Site Sponsors

Thread: Waning moon with the G1

olyinaz

Waning moon with the G1

What a joy the G1 is to use on a telescope! No mirror slap, swiveling live view screen, fast refresh rate on the screen (tremendously helpful when focusing). Fantastic!

Cheers,
    Oly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Waning moon with the G1

Yes, I guessed as much - and a super sharp sensor / AA filter combination too.

This is superb - is it from a single exposure? any chance of a shot of the G1 attached to your telescope?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

What type of adapter did u use to attach the G1 to the scope??

Martin

olyinaz

Thanks Brian. Yep, that's a single exposure. 1/80th at approx f/13 and 100iso. My mount has a very basic "clock drive" so the moon wasn't swinging through the field of view which helps quite a bit.

Martin - I used a basic T mount adapter since the telescope is equipped with T mount threads (similar to M42 screw threads but a different pitch to the threads) so what I had was: T to 4/3rds mated to the Zuiko EC-14 and then the Panasonic 4/3rds to µ4/3rds adapter mated to the G1. The only telescope specific part is the T adapter and you can get those on Amazon or at Telescopes.com etc.

Cheers,
    Oly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why f13? and which telescope model? that's a fabulous shot!

Kind Regards

Brian

Lupo

Quote Originally Posted by olyinaz View Post
    http://www.pbase.com/image/108138623/original.jpg

What a joy the G1 is to use on a telescope! No mirror slap, swiveling live view screen, fast refresh rate on the screen (tremendously helpful when focusing). Fantastic!

Cheers,
    Oly
    Hello.
    it looks great!

you say something about focal length and Telskop-Name?

best greetings

PS: it's original or crop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oly, that is possibly the single best capture of the moon I have ever seen -- my compliments! (You should send to Sky and Telescope, or whatever the big astronomy magazine is nowadays.)

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn camera has some muscle in it. Nice detail
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Flipping eck, thats the best moon shot i have seen on all the forums i visit, the crater detail is excellent, thank you for sharing your photo.

Mark.

olyinaz

Thanks guys! I've managed several shots in the past with more detail (the upper air was not very still last night at all, the moon looked like it was at the bottom of a swimming pool on the Live View screen) using everything from the E-500 to the Digilux 3 to the E-3, but here's the rub - they all had more noise and less dynamic range than what I'm seeing in these G1 raw files. The E-3 had been, by far, the best up until now from what I was seeing but this little G1 just impresses and amazes me more and more.

For the fellow who asked, this is the telescope I used on a similar but slightly different mount:

It's called a Celestron C100 ED refractor, but the important part is the aperture (100mm) and that it's an ED doublet (has a fluorite element) as opposed to one made with simple glass. The following shot will give you some idea of the setup and how the camera attaches to the simple lens (just a simple ED doublet all the way up at the front of the scope - no other glass). With these scopes the focal length is actually the focal length of the scope! And the f-stop (or in telescope terms the focal ratio) is simply the focal length divided by the size of the hole up front (the size of the lens) - there's no iris or aperture variation device built in (answer to the "why f/13" quesiton - the 900mm scope + the EC-14 = 1260mm focal length divided by 100mm aperture).

Here's a similar telescope with the E-3 on it. This one is an 80mm ED scope from Orion, a great scope and great value at about $500:

I can't wait to try some deep sky, longer exposure stuff. I'm hoping for the best!

Cheers,
    Oly

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Oly. I remember an incredible full moon shot of yours from about two years ago. I used to have it bookmarked but can't find it anymore. Could you link to that or post it again? Was that one on a larger telescope than this? I'm also interested in whether your series of moons can tell us about how the relative AA filter strengths of your E-1, E-3, and subsequent bodies compare.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree with other posters -- a very impressive shot of the moon. Well done
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Now you've done it. I'll have to dig out my old Celestron and get an adapter.

Bhakti-rider

Very impressive! Thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if you look at the far right of the photo i'm pretty sure that's some guy waving back...

very impressive shot!

olyinaz

LOL Thanks again guys.

And yes Monza! By all means DO dig that bugger out and pop the G1 on it. I don't think anyone has yet made a camera that is so well suited for telescope/spotting scope photography.

Cheers,
    Oly

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Olyinaz; splendid shot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmmm some lens you can attach to this thing. Great shot!

