Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

  1. #1
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

    A Dutch site has published a comparative review of the three 25mm lenses available for MFT bodies : here an English link through google translate

    There is a test with full size photos for download. I'd say : advantage to the Olympus which has sharper corners at F1.8, is lighter and cheaper .. But I already own the Panasonic.. What I dislike most in the Panasonic is the cumbersome hood, which can't be reversed for storing, but I like its rendering..

  2. #2
    Senior Member kweide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

    I made the failure to mount the 25 mm M.Zuiko to my EM-1. WOW it is a hell easier to handle, the hood is great, the lens even with mounted hood small. The lens executing fast, nearly without any sounds and the best: it produces razor-sharp images edge to edge without CAs. Well i put the money on the desk... the rest is normal operation The Pana lens is open to sell
    __________________________________________________
    Part of the Wonderland
    see more ( NSFW ) on : http://www.klaweide.de

  3. #3
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

    Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    I made the failure to mount the 25 mm M.Zuiko to my EM-1. WOW it is a hell easier to handle, the hood is great, the lens even with mounted hood small. The lens executing fast, nearly without any sounds and the best: it produces razor-sharp images edge to edge without CAs. Well i put the money on the desk... the rest is normal operation The Pana lens is open to sell
    Interesting : since you seem more involved in people photography than anything else (at least going from what you show here), I thought you would rather keep the Panasonic.

    The Panasonic takes as much place in the bag as the 75mm which irks me. If the Olympus was already out when I bought the Panasonic, I would have got the Olympus instead. But I'm not so good at reselling stuff, so I'll keep the Panasonic.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

    I like the rendering of the Panasonic, but the Zuiko is sharp and clearly the most practical lens.

  5. #5
    Senior Member kweide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Interesting : since you seem more involved in people photography than anything else (at least going from what you show here), I thought you would rather keep the Panasonic.

    The Panasonic takes as much place in the bag as the 75mm which irks me. If the Olympus was already out when I bought the Panasonic, I would have got the Olympus instead. But I'm not so good at reselling stuff, so I'll keep the Panasonic.
    Yes Annna, people photography is my interest, not the only. But i found that the Pana lens was quite often a bit soft when it comes to sharpness in the eyes. My first tries with the Oly lens on this stuff gave me a smile back into the face. SHARP !! SPOT ON ! And it has a better contrast which enhances the sharpness impression as well.
    __________________________________________________
    Part of the Wonderland
    see more ( NSFW ) on : http://www.klaweide.de

  6. #6
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

    Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Yes Annna, people photography is my interest, not the only. But i found that the Pana lens was quite often a bit soft when it comes to sharpness in the eyes. My first tries with the Oly lens on this stuff gave me a smile back into the face. SHARP !! SPOT ON ! And it has a better contrast which enhances the sharpness impression as well.
    Very interesting : I often get unsharp pictures with family shots when using the Panasonic, but I attributed it to user error. Mmm..
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member kweide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Very interesting : I often get unsharp pictures with family shots when using the Panasonic, but I attributed it to user error. Mmm..
    Dont´t try it with f1.4 DoF is too small for such. Family portraits, groups, needs a smaller aperture to get all in acceptable sharpness, or simply do two to five fast shots of the group ( what i normally do ) with different focus points. A fast focus stack gives perfect sharpness

    But Yes i often had soft results with that Pana when it comes to single portraits focused on the eye. AF field was small and i could see it thru the finder. With the new 25 f1.8 it was all spot on !
    __________________________________________________
    Part of the Wonderland
    see more ( NSFW ) on : http://www.klaweide.de

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •