The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interesting lens Test Data

Brian Mosley

Brian,
I can certainly add the use of a tripod but since I am looking to see the way the lenses paint an image and each lens has a different maximum aperture I can't use the same unless I use like 5.6 for all but then I am using a portion of the fast lenses that will provide a sharper image than the same f stop on a slower lens.
This is why I had a problem with the resolution test you did at the top of this thread - you were loading the test heavily in favour of the 14-45 imho... I'd genuinely like to see the lpm figures of the 14-45 vs, say the nikon 50mm f1.8 at the same aperture.

Cheers

Brian

barjohn

Brian,
I guess I don't understand what you are getting at. My goal was to measure the lenses at the aperture I want to use them. No point in having fast lenses to use them stopped down. Therefore I was measuring performance at the widest aperture to try and determine the performance where I intended to sue it, not to compare in the sense of whether one lens is really better than another. My real question is whether it is good enough and under what circumstances. If I don't like the way a lens paints wide open and that is why I am using it (i.e. for speed), then why bother. It is easier to use the kit lens at f5.6, f8, etc. What was surprising to me was the visibly higher contrast of the kit lenses which some will like and some won't and the consistent level of performance. As I said, I actually tested over F-widest to f8 for each lesn. I just didn't post up all of the values. The other surprise to me was the fall off toward the edges of lenses designed for full frame when only the sweet spot of the center was being used due to the crop factor. I wasn't expecting that.