Peter
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread has me motivated to try and mount the G1 to my Leica spotting scope
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    This thread has me motivated to try and mount the G1 to my Leica spotting scope
    Jack, have you found a suitable adapter? I own one of these scopes, but the only adapter listed is for the (ancient) Digilux 1.

Would love to be able to mount the G1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Per:

IIRC, the old Digilux adapter just held the camera lens over the scope's eyepiece. I have found this series of pieces that appears to mount the camera directly to the optics of the scope, as in a more normal astral imaging set up. If Im understanding everything correctly, with my Televid 77 this should give me an approximate 900mm f11 lens set-up. Here is what I've ordered:

1) The Leica Televid to T-Mount adapter: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1529wt_909

2) And an Asian T-mount to 4/3rds adapter (I sprung for the one with the AF confirmation chip, but have doubt it will make any difference in this set-up): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3582wt_909

3) And then couple that to the G1 via the Panasonic 4/3rds to G1 adapter which I already own.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,

if it's not too late, I'd cancel the focus confirm adapter... it wouldn't work with your G1 anyway, and one less think to drop off!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's too late and was only a few $$ more than the one without whcih is why I went for it to begin with...

I am more concerned about which T thread the Leica adapter has -- looks to be female at the T end in the photo, and so are all the adapters, so how will they couple? I guess I have to wait and see
    Jack

olyinaz

Jack,

That should work but I'm a bit perplexed by what looks to be female threads on both ends as well. No doubt it'll become clear when you actually get it and at the very worst another threaded adapter (Amazon is a good source for this stuff as well) might be required. Once you get it all assembled it'll be easy as pie and I think you'll love taking photographs through that Leica spotter!

Looking forward to seeing some.

Cheers,
    Oly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Per:

IIRC, the old Digilux adapter just held the camera lens over the scope's eyepiece.
    Yes, that was the only option, since the camera lens was fixed. Owning a Digilux 2, I hoped for an adapter for that camera, but no luck...

I have found this series of pieces that appears to mount the camera directly to the optics of the scope, as in a more normal astral imaging set up... Here is what I've ordered:

1) The Leica Televid to T-Mount adapter: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1529wt_909
    So, there IS an original Leica adapter (to T-mount after all... Didn´t know that; should solve the problem.

BTW, I had a bit of a laugh when I followed the eBay link, and read this:

"Many items we sell are restricted by the United States Department Of Defense and can not be exported from the United States. SWFA, Inc. only ships to a U.S.A. address and payment has to be from a U.S.A. credit card or U.S.A. Pay Pal account. SWFA, Inc. only does business within the United States of America and will not directly or indirectly export or assist in exporting any product(s) purchased through SWFA, Inc."

So, a German camera adapter, once imported to the US, can´t be re-exported because DoD fears the enemy might benefit....

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    So, a German camera adapter, once imported to the US, can´t be re-exported because DoD fears the enemy might benefit....
    It's probably because of these Yosemite Red binoculars that they are also selling. I'm sure the North Korean army would dispose of all their nuclear missiles to get one of those

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Per:

IIRC, the old Digilux adapter just held the camera lens over the scope's eyepiece. I have found this series of pieces that appears to mount the camera directly to the optics of the scope, as in a more normal astral imaging set up. If Im understanding everything correctly, with my Televid 77 this should give me an approximate 900mm f11 lens set-up. Here is what I've ordered:

2) And an Asian T-mount to 4/3rds adapter (I sprung for the one with the AF confirmation chip, but have doubt it will make any difference in this set-up): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3582wt_909

3) And then couple that to the G1 via the Panasonic 4/3rds to G1 adapter which I already own.
    If you turn that adapter -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1529wt_909 on its side, you can see it has male threads to screw into the T adapter...

So it should work fine...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GDI View Post
    If you turn that adapter -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1529wt_909 on its side, you can see it has male threads to screw into the T adapter...

So it should work fine...
    SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!

(Thanks!)
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack are you planning to use this for birds/wildlife?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jack are you planning to use this for birds/wildlife?
    Probably not. More likely I would use it for the moon. And possibly next time I assist Bob on one of his beach location shoots. The fact is, I am mostly putting it together simply because I can
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And possibly next time I assist Bob on one of his beach location shoots.
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably not. More likely I would use it for the moon. And possibly next time I assist Bob on one of his beach location shoots. The fact is, I am mostly putting it together simply because I can
    I wasn't quite sure I understood this part until I found Bob's post . What's the matter you don't like reflector duty?