The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the G1 available body only?

barjohn

Here is an interesting purported camera design from Panasonic that is probably not real but fun to look at for ideas.

Last edited:
O

olyinaz

I have to add my voice to those saying "yes" to the kit lens. It's proven itself to be very good indeed to my eye.

Brian: The other item surrounding the HD version is the14-140mm lens! I'm waiting for that baby big time - let's hope it's as good as the Leica 14-150...

Cheers,
Oly

O

olyinaz

Those sure seem like highly polished images if they're fakes! Most "fan fakes" that I'm familiar with have been much less detail obsessed.

Very VERY interesting indeed!

Best,
Oly

I'm a bit confused :confused:. Everyone is waiting for the Oly solution.

They showed a mock-up at Photokina but I can't imagine how this competes with the G1 if you want to shoot Leica or other MF lenses. Unless they plan on introducing a completely different model or they make an EVF that fits in the hot shoe, I don't know how you would use the camera. Hold it out in front of you with one hand and try to both focus and change the aperture with the other -- all while looking at the LCD? :banghead:

So while it looks like it could be a great camera for small primes, they would need to be AF lenses.
Indeed; I don´t expect much from that Olympus either if it´s anything like the mockup.:(

Before buying the G1, I took some hard looks at the Olympus 520, so size wasn´t a problem for me (as long as it was significantly smaller and lighter than my Nikon D200). What won me over to the G1 was exactly the combination of a big, bright, swivelling LCD plus a big, bright "eye level" finder (whatever it is called). By then, I wasn´t fully aware of the possiblities of using legacy lenses, so that didn´t influence my decision, but now I´m happy it´s there.

I couldn´t be less interested in video either; certainly the G1 could be improved, but if video is top-of-the-list for Pans marketing, I´m happy I got my G1 before "improvements". All that really needs to be done to it can be fixed via firmware, and Panasonic actually seem to listen to us (thx to Brian!).

m3photo

What intrigues me is the "W" and "T" markings just behind the shutter which seem to clash mechanically with the Manual/Auto Focus idea on the collar. It seems they've not quite made up their mind as to whether design the end product towards the mass point and shoot market or go with the basic use this type of forum member would advocate.

barjohn

As I understand it these are fake designs and their lack of knowledge of what Sumilux means is one of the giveaways. Originals may have come from China or Japan, there seems to be some confusion; however, I posted them up because it does show a different design idea. I still would prefer my EVF built in to a hot shoe arrangement.

m3photo

Re: Unfinished Product

... and their lack of knowledge of what Summilux means is one of the giveaways.
I still would prefer my EVF built in to a hot shoe arrangement.
Hmm, methinks the publicity boys know well enough that a "lux" suffix packs more punch than the largely unknown "Elmarit" word or one ending in "cron".

If they go for the little box on the left that pops up I'd much prefer it to be an "onboard" EVF thus keeping the large LCD and the smooth lines à la M8 and do away with what I suppose it is - a flash, the hotshoe is quite the adequate place for it if need be; besides, that way they'd have another accessory to sell for it.

W

wblynch

So is that 12-42 an electronic zoom lens?

Kind of like a DLUX-5 / LX4 with big sensor and interchangeable lenses.

Hmmm..... very interesting

Robert Campbell

There were 'similar' pix going the rounds a few months ago; it turned out they were the dreams of a Japanese designer -- there was similar confusion with lens names. Dreams, not fakes.

Amin

Right, these are from the same fellow, and they are his dreams, not fakes.

Back to the original topic, I'd like to see a body only or body + 20/1.7 kit. I've no interest in paying a few bucks extra for the 14-45.

peterb

John,

Even if tney're fantasy drawings...what cool design taste. And if it is true, and an exercise sanctioned by Panasonic, it bodes well for the next generation mft.The seem to have a very well-honed, modern 'European' design sense.

Peter

Brian Mosley

Couldn't they put the hot shoe where the pop up flash resides? or better yet, include the EVF within the camera at that top left position?

Kind Regards

Brian

barjohn

Actually, the electronics and optics package for the EVF take a fair amount of space, hence the hump on the G1. Here are some images.

Last edited: