The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 request for feedback - an idea to improve MF control

peterv

Brian, I think this is a great idea! I would use it all the time. If this were an option in the menu, I can't see anyone objecting to this.

I also agree that the release button would be the best place for this, because of speed and practicallity.

Thanks, Peter

woodyspedden

Thanks Per, and congratulations... I wish I had a Summicron 50 :cry:

Using *any* other button to toggle the MF zoomed view will involve changing your holding position on the camera - this is an instantaneous way of switching AF zoom on/off for more fluid manual focus shooting.

At the moment, it takes several keypresses - this method reduces that to effectively zero - as the MF zoom becomes integral to the shutter release control.

Kind Regards

Brian
Hey Brian

I have four 50mm lenses for the M system,one of which is the cron. (A mint chrome silver version) I just bought a Konica Hexanon 1.2 version so I now need to cut back. So my Cron is for sale. PM if you have any interest

Woody

Brian Mosley

Hi Woody,

that's a shame - I've got a spare 57mm f1.2, we could have considered a part-ex... I've got too many lenses myself at the moment, but I'll bear it in mind.

Kind Regards

Brian

peterb

But, since we´re talking firmware and custom functions, why not have it all these ways? One custom function with three choices: 1) leave it as is, 2) use Brian´s toggle idea, or 3) move it to the AF/AE lock button.
That's the beauty of firmware. Once you write it, you can make anything anything you want.

I like the idea of what everyone is saying plus the added control via the menu as to how to put it into affect so the Brian's of the world could have things his way while the Terry's of the world could have things hers.

Still I don't see why the firmware couldn't turn light up the green rectangle in the center of the EVF as it is now when focus is achieved effectively turning it into a focus affirmation light once focus with a non-coupled lens is used.

Peter

monza

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.

I think my last method was misunderstood. My last method uses no buttons. Just put the camera in MF with the dial. A small square of approximately 30% of the viewing area is outlined and can be moved with the arrow keys. Magnification is initially zero. Using the front scroll wheel the area in the square can be magnified up to 16x. This has the advantage that you can always see the entire image frame. Further you can control the magnified area via the scroll wheel and it can be moved around to select the desired focus point. No other buttons are needed, just a firmware modification. Shutter speed can still be changed using the dial by clicking on it. Clicking on it again takes you back to magnification control. Simple and effective. :)

I think my last method was misunderstood. My last method uses no buttons. Just put the camera in MF with the dial. A small square of approximately 30% of the viewing area is outlined and can be moved with the arrow keys. Magnification is initially zero. Using the front scroll wheel the area in the square can be magnified up to 16x. This has the advantage that you can always see the entire image frame. Further you can control the magnified area via the scroll wheel and it can be moved around to select the desired focus point. No other buttons are needed, just a firmware modification. Shutter speed can still be changed using the dial by clicking on it. Clicking on it again takes you back to magnification control. Simple and effective. :)
The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.
Indeed, now I get it. Sounds very good indeed. As I´ve written elsewhere, I have reservations about the ergonomy of that wheel, but this one may be worth the effort to control one´s fingers....:rolleyes:

fordfanjpn

I like this idea the best. And of course whatever changes are made, they should be made optional so we can choose what works best for each person.

Bill

barjohn

A simple menu item could be added that either turns on or off the feature on the focus dial when MF is selected.

Brian Mosley

John, all... John's suggestion seems like a good alternative - one I had initially considered and discarder due to the separate control... if this is the favoured option I'm happy to put it forward to Panasonic.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

The suggestion above has been put forward... fingers crossed we'll see the result asap. I will report if I get any feedback before the next firmware issue (but it's more likely we'll just see it arrive, as if by magic ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

peterv

I understand John's idea. But Brian's original idea sounds much more strait forward to me.
Point, half press, focus, half press, shoot. Very simple, just a quick zoom in for focus.

I Like it very much.

Brian, you think we could have both?

Brian Mosley

Bloody hell, I thought I was outnumbered!:salute:

( that's not a salute, it's me slapping my forehead :ROTFL: )

I'll put both suggestions forward and let Panasonic decide...

Cheers

Brian

Terry

I guess I still don't understand the method that was put forward. If you simply move the scroll wheel in MF mode how do you change the Aperture, Shutter or EV. Generally one of those is highlighted in and is the active setting when moving the scroll wheel.

jonoslack

I like the half press of the shutter to switch it on and off, but clearly there needs to be a menu option to switch the facility on and off.

But, to be honest, any option where it was a single click would be a help.

Brian Mosley

Hi Terry,

with a manual legacy lens, you set the aperture on the lens - so you'd be in Aperture Priority mode ideally... pressing the scroll wheel only affects the EV - likewise, if you're in Manual mode, you only have control of the shutter speed.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

I like the half press of the shutter to switch it on and off, but clearly there needs to be a menu option to switch the facility on and off.

But, to be honest, any option where it was a single click would be a help.
Thanks Jono, I've got everything crossed that we can get this upgrade - it would make live shooting much more responsive imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

OK Brian call me dense but I still don't completely get it....
With a legacy lens that has an aperture ring yes, we agree that you need to set the aperture.
What happens with an Oly 4/3 lens w/o aperture ring that doesn't MF on the G1. How does one then change a setting if you are using the scroll wheel for focus?
Are you suggesting that instead of two choices between aperture and EV you would add a third which is MF?

I am all in favor of having something easier than 2 button pushes. The two we have now work great for tripod but not faster shooting. I still think the one button that you can set yourself Fn is the answer. It was offered up early on as a solution and is extremely easy to implement without making other functions too complex or changing some things that right now are working well. How often do you use that function button now?

barjohn

Terry,

Since I haven't tried an Oly 4/3 lens w/o aperture ring can you please describe how one uses such a lens? Doesn't it have a focus ring and doesn't the camera auto detect when the focus ring is moved like a regular M4/3 lens? If the lens can't AF but the other controls work such as electronically changing the aperture, one might have to give up the zoom magnification function since the dial is limited to two functions.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Brian,
I appreciate you putting this forward to Panasonic. I took about 300 photos yesterday with two manual focus lenses. I can't tell you how many times I did the two button press scenario. The two button press is very fiddly when you are at an event and not on a tripod. I like your idea of the shutter press, because I use the front wheel so much to change exposure compensation and aperture (with non legacy lenses), but I would think Panasonic could implement a choice like they do for the function button and we could try both your idea, Johns idea and Terry's FN button idea.
When I use a legacy lens, I move the yellow focus point box around a lot (but not on every shot). With your method, would we still be able to do that with the left arrow button?
Cindy