The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 request for feedback - an idea to improve MF control

Terry

Brian,
What have you communicated to Panasonic and have you mentioned the threads here and at DPReview?

simonclivehughes

I agree the AF/AE lock button is the easiest to find, but three presses to cycle through the two functions is clumsy.
Point taken. Perhaps an option for the AF lock button to use it only as the MF mag enable toggle? Personally, I rarely use AE lock, especially for quick shooting.

Ciao,

Brian Mosley

Terry, I've e-mailed John's initial suggestion and my suggestion - plus links to this thread and my thread on dpreview.

Personally, I think this thread has had a hugely valuable discussion - I'm confident that Panasonic will take this seriously.

Kind Regards

Brian

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
...snip...

In either case, it would solve a poorly implemented half-feature currently on the G1. I bought it sight unseen, influenced by a lot of enthusiasm about how easy MF was. It's far from it. I didn't realize that they must have only tried it mounted on tripod.
I went to the Barrett-Jackson car show yesterday and shot 300 frames with the G1. I used two manual focus M-mount lenses only. I did not use a tripod and I don't see very many that are not spot-on on focus. (The lighting was a PITA so exposure was another matter..some could have used a faster shutter speed.)
I used the two-press for most of the shots. It can be clumsy, but it does work.
Here is how I would like to see it work: Left arrow key would still bring up the yellow square and arrow keys would still move it around...just like it is now, but it wouldn't be necessary to invoke the magnification if you didn't want to move the yellow square. (I noticed yesterday that I didn't need to move the focus square on every shot.) Many times it was close enough that my point of focus was still magnified (even if it wasn't exactly over my intended point.) Then one half press would magnify, another half press would magnify more. Full press takes the shot.

peterb

Terry, I've e-mailed John's initial suggestion and my suggestion - plus links to this thread and my thread on dpreview.

Personally, I think this thread has had a hugely valuable discussion - I'm confident that Panasonic will take this seriously.

Kind Regards

Brian
Judging by the evolution of their products, Panasonic seems to be a pretty thoughtful company who takes suggestions from their users seriously.

I hope they consider the thoughts in this thread. They are EXCELLENT.

Peter

Brian Mosley

Quick update - I had a call with Panasonic UK this morning - our discussion and requests are being considered and Panasonic recognise the importance of the most enthusiastic early adopters... who are having a huge amount of fun with our legacy lenses while eagerly awaiting native m4/3rds lens release.

If and when I get a response to the specific 'fast MF assist mode' of shooting - I will report back here.

Thanks everyone, for your imaginative and thoughtful suggestions.

Kind Regards

Brian

Quick update - I had a call with Panasonic UK this morning - our discussion and requests are being considered and Panasonic recognise the importance of the most enthusiastic early adopters... who are having a huge amount of fun with our legacy lenses while eagerly awaiting native m4/3rds lens release.

If and when I get a response to the specific 'fast MF assist mode' of shooting - I will report back here.

Thanks everyone, for your imaginative and thoughtful suggestions.

Kind Regards

Brian
Good news, Brian! Let´s hope for the best...

And tell them that we "enthusiastic early adopters" all have HEAPS of money, and are very eager to spend them.....:ROTFL:

I might even consider changing my avatar....:rolleyes:

Martin S

Brian:

Did u also mention to Panasonic of the need to make the control button for the P shift,or exposure compensation into a 2 step process so that any accidental press in of the button would not change the function unless a second button was also pressed?? This would seem to be a good time to add these corrective functions in another firmware upgrade.

Did your discussions include the idea of just making a central zone of enlargement when in manual focus instead of enlarging
the entire frame??

Just my opinion.

Martin

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Martin, my discussion was merely to present the discussion in this thread, and the thread on dpreview... and to underline the importance that Panasonic listen to those people who are most enthusiastic about the G1.

I imagine that the central zone of enlargement will certainly be considered - as it's been recommended throughout this thread.

Kind Regards

Brian