The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya to Nikon to micro 4/3rds

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay you know where i am going here . There is a Mamiya 645 to Nikon adapter on e-bay and actually I may even have one. Now can i take it down to the G1. I want to buy this setup and try it on Jacks G1 in Moab. Just think my awesome 150 2.8 Mamiya lens makes a 300 2.8 on a G1. Now that may get my goat going on one of these. Also the dreamy lens the 80 1.9 cheap as can be a 160 1.9. Think it can be done. So I need a Nikon to G1 adapter any help here

Terry

Those lenses are pretty darn big for a g1 to be balanced. I will show it to you with just a 25 lux that is reuglar 4/3's.

jonoslack

Okay you know where i am going here . There is a Mamiya 645 to Nikon adapter on e-bay and actually I may even have one. Now can i take it down to the G1. I want to buy this setup and try it on Jacks G1 in Moab. Just think my awesome 150 2.8 Mamiya lens makes a 300 2.8 on a G1. Now that may get my goat going on one of these. Also the dreamy lens the 80 1.9 cheap as can be a 160 1.9. Think it can be done. So I need a Nikon to G1 adapter any help here
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
Deary me.
Actually, I don't think it will be a 300mm f2.8, because the 2X is with respect to 35mm focal length, so it'll be even longer.:lecture:
Whether it will be any good I rather doubt - remember it will just be using a tiny part of the image circle, and the 'real' resolution of larger lenses in lines per mm is normally less than that of smaller lenses.:lecture:

So - I'm not that interested in seeing pictures WITH it . . . but I'd LOVE to see a picture OF it :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, if you have the Mamy to Nikon adapter, I already have the Nikon to 4/3rds AND the 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds adapters needed to get it on the G1. I would LOVE to see if I can get my 80/1.9 Mamiya mounted on the G1, and Terry, that lens is not very big! Of course the Mamy AF lenses are also electronic aperture, so will only work wide open. The manual lenses like the 80/1.9 however should work perfectly!

Guy Mancuso

I am going to look Jack. I think I do but have to search the junk basket. LOL

Forgot about the aperture ring but the old cheap Mamiya C lenses do have them like the 80 1.9.

Hmmm this could be fun

jonoslack

I believe that whatever the focal length of the lens is, the effective length in 35mm terms will be 2x when used on the G1.
Hmm - I don't think you're right here - (but I'm open to persuasion). If used on 35mm this lens will be equivalent to around 400mm (is that right?) if so, then on 4:3 it'll be equivalent to around 800mm

monza

The lens focal length is the same no matter what body it is on. For example, an 80mm lens is always an 80mm lens whether it's on a Hasselblad, a Nikon 35mm film camera, or a G1.

If an 80mm lens is put on a G1, the 'crop factor' will give you an effective 160mm, when compared in 35mm film terms.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, Sorry to barge back with total contradiction of your previous post. :cry:

1. Focal length in mm is the same regardless of the format used. The crop factor applies equally to all lenses concerned

2. LF, MF, small format- regardless of the coverage, if the lens used is a good one it will do good. I use a Fax-Nikkor 160/5.6 (it is a wide angle lens and will cover 5x7 with movements at infinity) on 5x7, 35mm and APS-C. It is good (in fact excellent for my particular application as there are no other equivalent lens that I know of). The S-Planar 120/5.6 from Hassy, I have used it on APS-C. It is better than any other excellent Nikon mount Nikon ens that I have.

If size isn't a problem, why not?:)

Even if (size is a problem), if Guy has the lenses and can avail of adapters, why not? :)

Guy Mancuso

My thoughts exactly , I have the glass it is worth a shot at it. Worse case it does not work good, than again it may be awesome. Those old mamiya lenses have a nice look to them and there dirt cheap to boot

Guy Mancuso

Damn I have the Mamiya to Nikon adapter too, brand spanking new. Jack bring the 80mm 1.9 to Moab bud or ship it with the other stuff.

Hmmm Maybe Terry or Cindy have the Nikon to G1 adapter they will be here Sunday morning for a lighting glass and Terry has her G1 with her

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I will, IF I can fit it into my bag -- the pre-shipment box is already to drop off at FedEx :D

Guy Mancuso

I think I just bought a 80mm 1.9 for 200 dollars. Worth a try and i wanted one anyway.

Man I really needed to hit a buy button. Been wanting to hit a buy button for too long. I feel so much better now. LOL

Yes folks i am a gear slut