The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

practical diffs of 50/1.4 (even 1.8) vs 1.2 DOF?

P

psurfer

For those w/all the fast glass on your G1:
In "typical situations", (lets say indoors in average sized rooms, shooting subjects in size from half-length to CU portraits, down to small pets, between 2-7ft away), is the max aperture of a 40 or 50/1.2 going to give you much of a difference in DOF limit, vs the more common f/1.4, or even the garden-variety f/1.8 lens?

P

psurfer

-Let me re-phrase the question:

The G1 is my 1st 4/3rds camera, and I don't have an adptr to try anything on it yet, so would like to hear from those discovering all the diffs in their fast primes on this format.

On 35mm, the DOF diff between f/1.8 and 1.4 is not really a big one, and it's not any more noticeable of a step in the half stop between 1.4 and f/1.2 (-comparing how much more out of focus the oof areas appear, relative to the focused subject).

With m4/3 starting w/essentially a stop or so more DOF at a given lens/opening than FF, it occurred to me that the diff betw the Fast & Faster wide-open stops might become somewhat Heightened, or do they appear even less significant in the confines of interior room spaces? I just don't know.

Speed considerations aside, are people finding the fastest 50mm's (or 40's) worth lugging around for the DOF control, instead of their lighter smaller next-fastest alternative?
(I'm willing to bet that most who own a 50/1.2 also have the same in 1.4 or 1.8 version).

K

kiloran

I'm lugging the 50/1.2 around for its "imperfections" usually. I like its lo-fi signature. I also like to be familiar and practiced with it for when I do need to shoot in low light at parties, gigs, etc. So for me its not *just* about the DOF control.

Y.B.Hudson III

fast Lens (Personality) sign@ture ...things to consider...resolution ; micro/macro contrast...; bokeh; flare/glow characteristics; curvature of field, light fall off;...color rendition... aLL things to consider when dancing wiff t' one who brought you to the party...

peterv

Changing the aperture by 0,5 stops, gives you a difference in DOF of appr. 0,25.
This general rule applies for all formats.
Hope this ansewers your question.

A

azul123

Changing the aperture by 0,5 stops, gives you a difference in DOF of appr. 0,25.
This general rule applies for all formats.
Hope this ansewers your question.
Adding to this, in that sense it could make all the difference for low light situation or none at all if available light is plentiful.

woodyspedden

I just received and started to use a Konica Hexanon 50 1.2. I am currently using it on my M8 as my G1 hasn't arrived yet. (Thankfully John Milich's adapter has so as soon as the body comes I am set)

First impressions are that it is the sharpest of the f1.2 lenses I own or have used. Particularly the micro contrast is pretty impressive. Now what I must do is some controlled testing that shows how it really performs compared to the Nikon 1.2 and a borrowed Canon 50 1.2. (My only other 1.2 is the CV 35 so it is not a proper comparison but still somewhat useful to gauge the results)

Hopefully I will soon be able to post some images so all can see

Best

Woody

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I always tend to lug around my fastest lenses. I hate flash and if I can see I like to shoot. So my one of my triumphrate is in the bag. I really wanting to see what a Nocti will do with the micro 4/3. The Canon 50/0.95 seems to do very well.

The triumphrate.
View attachment 10836

monza

Heh, the only thing in that photo that can compare to my gear is the S&W lens hood box. :)

Nice glass!

P

psurfer

I Kneel before the face of that awesome triumvirate!

And I'll be very interested to hear your comparison findings.
-Now, how do you find the diff in DOF shallowness, compared to your f/1.4 assemblage?

Brian Mosley

I would love to see samples with each of those lenses wide open on the G1... my Hexanon 57mm f1.2 is very good - but I'd like to see what several thousand pounds of difference makes!

Kind Regards

Brian

Jonas

(...)my Hexanon 57mm f1.2 is very good - but I'd like to see what several thousand pounds of difference makes!
It's not about the money Brian. It's about speed and signature. I would like to have an EF50/1.0. There is nothing about objectively good here. Hmm... I also would like a Canon 50/0.95 for my G1. The Hexanon is not enough!! ;)

Brian Mosley

LOL of course it's about the money! unless you know where to get these lenses for free?

Seriously, I would like to see the samples... and know what kind of money will be necessary to aquire these beauties...

Kind Regards

Brian

Jonas

Of course money are involved, just as with every lens. I misunderstood your post Brian, I got the idea you were thinking of some bang for the bucks -factor. But wth, several of them cost less than a ZD14-35/2. Cheers, /Jonas

V

Vivek

fast Lens (Personality) sign@ture ...things to consider...resolution ; micro/macro contrast...; bokeh; flare/glow characteristics; curvature of field, light fall off;...color rendition... aLL things to consider when dancing wiff t' one who brought you to the party...
I second that.:clap: