The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 new Electronic Shutter firmware 1.3?

DaveS

Here is a link to new firmware:

Olympus - E-M1 - System Cameras ; Micro 4/3 Cameras

It has a 0 sec delay option for an effective electronic shutter up to 1/320 second.

However I just installed it, and set it in the menu, but it still 'clicks' the shutter when shooting, so it doesn't actually seem to work even though it is selected in the menu. Has anyone else tried this out? If so, does it work for you.

I set it to 1/4 sec, and you can clearly hear the first and second click before and after. hmmmm.

thanks
Dave

BTW shutter blur on the E-M1 also on my E-M5 before have been very frustrating for me, so I was happy when I saw this update, but so far I haven't figured out to actually use it.

DaveS

I know with some Panasonic cameras if you have electronic shutter set then flash is disabled, and you have to remember to turn it off before using flash.

So I was wondering if it is in some conflict with another setting, but Olympus doesn't seem to give any info on how this Firmware works for this function. So my assumption is we are missing something, or it isn't working correctly.

Any suggestions welcome.

Dave

Godfrey

Here is a link to new firmware:

Olympus - E-M1 - System Cameras ; Micro 4/3 Cameras

It has a 0 sec delay option for an effective electronic shutter up to 1/320 second.

However I just installed it, and set it in the menu, but it still 'clicks' the shutter when shooting, so it doesn't actually seem to work even though it is selected in the menu. Has anyone else tried this out? If so, does it work for you.

I set it to 1/4 sec, and you can clearly hear the first and second click before and after. hmmmm.

thanks
Dave

BTW shutter blur on the E-M1 also on my E-M5 before have been very frustrating for me, so I was happy when I saw this update, but so far I haven't figured out to actually use it.
The firmware release notes say:

03/31/2014
Firmware Version 1.3
1) Dynamic range has been expanded when using the external mic. The sound level adjustment has been changed to adjust to 21 levels in accordance with this.
A function to turn the Volume Limiter on and off was added.

*When it is on, it automatically limits the mic input volume if sound input volume exceeds the designated level.

2) A 0 second setting has been added to Anti-Shock mode.
Anti-Shock is not an electronic shutter. It's an adjustable delay intended to allow time for shutter/mirror vibrations to damp. It's been there in all Olympus FT and mFT cameras that I've had since the E-1.

No Olympus camera I'm familiar with has an all-electronic shutter option at the present time.

Or have I missed something?

G

DaveS

Hi Godfrey,

The menu system on the camera now says:

"When shutter speed is 1/320 or less, the first shutter curtain is switched from mechanical to electronic to reduce blur caused by shutter impact."

Also there is a screen grab of this now posted on DP Review, so yes, I think it really is an electronic thingy. Really cool, but doesn't work yet for me.

I also just reset my camera to 'Basic' with all the beeps and annoying features, and it still doesn't go quiet.

So I think there is more to this yet to figure out.

Dave

DaveS

I have been shooting some shots, and even though the shutter sound is still fully there (IE electronic does not seem to = quiet first curtain) I do seem to be getting a better hit rate of clear shots, but not fully. IE shooting both with and without the feature turned on I get about 50% clear shots where as before it was more like 1 in 5 were clear at certain speeds and with different lenses.

Using the 50-200 2.8-3.5 at 200mm (between 1/200 and 1/4000 and also 60mm Macro at 1/80 sec) These used to be awful, now they are somewhat working, or maybe I just had less coffee today.

Others experience/comments with new feature are welcome.

all the best,
Dave

Godfrey

I have been shooting some shots, and even though the shutter sound is still fully there (IE electronic does not seem to = quiet first curtain) I do seem to be getting a better hit rate of clear shots, but not fully. IE shooting both with and without the feature turned on I get about 50% clear shots where as before it was more like 1 in 5 were clear at certain speeds and with different lenses.

Using the 50-200 2.8-3.5 at 200mm (between 1/200 and 1/4000 and also 60mm Macro at 1/80 sec) These used to be awful, now they are somewhat working, or maybe I just had less coffee today.

Others experience/comments with new feature are welcome.
I'd like to see some examples of the problem that you're seeing. I don't disbelieve you, I just haven't seen the issue. I have the 50-200 and often use it with the EC-14 teleconverter ... I've yet to see any consistent evidence in my photos that there is some shutter induced blurring with it.

thx,

G

DaveS

Will do, I usually just delete the bad ones, so I will take some more and try and reproduce it. Usually shows up as slight double image 'up and down' ie not sideways shake, just pure top and bottom blur of a subject. The upper blur is usually slightly less exposed than the lower one. Just out and about right now.

Dave

DaveS

Godfrey - Good news for me - after some checks just now (about 15 minutes) I can not convincingly seem to reproduce the problem, with 0 sec shock on or off. So I am happy with whatever firmware 1.3 seems to have done. The blurry ones I got today could be bad focus lock.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I scanned the web to see what others are saying, and found this link that shows the type of issue I was having before with apparent shock blur.

Re: E-M1 Firmware update... V 1.3 today..: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

(So I am actually happier with the camera at this point, but I still don't understand why 'electronic' first shutter makes a clicking sound, unlike Panasonic which is silent.)

Anyway will continue using it and see how it goes. I tended to drift away from using the EM5 and EM1 when it was for more critical work. I will try again. (I got way more keepers with the 5DIII and IS lenses, but it is much larger and heavier to carry around)

Dave

kweide

You can check it if Anti Shock 0 is set correctly. Switch on SCP and check the drive mode. It should say "Diamond + rectangle ( for single picture drive mode )"

BTW it is not 0 second delay but 0,03 instead. Thats exactly the time the shutter impulse lasts...

Godfrey

That's good to hear. I can't find anything in any of my image files that shows this problem ... I've searched repeatedly since I first heard of it! ... so I hope I see some other benefit from this new firmware update. I installed it.

Having done that, my aggravation with Olympus and their idiotic firmware updating scheme is as usual. Where's the detailed information on what was updated? Where are the instructions for using it? Do I have to look through every friggin' command in the camera's menus with Info turned on to find out what I just installed? Why on earth can't I get a spec sheet and instructions for what is new and how to use it BEFORE I install their stuff, and then download it so I can install it at my leisure without having to sit by the camera and computer hoping that my internet connection doesn't glitch in the middle of the process?

I absolutely despise this part of Olympus ownership. The camera I find terrific, the support in this regard is just plain crap.

(BTW, Sony is no better. ... )

G

Godfrey - Good news for me - after some checks just now (about 15 minutes) I can not convincingly seem to reproduce the problem, with 0 sec shock on or off. So I am happy with whatever firmware 1.3 seems to have done. The blurry ones I got today could be bad focus lock.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I scanned the web to see what others are saying, and found this link that shows the type of issue I was having before with apparent shock blur.

Re: E-M1 Firmware update... V 1.3 today..: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

(So I am actually happier with the camera at this point, but I still don't understand why 'electronic' first shutter makes a clicking sound, unlike Panasonic which is silent.)

Anyway will continue using it and see how it goes. I tended to drift away from using the EM5 and EM1 when it was for more critical work. I will try again. (I got way more keepers with the 5DIII and IS lenses, but it is much larger and heavier to carry around)

Dave

Godfrey

Hmm. Just went through the threads. They all seem to be saying the same thing over and over again, although the discussion of which modes was interesting. Even most of the supposedly "sharp" images looked blurry to my eye, and my photos don't seem to be that blurry.

I'll do some testing of my own. :)
I'll use the Macro-Elmar 45mm.

Question is whether to use a tripod or not.

gods, more equipment testing ... !

G

k-hawinkler

Hmm. Just went through the threads. They all seem to be saying the same thing over and over again, although the discussion of which modes was interesting. Even most of the supposedly "sharp" images looked blurry to my eye, and my photos don't seem to be that blurry.

I'll do some testing of my own. :)
I'll use the Macro-Elmar 45mm.

Question is whether to use a tripod or not.

gods, more equipment testing ... !

G

Well, I did some testing with the 75-300 II lens at 300 mm, handheld with IBIS.
To me the images looked pretty sharp, even at ⅛ seconds exposure time, lens wide open.

Last edited:

mazor

USing the SCP menu you can select whether you want the reduced shutter shock option or standard option. With the 0 second option, the low and high burst rates are greyed out, so I assume there is no electronic shutter available when firing in burst mode.

Also I have compared selecting standard (no diamond) shooting vs shutter shock enabled in SCP, and found there is an audible difference between the two modes, but what is interesting is that the normal non diamond mode has a shorter sound for shutter release than with the diamond mode on.