Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lumix lenses on an E-M1, fully compatible? Pros and Cons?

  1. #1
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Lumix lenses on an E-M1, fully compatible? Pros and Cons?

    Hi, just asking... I have not seen a really definitive answer to this question. Are Lumix lenses fully compatible with Olympus bodies, and vice versa?

    I have heard some stories about various incompatiblities, but figured someone must have experienced this. EG. Will the 7-14mm, 25mm, 20mm and 100-300mm work with no problems on a E-M1.

    There are a couple of Olympus lenses I would like to buy for my GX7 and GH4 when it arrives...... but it would be good to be sure.

    Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

  2. #2
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Lumix lenses on an E-M1, fully compatible? Pros and Cons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matix View Post
    Hi, just asking... I have not seen a really definitive answer to this question. Are Lumix lenses fully compatible with Olympus bodies, and vice versa?

    I have heard some stories about various incompatiblities, but figured someone must have experienced this. EG. Will the 7-14mm, 25mm, 20mm and 100-300mm work with no problems on a E-M1.

    There are a couple of Olympus lenses I would like to buy for my GX7 and GH4 when it arrives...... but it would be good to be sure.

    Phil
    The main difference between Panasonic and Olympus concerns :
    1) Olympus doesn't correct CA in camera or transmit that info with the raw.
    2) Olympus stabilize images in the body and Panasonic in the lenses (but not all).

    But since the beginnings, things have evolved a little : with the introduction of the E-M1, Olympus is also correcting CA, but I'm not sure whether this is also valid for Panasonic lenses. For me, this is a non issue, since it is easily corrected in LR.

    Then Panasonic has also issued at least one body allowing IBIS. So there is some convergence. Some Panasonic stabilized lenses don't have a physical switch for IS and couldn't be controlled by Olympus bodies. However I think that newer firmwares allows that (not sure which bodies).

    Other than that, there are small differences varying lenses by lenses, but I have been mixing and matching Olympus lenses with Panasonic bodies and vice versa without much problems. I now use mainly an E-M5 with several Panasonic lenses, including all those you mention :

    - 7-14mm is probably the most problematic : on the most recent sensors, it can produce nasty flares in the form of purplish blobs. So you have to be cautious when shooting.
    - 14mm pancake : no problem.
    - 20mm pancake : has a reputation to be a little slower to focus on Olympus bodies. I never felt it was a problem personally.
    - 25mm : it will constantly produce a little clattering, as the aperture blades are constantly moving for live view. Comes from the fact that apparently Olympus deals with live view focusing differently than Panasonic. It is there, but never disturbed me.
    - 100-300mm : for me it is a crap zoom, but it was just as bad on the G3 than it is on the E-M5.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lumix lenses on an E-M1, fully compatible? Pros and Cons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    The main difference between Panasonic and Olympus concerns :
    1) Olympus doesn't correct CA in camera or transmit that info with the raw.
    2) Olympus stabilize images in the body and Panasonic in the lenses (but not all).
    But since the beginnings, things have evolved a little : since the introduction of the E-M1, Olympus is also correcting CA, but I'm not sure whether this is also valid for Panasonic lenses. For me, this is a non issue, since it is easily corrected in LR and Panasonic has issued at least one body allowing IBIS. So there is some convergence. Some Panasonic stabilized lenses don't have a physical switch for IS and couldn't be controlled by Olympus bodies. I think that newer firmwares allows that.
    Other than that, there are small differences varying lenses by lenses. I have been mixing and matching Olympus lenses with Panasonic bodies and vice versa without much problems. I now use mainly an E-M5 with several Panasonic lenses, including all those you mention :
    7-14mm is probably the most problematic : on the most recent sensors, it can produce nasty flares in the form of purplish blobs. So you have to be cautious when shooting.
    14mm pancake : no problem.
    20mm pancake : has a reputation to be a little slower to focus on Olympus bodies. I never felt it was a problem personally.
    25mm : it will constantly produce a clattering, as the aperture blades are constantly moving for live view. Comes from the fact that apparently Olympus deals with live view focusing differently than Panasonic. It is there, but never disturbed me.
    100-300mm : for me it is a crap zoom, but it was just as bad on the G3 than it is on the E-M5.
    Thanks, pretty well what I thought.. probably better going from Panasonic to Olympus, but I really do not want to go that way, tried the E-M5 but the ergonomics and no flash did not suit. I am thinking of the E-M1, but that means changing my mind set and then I have the GX7, so two different brands and two different menu systems... not sure if the frustration factor would make me happy.

    I have my name in for the GH4 which I am told will be in my hands by the end of this month... not so much that I need video, but I love the feel of that body as I had the GH3 up until a few days ago and it is great. It is either that or I get another GX7. I have found travelling with two bodies is a huge asset for me.

    Appreciate the feedback... have a few weeks to decide, then a month to work out the bugs before I am off on another trip.

    Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: Lumix lenses on an E-M1, fully compatible? Pros and Cons?

    Hi Phil

    Others have said it all really. I swop around between Oly and Pana lenses frequently and never had a problem. I think it is easier to use a Panny lens on an E-M1 than using an Oly lens on a Panasonic body though due to the built in IBIS as Oly lenses do not have an option for lens stabilisation.

    I have also seen reported that it is possible to update a Panny lens on an Oly E series camera using the Oly updater. I have certainly tried it with my 100-300 Panny lens and the program whirred away and finally came up telling me that the lens firmware was up to date and didn't need updating at this time!

    As far as IBIS is concerned, the E-M5 and E-M1 system is 5 axis and generally considered the best in class.

    I doubt if the actual image quality is any better between the latest Panny or Oly cameras though. It is the handling that it is all about IMHO.

    I still remember our day out in the New Forest earlier this year. We didn't see much wildlife apart from ponies but I enjoyed the day and your company, and the cider wasn't bad either!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  5. #5
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lumix lenses on an E-M1, fully compatible? Pros and Cons?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Hi Phil

    Others have said it all really. I swop around between Oly and Pana lenses frequently and never had a problem. I think it is easier to use a Panny lens on an E-M1 than using an Oly lens on a Panasonic body though due to the built in IBIS as Oly lenses do not have an option for lens stabilisation.

    I have also seen reported that it is possible to update a Panny lens on an Oly E series camera using the Oly updater. I have certainly tried it with my 100-300 Panny lens and the program whirred away and finally came up telling me that the lens firmware was up to date and didn't need updating at this time!

    As far as IBIS is concerned, the E-M5 and E-M1 system is 5 axis and generally considered the best in class.

    I doubt if the actual image quality is any better between the latest Panny or Oly cameras though. It is the handling that it is all about IMHO.

    I still remember our day out in the New Forest earlier this year. We didn't see much wildlife apart from ponies but I enjoyed the day and your company, and the cider wasn't bad either!
    Thanks Dave, yes I think you said it... the call will be now between the E-M1 and the GH4, being able to have stabilization in body would be good alright, we certainly have some great lens choices available. Will see in the next week or so which way I will go. I certainly like the size and weight difference, tough call.

    Yes that was a good day, we will be in the area again this year, end of July for a week, then to France for two weeks and back to Southampton for two more weeks. Taking a 3 month trip via France, Ireland and Wales first... my big birthday trip, just finalizing my kit for this trip.

    Hope to see you again then, Hi to Janet.

    Phil and Maggie.
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •