Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    HI There
    I published this around a week ago, came to a conclusion and promptly changed my mind about it!

    So, in the spirit of eating both Humble Pie and My Hat I thought it was only fair to revisit it with a second conclusion.

    I didn't post the original article on the 4/3 cameras page for obvious reasons, but I'm sure that some of you will have read it, and it seems only fair to publish the revised version here . . . . So that you can all take the mickey!

    GAS and Mirrorless - Revisited

    Enjoy!

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Jono,

    Well reasoned decision based on your personal needs and expectations. I am encouraged to think that one can check his or her desires and change directions after a time of reflection.....

    I am certain that over time you will see many move away from the new new thing as another new new thing appears....

    Multi-axis IBIS, decent color...which is wonderful with your PP skills, and a slew of native lenses of good to great quality...small size and weather resistance make it a great choice.

    Adaptation is the key to survival for any individual. Stark self-assessment in the face of a huge wave of others enthusiasm is difficult...moving against the current whether self-imposed or part of the stream of life doubly so.

    No need for humble pie....or hat.

    Just keep the pictures coming!

    Regards,

    Bob

  3. #3
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Jono,

    well I think your second decision is the far better one than the first one - at least it reflects very much like I feel.

    I am enjoying the EM1 and just waiting for that wonderful 2.8/40-150 which I imagine will become my go to lens for 90% of my shooting. And as we all know the 12-40 is just a very adequate supplement to this lens. Might get intrigued to buy the PanaLeica 1.2/42.5 for a fast portrait lens, but not sure yet.

    Just again checked over the weekend the IQ from the Fuji XE2 and the Olympus EM1 and I cannot see much differences if any - not even if it comes to higher ISO - always shoot RAW and use Aperture for processing.

    So maybe my XE2 will have to go and make room for some of the above mentioned m43 lenses.

    WRT Sony - while I find the basic idea of the FE system just great, I still do not see any consistency in the whole Sony strategy spanning from A-mount to FE-mount. Not in their cameras nor lenses. So for the occasion I need/want FF I can use the D800E which I still like very much. And as you state right in your posts - if you really look for fast continuous AF the nothing tops a decent DSLR like the D800E.

    Also I am a bit puzzled by the latest addition from Sony to their FE line of cameras - the A7s - 12MP ??? Not that one really needs more for a lot of situations, but come on Sony - where is your credibility?

    So leaving Sony alone for the moment and the next year(s) to come is maybe just the best IMHO.

    Peter

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Bob - thank you - I'm feeling strangely flattered!
    But you hit the nail on the head - it's nice being part of the vanguard, tougher to decide against it.

    Peter
    I thought that the Fuji IQ was sometimes nicer than the E-M1, often equivalent, and very occasionally much worse (but rather unpredictably) - this could have been Aperture or Fuji, but that's not much help to me! Whereas the E-M1 files were either slightly nicer, equivalent or very slightly less good - but never much worse.

    But honestly, it isn't about - IQ, let's face it, they're all fine - it was about the possibility of using 3rd party lenses with IBIS, the native zoom lenses (the 12-40 is a cracker) the EVF and the single shot AF speed.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    I use a Sony A7 and an E-M1. I almost sold the E-M1 to get a backup A7 but I can't let that camera go, it's just so good. The A7 is perfect what I want to use it for, use interesting alternative glass like the Samyang 14mm F2.8, CV 35mm F1.2, CV 21mm F1.8, and CV 50mm F1.1. The E-M1 is just an all around commando of a camera with a huge complement of very good lenses.

    Personally, I was very disappointed with the T1. The material quality was poor and the build quality of things like hinges and doors seemed laughable for a $1300 camera.

    The Oly 12-40mm F2.8 is a small miracle of engineering. It's fantastic in the short end and sharer than any prime available in the shorter end. I'm really looking forward to the Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by FlypenFly View Post
    I use a Sony A7 and an E-M1. I almost sold the E-M1 to get a backup A7 but I can't let that camera go, it's just so good. The A7 is perfect what I want to use it for, use interesting alternative glass like the Samyang 14mm F2.8, CV 35mm F1.2, CV 21mm F1.8, and CV 50mm F1.1. The E-M1 is just an all around commando of a camera with a huge complement of very good lenses.

    Personally, I was very disappointed with the T1. The material quality was poor and the build quality of things like hinges and doors seemed laughable for a $1300 camera.

    The Oly 12-40mm F2.8 is a small miracle of engineering. It's fantastic in the short end and sharer than any prime available in the shorter end. I'm really looking forward to the Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro.
    Hi there
    I'd forgotten about the 7-14 in my anticipation of the 40-150 f2.8.
    I'm glad you're enjoying the A7- excellent, for me, I want two systems (not three), the M is indivisible and so it was between the A7 and the E-M1........and I like light telephoto.

    Just this guy you know

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    I really enjoyed that little read. I need a pick me up as I've just returned coughing and spluttering from the midlands. Heavy pollution in Nottingham was worse than Beijing, I'm informed. Certainly knocked me back and I'm currently on 1000mg a day of antivirals which hopefully will stop the nasty little things in question taking out my right eye. If they get to my brain instead, I'll be alright;-)
    I suffer GAS quite badly, possibly due to my years in India, and probably also because I have yet to really settle because "Everytime I thought I had it made it seemed the taste was not so sweet" I'm currently pondering the GH3 £740 with free grip, battery and a 25mm f1.4 Leica lens (I know it's not a real Leica)
    However I digress, as ever, the main point of this post is to send all good thoughts and wishes to little Scarlet, happily not so little now. I'm also happy your a gloating Granddad, welcome to the club.
    Whatever camera you had used to take the photo it wouldn't have mattered a jot, the joy and happiness of merely being alive shines through.
    It brings to mind a teaching I heard from a Buddhist teacher "The kingdom is available in the here and now, the question remains as to wether you are available to the kingdom" She surely looks like she is
    Happy pedaling;-)
    David
    Last edited by DavidL; 10th April 2014 at 11:00.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    I just read your linked blog thing : how does someone have three grandfathers?

  9. #9
    Member Bill Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Scarboro, Ontario
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There
    I published this around a week ago, came to a conclusion and promptly changed my mind about it!

    So, in the spirit of eating both Humble Pie and My Hat I thought it was only fair to revisit it with a second conclusion.

    I didn't post the original article on the 4/3 cameras page for obvious reasons, but I'm sure that some of you will have read it, and it seems only fair to publish the revised version here . . . . So that you can all take the mickey!

    GAS and Mirrorless - Revisited

    Enjoy!
    Hi Jono
    for some odd reason I am unable to open your "gas" insert. I assume from what I have read following that your choice was Olympus??

  10. #10
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Jono, you sent back your X-T1 just a day before Lightroom 5.4 was released and it does an amazing job with the Fuji files. I am sure you still have the Fuji raw files somewhere - give it a try.
    Brad Husick

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I really enjoyed that little read. I need a pick me up as I've just returned coughing and spluttering from the midlands. Heavy pollution in Nottingham was worse than Beijing, I'm informed. Certainly knocked me back and I'm currently on 1000mg a day of antivirals which hopefully will stop the nasty little things in question taking out my right eye. If they get to my brain instead, I'll be alright;-)
    I suffer GAS quite badly, possibly due to my years in India, and probably also because I have yet to really settle because "Everytime I thought I had it made it seemed the taste was not so sweet" I'm currently pondering the GH3 £740 with free grip, battery and a 25mm f1.4 Leica lens (I know it's not a real Leica)
    However I digress, as ever, the main point of this post is to send all good thoughts and wishes to little Scarlet, happily not so little now. I'm also happy your a gloating Granddad, welcome to the club.
    Whatever camera you had used to take the photo it wouldn't have mattered a jot, the joy and happiness of merely being alive shines through.
    It brings to mind a teaching I heard from a Buddhist teacher "The kingdom is available in the here and now, the question remains as to wether you are available to the kingdom" She surely looks like she is
    Happy pedaling;-)
    David
    HI David
    Thank you for the message, and thank you also for the donation, very kind, and much appreciated.
    I'm sorry you have suffered from the pollution - one of the real joys is that Scarlett seems not to have (all very prem babies have 'chronic lung disease', so it was a real worry).
    . . and as you so rightly say, it really doesn't matter which camera you take the picture with.
    She's a real darling - the positively gleams with pleasure - of course, there is no guarantee that she'll be okay, but right now there is nothing to be concerned about.
    Silas and I did 55km today in just over two hours - my legs hurt! But I do seem to be otherwise unaffected.

    all the very best wishes

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post
    I just read your linked blog thing : how does someone have three grandfathers?
    Ah! Well - one of them is a step grandfather - but he is quite as involved as the two 'real' grandfathers and thus deserves equal billing

    Just this guy you know

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Jono, you sent back your X-T1 just a day before Lightroom 5.4 was released and it does an amazing job with the Fuji files. I am sure you still have the Fuji raw files somewhere - give it a try.
    HI Brad
    I was using Aperture anyway (not LR, although I do have it for testing purposes), and it does a decent job with the files. . . . . . but the real truth is that I'm never going to change raw processors for the sake of a camera - and Aperture is my poison. . . . and that was supporting the files - which were often lovely and occasionally not.

    All the best
    Jono

    Just this guy you know

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Hi Jono
    for some odd reason I am unable to open your "gas" insert. I assume from what I have read following that your choice was Olympus??
    HI Bill
    I'm sorry you can't open it - there are others - I'm trying to get to the bottom of it, it's an issue with my ISP - but neither he nor i know what it is.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    I like Mike Johnston's summary of this sort of debate this morning on TOP:

    'Orólet's be honestófor some people it's "How in the world can I justify getting a Z when I already have a perfectly good X and Y?"'

    scott

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    I like Mike Johnston's summary of this sort of debate this morning on TOP:

    'Orólet's be honestófor some people it's "How in the world can I justify getting a Z when I already have a perfectly good X and Y?"'

    scott
    Ah, but in my case Scott I already bought Z X and Y and wanted to get rid of two of them!

    Just this guy you know

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GAS & Mirrorless - Revisited with Humble Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Ah, but in my case Scott I already bought Z X and Y and wanted to get rid of two of them!
    Well how did X and Y get into your camera cabinet when you already had M? I would agree that adding Z was really overcrowding. Anyway, MJ only implied that it applies to "some" people.

    scott
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •