Site Sponsors

Thread: Orion Nebula

olyinaz

Orion Nebula

Captured with the G1 on a Celestron 11" telescope using a Hyperstar lens (which turns the telescope into a 560mm f/2 optic mathematically but it's stopped down a bit by the central obstruction, namely the camera, up front). 25sec exposure at 100iso.

Cheers,
    Oly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Orion Nebula

Wow, incredible to think this was taken from the surface of the earth! don't you suffer from light polution? and with longer exposures, how do you remove the effects of movement of the earth?

Really fascinating stuff, but I feel that I'd have to move way into the country to escape the light polution here.

Thanks for sharing

Brian

Lupo

Quote Originally Posted by olyinaz View Post
    Captured with the G1 on a Celestron 11" telescope using a Hyperstar lens (which turns the telescope into a 560mm f/2 optic mathematically but it's stopped down a bit by the central obstruction, namely the camera, up front). 25sec exposure at 100iso.

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/1...8/original.jpg

Cheers,
    Oly
    Crazy
    really super quality

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olyinaz View Post

Cheers,
    Oly
    That is very impressive for a single 25 second exposure, low noise. And good tracking - which mount is it?

Now you just need to remove the G1's IR filter to capture the H-alpha,!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Superb!
    Sláinte

Robert.

olyinaz

Thanks guys!

Brian: I use a telescope mount that rotates with the Earth thus removing that item from issue. Even so I struggle with more than 30 sec. exposures because my mount isn't accurate enough to prevent the stars starting to elongate into ovals (which looks terrible - this is called mount error and correcting for it requires more gear that I've yet to buy). And Brian, don't despair due to your location - I've seen absolutely stunning Hyperstar images right out of Manhattan NYC that were taken with the use of filters that block the wavelengths of light noise pollution. Remember, it doesn't matter what you can see, it only matters what the chip can see through the filters with 30 sec. or more of exposure!

GDI: You said it bro! I think that the G1 is an absolute natural for modifying for astro imaging. I really hope that someone offers that service on this camera because if they do I'll likely have it done and then replace this G1 with a G1HD or perhaps whatever Olympus comes out with.

Thanks again all. I'll post more as I'm able (I caught Bodes and the Cigar last night as well) but I've got to run and the processing is just horribly time consuming on these dang things.

Best,
    Oly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oly,

I am in awe... Seriously, these are among the very best astral captures I have ever seen.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

olyinaz

Thanks very much Jack.

Best,
    Oly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots. Andromeda too. I have a 9.25 inch scope I need to try this on. Encouraging to see what is possible. Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Wow with a 25 second exposure, and the stars have not shifted, is the telescope on some sort of calibrated motor?

Mazor

olyinaz

Mazor: Yes, I have the telescope on an equatorial mount such that it rotates with the earth which keeps the stars from shifting. This is actually pretty easy to accomplish with what's known as a "clock drive" for the mount.

Best,
    Oly