.

I remember looking at a shot of photo journalist Alison Wright
    running, on the *job*, with a pair of pair of D3 Nikons and the
    usual 24-70, 70-200? & whatever other ... ,
    and thinking Shouldn't m4/3 greatly lighten her load?
    The AF hadn't been adequate, I guess, nor the toughness.
    Now, though, I should think that some such non-burly PJs
    will re-think their gear list; having the tiny GM1 as both
    an inconspicuous and low-wgt/size back-up camera must
    count as a good option (as toughness doesn't help in the case
    of theft or ...)!

Jorgen wrote:
    If I were rich, I could buy all the camera/lens combinations that I fancied, and I could hire a slave to carry them for me.
    But that sounds like a quite encumbered photographic outing
    --at least, hardly "street"! And would you be able to get
    well acquainted with all the lovely gear that piqued interest?
    In this regard, it's quite the contrast to read about (e.g.)
    the late Willy Ronis (France) --to wit:
    [ ]
    Sep 12, 2009 :: Willy Ronis passed away today...

One of my favourite photographer...

During the 73 years of his career (he was 99 years old) he only used 3 cameras... . One of them (from the 70s to today, if I remember well) was a Pentax ME Super and a 24-50/f4 (or maybe a 24-35/f4, I can't quite remember)...

If you never heard of him, check his work out... there is a story in everyone of his pictures...
    "only 3 cameras" :: sounds like some of today's half-yearly quotas!
    (with careers less durable) (Though along with "cameras"
    should be mentioned "films".)

-d.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I owned the 2/150 back when I shot the E1 (some 9 years ago?)!

I really loved this lens, but in the end it has its weight and finally I did not carry it around as much as I had planned. I would welcome a similar lens in m43 design, so also the wight would go down a bit - maybe make it just 2.4 or 2.5?
    A 150/2.8 would be fine, just like the 75/1.8 is delightful. :-)

But I keep teetering back and forth on wanting the 150/2. It's an unusual and unique piece of equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

As an owner of both Nikon D800E and top Nikkor glass and Olympus EM1 with the usual Oly lenses I must say that the results I achieve from my Oly gear are meanwhile superior in many cases to their Nikon counterparts. You can blame that on me not being able to use Nikon in the optimal way as I use obviously Olympus, but I think this is not the truth!

Of course the D800E has 36MP and is capable of delivering stunning shots - at least under very controlled conditions (tripod, studio, etc.) but with the stellar IBIS and some good m43 lenses in many cases the 16MP results from the EM1 outperform the results from my D800E - and the truth is I really know how to shoot the Nikon!

What sense does 36MP make if I can not bring this resolution down to the road - either because of bad usage and not enough stable operation, or not the perfect lenses etc, etc. So meanwhile I believe that the decision of Canon was right not to go higher in resolution than 22MP so far as they obviously understand that more resolution would just go to the garbage bin with current lenses (even L glass which I know is stellar at least till around 20MP) or better stabilization mechanisms.

So what to think about these new monsters like the A7r? I guess all the voluntary testers have already proven that it is difficult to get consistent sharp results and that the A7 with 24MP is the much better solution for most cases.

One issue might be size - as I can remember when I shot my Hassi (H3D39) I got sharp shots all the time because of the much larger and heavier body and lens (mass) and intelligent stabilization techniques like adjustable shutter lag etc.

I only do hope that the camera industry will not just go for the next revolution in resolution (40+ MP) in 35mm FF but rather work on improving stabilization, lenses etc to make the results with current high resolutions really useable.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, it look's lovely, but at £1300 I think I'll give it a miss and slum it with the lenses I already have (not to suggest it isn't worth the money of course)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

hmm would love this lens for my E-M1, but wondering whether it is worth it since the E-M1 has IBIS, and this new lens has OIS?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry too much about the OIS. For an E-M1, it's mostly irrelevant.

The lens' speed, build quality, and rendering capabilities are the key points of interest. The price is, um, expensive ... but theoretically anyway, it's at the calibre of lens that is worth this price.

All that said, I'm pretty happy with my existing Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8. Not as fast, but right up there imaging wise. And smaller, lighter ...

I'll take it slow in deciding where and when to spend my $1500. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

After looking at samples in various websites, I ordered one from B&H... Now the wait begins.
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like

true Godfrey, but taking the price into consideration, one knows that part of the cost of the lens has to go into making the OIS, which is redundant when mounted on a Olympus E-M1

As for smaller and lighter, the E-M1 is poised to attach larger lens as it is probably one of the largest micro four thirds cameras to be released, especially so with my vertical grip attached.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    true Godfrey, but taking the price into consideration, one knows that part of the cost of the lens has to go into making the OIS, which is redundant when mounted on a Olympus E-M1

As for smaller and lighter, the E-M1 is poised to attach larger lens as it is probably one of the largest micro four thirds cameras to be released, especially so with my vertical grip attached.
    It's nice to be comfortable using it with smaller lenses and no grip, imo. When you use large, heavy lenses, and fit the grip, you have to carry the lump all day. With the E-M1, Summilux 25 and Macro Elmarit 45 in a small bag, the weight is mostly unnoticeable ... fit the grip and the ZD 11-22 or Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, all of a sudden you have a heavy, large camera in a larger bag.

That said, to me, I could care less whether it's the smallest or the biggest camera in the line. The E-M1 is the right size for my hands, which is all that matters. :-)

Remember also that the E-M1 can be set to prioritize OIS over IBIS, so if there's a situation where the OIS proves superior in use, you can take advantage of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems a very interesting lens to me, but has anybody seen a (datasheet ?) comparison between the Nocticron and a Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 ?
    Will it be as good from wide open ?
    Or will it be in the league of the Nikkor 55/1.2 ?

BTW, the Noct-Nikkor is almost double the price, and without AF or IS

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

true true, the E-M1 indeed is much smaller and lighter without the vertical grip attached, but after using the E-M1 with the vertical grip, it just feels so damn good. And you are right, without the grip the E-M1 grip is good, but with the vertical grip, it is fantastic. Now when I use my Nex 5n, I find the difference even greater when comparing ergonomics even more so with the E-M1 with vertical grip attached.