The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Waning moon with the G1

O

olyinaz

What a joy the G1 is to use on a telescope! No mirror slap, swiveling live view screen, fast refresh rate on the screen (tremendously helpful when focusing). Fantastic!

Cheers,
Oly

Brian Mosley

Yes, I guessed as much - and a super sharp sensor / AA filter combination too.

This is superb - is it from a single exposure? any chance of a shot of the G1 attached to your telescope?

Cheers

Brian

O

olyinaz

Thanks Brian. Yep, that's a single exposure. 1/80th at approx f/13 and 100iso. My mount has a very basic "clock drive" so the moon wasn't swinging through the field of view which helps quite a bit.

Martin - I used a basic T mount adapter since the telescope is equipped with T mount threads (similar to M42 screw threads but a different pitch to the threads) so what I had was: T to 4/3rds mated to the Zuiko EC-14 and then the Panasonic 4/3rds to µ4/3rds adapter mated to the G1. The only telescope specific part is the T adapter and you can get those on Amazon or at Telescopes.com etc.

Cheers,
Oly

L

Lupo

http://www.pbase.com/image/108138623/original.jpg

What a joy the G1 is to use on a telescope! No mirror slap, swiveling live view screen, fast refresh rate on the screen (tremendously helpful when focusing). Fantastic!

Cheers,
Oly
Hello.
it looks great! :thumbs:

you say something about focal length and Telskop-Name?

best greetings

PS: it's original or crop?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oly, that is possibly the single best capture of the moon I have ever seen -- my compliments! (You should send to Sky and Telescope, or whatever the big astronomy magazine is nowadays.)

:clap::clap::clap:

mark1000

Flipping eck, thats the best moon shot i have seen on all the forums i visit, the crater detail is excellent, thank you for sharing your photo.

Mark.

O

olyinaz

Thanks guys! I've managed several shots in the past with more detail (the upper air was not very still last night at all, the moon looked like it was at the bottom of a swimming pool on the Live View screen) using everything from the E-500 to the Digilux 3 to the E-3, but here's the rub - they all had more noise and less dynamic range than what I'm seeing in these G1 raw files. The E-3 had been, by far, the best up until now from what I was seeing but this little G1 just impresses and amazes me more and more.

For the fellow who asked, this is the telescope I used on a similar but slightly different mount:

It's called a Celestron C100 ED refractor, but the important part is the aperture (100mm) and that it's an ED doublet (has a fluorite element) as opposed to one made with simple glass. The following shot will give you some idea of the setup and how the camera attaches to the simple lens (just a simple ED doublet all the way up at the front of the scope - no other glass). With these scopes the focal length is actually the focal length of the scope! And the f-stop (or in telescope terms the focal ratio) is simply the focal length divided by the size of the hole up front (the size of the lens) - there's no iris or aperture variation device built in (answer to the "why f/13" quesiton - the 900mm scope + the EC-14 = 1260mm focal length divided by 100mm aperture).

Here's a similar telescope with the E-3 on it. This one is an 80mm ED scope from Orion, a great scope and great value at about $500:

I can't wait to try some deep sky, longer exposure stuff. I'm hoping for the best!

Cheers,
Oly

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz

scott kirkpatrick

Hi, Oly. I remember an incredible full moon shot of yours from about two years ago. I used to have it bookmarked but can't find it anymore. Could you link to that or post it again? Was that one on a larger telescope than this? I'm also interested in whether your series of moons can tell us about how the relative AA filter strengths of your E-1, E-3, and subsequent bodies compare.

scott

O

olyinaz

LOL :p Thanks again guys.

And yes Monza! By all means DO dig that bugger out and pop the G1 on it. I don't think anyone has yet made a camera that is so well suited for telescope/spotting scope photography.

Cheers,
Oly

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This thread has me motivated to try and mount the G1 to my Leica spotting scope :D