The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's the IBIS Jono you Wassack

jonoslack

Re: It's the IBIS Jono you Wasack

...and for dessert, Sir, chef would like to recommend a nice big 4/3rds portion of humble pie...

(P.s. and it's wassock, you pillock):)
The Humble Pie will be made of meringue. Actually I thought this message was humble pie in itself!

I realised it was Wassack after I posted it, but didn't think anyone would be unkind enough to mention it :p

white.elephant

So, Jono, I'm assuming that this means the image stabilization is such a compelling feature of the OMD that you're keeping it. Let me ask you: between the E-M1 and the XT1, which viewfinder do you personally find 'better' (in whatever way you personally would measure that? I ask because I'm a rangefinder guy at heart, which is why I was drawn to the X Pro-1 (can't afford a Leica) and look to hear your thoughts on the two EVFs.

Godfrey

So, Jono, I'm assuming that this means the image stabilization is such a compelling feature of the OMD that you're keeping it. Let me ask you: between the E-M1 and the XT1, which viewfinder do you personally find 'better' (in whatever way you personally would measure that? I ask because I'm a rangefinder guy at heart, which is why I was drawn to the X Pro-1 (can't afford a Leica) and look to hear your thoughts on the two EVFs.
My biased opinion, having worked a little with an XT1, and a lot with both the A7 and E-M1, is that the E-M1 is tops, the A7 next, and the XT1 next. The E-M1's auto brightness adaptation and excellent optics puts it on top.

G

scott kirkpatrick

Re: It's the IBIS Jono

After researching Waszak (a Dutch laundry bag??), I'm still not sure what mental qualities it celebrates...

But, Jono, I hope you didn't sacrifice your APO Elmarit-R 180 to fund your fling with the A7r and A7. After musing about IBIS over coffee, I took mine out this morning on the E-M1, with the following quick results:

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My biased opinion, having worked a little with an XT1, and a lot with both the A7 and E-M1, is that the E-M1 is tops, the A7 next, and the XT1 next. The E-M1's auto brightness adaptation and excellent optics puts it on top.

G
Also reflects my opinion pretty accurate!

Godfrey

HI Godfrey - timing out again?
dammit - I wish I knew the answer to this, it's really irritating.
The access proceeds up to a point, then stops ... after a few moments, I get an error stating "cannot read data". It's pretty weird, haven't seen this behavior before.

Beyond the IBIS ... I used the E-M1 to capture a batch of Polaroids last evening. Forgot to set a fixed ISO, so most of them were captured at ISO 3200-6400 (dim lightbox setup). Image quality is amazingly good!

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Godfrey, I get the same behavior looking at Jono's site from Verizon based internet services, but from AT&T it works fine.

--Matt

Knorp

Website access and respons is fine here, but then again I'm just on the other side of the puddle !

Kind regards.

Godfrey

Godfrey, I get the same behavior looking at Jono's site from Verizon based internet services, but from AT&T it works fine.

--Matt
My home system is on ATT, as are phone and ipad. Now here at my office, it pops up instantly.
Go figure.

G

Godfrey

I thought it was only fair to revisit my GAS article - you'll see that there is another conclusion!

GAS & Mirrorless - revisited with humble pie
Ok ...

As I've said before, the E-M1 is the basis of my "standard kit". The A7 is for full frame joy with Leica R and my favorite Nikkor lenses, and a small selection of my favorite M lenses.

At this point, much as I like the camera, I don't really need the M9 and the other 2/3 of the lenses I bought for it. So it goes ... Soon as I get back from my trip, things go to Ebay. I'll keep my hand into Leica M with either the M4-2 or CL and two/three lenses ... that will also work with the A7.

That'll do it for me.

G

jonoslack

It could well be I'm mixing things up: but isn't this called a "Crazy Ivan" manoeuvre ... :rolleyes:

:loco: :ROTFL: :dh2: :chug: :clap:

All the very best.
It could certainly be that Bart (although unintentionally of course) - I guess though that you have me as Uncle Sam rather than Crazy Ivor? :):LOL::ROTFL:
Although I fear that I'm not really going to be able to sink Ivan even if I'm in the 60 degree baffle zone.

Godfrey

It could certainly be that Bart (although unintentionally of course) - I guess though that you have me as Uncle Sam rather than Crazy Ivor? :):LOL::ROTFL:
Although I fear that I'm not really going to be able to sink Ivan even if I'm in the 60 degree baffle zone.
Hmm. And I was just watching a documentary on "The End of Red October" last night ...

G