The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EF lenses on G1?

B

Bhakti-rider

This may be a stupid question (and I did try a search):
Could Canon EF lenses be used on a G1 with an adapter? I've got a 300 f2.8 IS, and it suddenly occurred to me that I'd have a 600 f2.8 if it could be made to work. If so, does anyone know of an adapter?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely, assuming you could find an EF to 4/3rds adapter and then mated it to the Panasonic 4/3rds to G1 adapter. But since EF lenses are electronic aperture, you wouldn't have aperture control and would be stuck wide open.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Absolutely, assuming you could find an EF to 4/3rds adapter and then mated it to the Panasonic 4/3rds to G1 adapter. But since EF lenses are electronic aperture, you wouldn't have aperture control and would be stuck wide open.
You might get it to work with an M42 to EF adapter and then an M42 to u4/3.

B

Bhakti-rider

Thanks. I know about the true perspective point, and I knew about the IS, but I didn't know about being stuck wide open. No way around that, huh?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jack,
I don't think an EF to 4/3 adapter is possible, due to the short flange to film distance on the EF lenses, so it would have to be a direct EF to m4/3 adapter.

I'm sure somebody will make one :)

mazor

yes a very thin adapter would be needed. Also this adapter would really need some sort of electronics if you want to control the aperture of the EF lens. I would not say it is impossible, since they have actually managed to make and adapter going from Nikon to EOS for G series Nikkors, which too sport no manual aperture ring, and yet they are able to control aperture via the adapter itself. It would be unlikely that there will be a proper EOS to micro 4/3 adapter anytime soon since the R & D required and the market share of micro 4/3 is still very small compared to the general EOS market.

MAzor

johnastovall

yes a very thin adapter would be needed. Also this adapter would really need some sort of electronics if you want to control the aperture of the EF lens. I would not say it is impossible, since they have actually managed to make and adapter going from Nikon to EOS for G series Nikkors, which too sport no manual aperture ring, and yet they are able to control aperture via the adapter itself. It would be unlikely that there will be a proper EOS to micro 4/3 adapter anytime soon since the R & D required and the market share of micro 4/3 is still very small compared to the general EOS market.

MAzor
A micro 4/3 other than the electronics does not have to be a thin adapter as it's 20mm flange to sensor. We have 24mm to work with so electronics might not even be that hard.

mazor

yes johnastovall, very true, with additional thickness, it would help fitting in more electronics and chips. Still the R & D would be expensive and one has to wonder is there really a market for EOS to be mounted onto micro 4/3. That being that EOS lens are humongous compared to the micro 4/3 variants, and that combined with extra weight would completely unbalance the G1 with even smaller lens like 50mm f1.2L for example. Also Canon has not really made any truly remarkable lens that one would want to mount onto the G1 since the G1 already has good zoom sets, and for primes, mounting Leica M and nikkors are optically and proportionally better than most.

Mazor

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
V

Vivek

You might do outboard electronics like with this Ultra Macro Nikkor.
The 55/2 focuses to infinity on the G1 as well as cover the 4/3rds sensor (at infinity).

Here mounted using the RayQual adapter (plus an LTM to M adapter- correct mounting would need a M39 thread adapter for the ultra-micro-nikkor 55/2).

johnastovall

I actually thought the difference was smaller. So I guess I should be punished for not checking :(

The 50mm f/1.2 springs to my mind as one lens that would be interesting to try, but only if AF could be made to work. If not, there are too many nice, old manual focus f/1.2 lenses available out there.
I think the way to go is with the Canon manual focus FD lenses as they are dirt cheap right now.

B

butterdada

Yes. EOS AF mount can be use on G1.
Of course, only MF. Cannot adjust aperture. Only wide open.
How to connect? EF to C mount adaptor on ebay, then C to M4/3 from Hawk.

Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8 L on DMC-G1

Diane B

Butterdada, I'd like to see more from this combo (EF lenses on G1). Is there a chance you could post a photo of the stacked adaptors with an EF lens on the G1? Mostly its curiosity on my part since I own a lot of EF lenses and haven't really wanted to use them on the G1--mostly size, but also the fact that they can only be used wide open, but---if the adaptors are inexpensive enough, there are some that could be interesting.

Diane