Site Sponsors

Thread: Adventures in anamorphic stills

Post Thanks / Like

Adventures in anamorphic stills

I've been wanting to experiment with anamorphic stills for a while. I lucked out and found an ISCO Ultra Star (blue) for $40. Here are some samples. The 45/1.8 is sharper because it's AF. The FD 35/2 shows some barreling and a bit of vignetting, but both of those can be removed in post. It's also out of focus because I was taking the shot in a dark room hand-held at f/2.8... The 35 is about as wide as this can go on m4/3.

Olympus 45/1.8
    2048 x 683

Canon FD 35/2 SSC
    2048 x 683
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adventures in anamorphic stills

Backyard in the rain

Backyard
    2048 x 683
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What action or tool do you use to decompress the image in the horizontal direction?

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Just re-sizing the original image in Photoshop or any other editor. You can choose to either flatten it by dividing the height in 2, or to widen it by multiplying the width by 2 (that's what I do). If you use another anamorphic lens that has a different anamorphic factor you'll want to do the math using that instead of 2 (my lens is a 2x anamorphic).

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    What action or tool do you use to decompress the image in the horizontal direction?

scott
    -Dragos