Site Sponsors

Thread: Canon EF lenses on G1?

Bhakti-rider

Canon EF lenses on G1?

This may be a stupid question (and I did try a search):
    Could Canon EF lenses be used on a G1 with an adapter? I've got a 300 f2.8 IS, and it suddenly occurred to me that I'd have a 600 f2.8 if it could be made to work. If so, does anyone know of an adapter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Canon EF lenses on G1?

Absolutely, assuming you could find an EF to 4/3rds adapter and then mated it to the Panasonic 4/3rds to G1 adapter. But since EF lenses are electronic aperture, you wouldn't have aperture control and would be stuck wide open.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No electronic interface no aperture control also no power for IS in the lens.

But FD lenses are so cheap, I would look for an FD 300/2.8 SSC.

How ever you only get the 600mm FOV not a true 600mm focal length.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Absolutely, assuming you could find an EF to 4/3rds adapter and then mated it to the Panasonic 4/3rds to G1 adapter. But since EF lenses are electronic aperture, you wouldn't have aperture control and would be stuck wide open.
    You might get it to work with an M42 to EF adapter and then an M42 to u4/3.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Bhakti-rider

Thanks. I know about the true perspective point, and I knew about the IS, but I didn't know about being stuck wide open. No way around that, huh?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Jack,
    I don't think an EF to 4/3 adapter is possible, due to the short flange to film distance on the EF lenses, so it would have to be a direct EF to m4/3 adapter.

I'm sure somebody will make one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good point Jorgen, it would be a thin adapter
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The L1's 4/3 system flange-to-focal plane distance is 38.67mm.." The EOS is 44mm.

So we are looking at 5.33mm adapter.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 17th January 2009 at 13:57.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

yes a very thin adapter would be needed. Also this adapter would really need some sort of electronics if you want to control the aperture of the EF lens. I would not say it is impossible, since they have actually managed to make and adapter going from Nikon to EOS for G series Nikkors, which too sport no manual aperture ring, and yet they are able to control aperture via the adapter itself. It would be unlikely that there will be a proper EOS to micro 4/3 adapter anytime soon since the R & D required and the market share of micro 4/3 is still very small compared to the general EOS market.

MAzor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might do outboard electronics like with this Ultra Macro Nikkor.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    yes a very thin adapter would be needed. Also this adapter would really need some sort of electronics if you want to control the aperture of the EF lens. I would not say it is impossible, since they have actually managed to make and adapter going from Nikon to EOS for G series Nikkors, which too sport no manual aperture ring, and yet they are able to control aperture via the adapter itself. It would be unlikely that there will be a proper EOS to micro 4/3 adapter anytime soon since the R & D required and the market share of micro 4/3 is still very small compared to the general EOS market.

MAzor
    A micro 4/3 other than the electronics does not have to be a thin adapter as it's 20mm flange to sensor. We have 24mm to work with so electronics might not even be that hard.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

yes johnastovall, very true, with additional thickness, it would help fitting in more electronics and chips. Still the R & D would be expensive and one has to wonder is there really a market for EOS to be mounted onto micro 4/3. That being that EOS lens are humongous compared to the micro 4/3 variants, and that combined with extra weight would completely unbalance the G1 with even smaller lens like 50mm f1.2L for example. Also Canon has not really made any truly remarkable lens that one would want to mount onto the G1 since the G1 already has good zoom sets, and for primes, mounting Leica M and nikkors are optically and proportionally better than most.

Mazor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or hack the lens, like Conurus does the Contax N lenses for EF.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    "The L1's 4/3 system flange-to-focal plane distance is 38.67mm.." The EOS is 44mm.

I actually thought the difference was smaller. So I guess I should be punished for not checking

The 50mm f/1.2 springs to my mind as one lens that would be interesting to try, but only if AF could be made to work. If not, there are too many nice, old manual focus f/1.2 lenses available out there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might do outboard electronics like with this Ultra Macro Nikkor.
    The 55/2 focuses to infinity on the G1 as well as cover the 4/3rds sensor (at infinity).

Here mounted using the RayQual adapter (plus an LTM to M adapter- correct mounting would need a M39 thread adapter for the ultra-micro-nikkor 55/2).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I actually thought the difference was smaller. So I guess I should be punished for not checking

The 50mm f/1.2 springs to my mind as one lens that would be interesting to try, but only if AF could be made to work. If not, there are too many nice, old manual focus f/1.2 lenses available out there.
    I think the way to go is with the Canon manual focus FD lenses as they are dirt cheap right now.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the way to go is with the Canon manual focus FD lenses as they are dirt cheap right now.
    I agree. A friend of mine wanted to sell me his F-1 with a bunch of good glass last year. Might be an idea to get in touch with him again

Post Thanks / Like

The thickness of the EF mount bayonets is 5.5mm, putting the end of an EF lens at 38.5mm from the sensor plane. The EF mount is of a larger diameter than 4/3 so the bayonet cannot fit inside 4/3's mount throat. That rules out any possibility of an adapter for EF lens to 4/3 camera.

butterdada

Yes. EOS AF mount can be use on G1.
    Of course, only MF. Cannot adjust aperture. Only wide open.
    How to connect? EF to C mount adaptor on ebay, then C to M4/3 from Hawk.

Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8 L on DMC-G1

Post Thanks / Like

Butterdada, I'd like to see more from this combo (EF lenses on G1). Is there a chance you could post a photo of the stacked adaptors with an EF lens on the G1? Mostly its curiosity on my part since I own a lot of EF lenses and haven't really wanted to use them on the G1--mostly size, but also the fact that they can only be used wide open, but---if the adaptors are inexpensive enough, there are some that could be interesting.

Diane

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Stacking an EF to C-mount adapter, and then C-Mount to Micro 4/3 adapter seems a little iffy if the lenses are big/heavy.

Butterdada doesn't appear to actually need an aperture ring on any lens, as all the posted shots are at full aperture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Stacking an EF to C-mount adapter, and then C-Mount to Micro 4/3 adapter seems a little iffy if the lenses are big/heavy.

Butterdada doesn't appear to actually need an aperture ring on any lens, as all the posted shots are at full aperture.
    But it seem to work well, doesn't it? It's a shame the EF50/1.0 won't work though...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it does! I enjoy butterdada's photos. I'd just be careful, depending on how big the lens is.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, owning the 24-70L, I wouldn't mount it LOL. Then again--my usual hands under the lens would probably be okay, but....

And there's that--wide open Works for him, though, doesn't it?

I don't have much desire to use any of my EF lenses on the G1 though--even the smallest is not that small/light (relatively). I take that back--would love to use the 45 TSe--but then I really would want to stop down at times

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Well, owning the 24-70L, I wouldn't mount it LOL. Then again--my usual hands under the lens would probably be okay, but....

And there's that--wide open Works for him, though, doesn't it?

I don't have much desire to use any of my EF lenses on the G1 though--even the smallest is not that small/light (relatively). I take that back--would love to use the 45 TSe--but then I really would want to stop down at times

Diane
    You can force some EF lenses to stop down by setting the desired aperture on a Canon body, pressing the DoF Preview then dismounting the lens while DoF preview is still engaged. The trick is also useful for getting smaller apertures when reversing 50's for cheap macro work.

Ranger 9

I think it would be reasonably safe if you always support the lens and just let the camera hang off the back of it. The camera body is light, so it shouldn't stress the mount very much.

pix2pixels

We should follow developments for this mount or get in touch with Alex for developing a mount for the micro 4/3 system.

The RED ONE camera market is limited to ~5-6000 cameras sold so far and with the imminent release of the Scarlet, the 4/3 would become very attractive, just by the number of cameras flooding the market only.

He already has a prototype to control aperture & focus for EF lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pix2pixels View Post
    We should follow developments for this mount or get in touch with Alex for developing a mount for the micro 4/3 system.

The RED ONE camera market is limited to ~5-6000 cameras sold so far and with the imminent release of the Scarlet, the 4/3 would become very attractive, just by the number of cameras flooding the market only.

He already has a prototype to control aperture & focus for EF lenses.
    That mount is very interesting. There are a couple of my EF lenses that I'd love to be able to use with the G1--larger than I'd like, but would be great fun. My 45 TSe (becoming FOV of 90mm--not as good for my uses as on 5D, but still would be fun), my 15FE--and maybe even my 28 f/1.8--perhaps even my quite good (on 5D at least) 12-24. I haven't checked weight, but don't think any of these would be too heavy--though bulky.

Diane

pix2pixels

Warning!
    This mount is intended for digital movie cameras. The focus is to be achieved with a separate controller by a focus puller/camera assistant. It would be quite cumbersome to be used by only one person.

Post Thanks / Like

Warning!
    This mount is intended for digital movie cameras. The focus is to be achieved with a separate controller by a focus puller/camera assistant. It would be quite cumbersome to be used by only one person.
    Yes, I got that more or less after looking around the site, but--I got the impression from reading that if someone really wants to make an adaptor, its possible (even this developer but even with a lot of G1s out there--and the GH1 to come--I suspect he will be less than enthused to make one). I still don't think there will enough demand for an EF to m4/3rds adaptor.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone indicated the use of FD lens. I have an old 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 3.5 macro. Are there adapters allowing the use of FD lens with the G1? If so, what is the source of such adapters?

Post Thanks / Like

Howard, yes indeedy there are FD adaptors. There are actually a number of sources. I bought a Cameraquest (from Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest) which is the same as the Rayqual. There are at least 2 other sources I know about--the jinfinance and the Polish one. Look here http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dx428wg_10fdvsmtd7

I've been shooting with my old FD 50 f/1.8 and bought some very inexpensive (but in great shape) FDs from KEH--a 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.8 and 135 f/2.8. Wish now I had bought the 24 f/2 but am well pleased with output from the 4 I bought. I also bought a really cheap ( all for under $20) extension tube set plus an extra to add particularly to the 50 for macros. Works well.

Here are some FD shots I separated out for those interested. I haven't had it too long, but really enjoy shooting MF with the G1. http://www.pbase.com/picnic/fd_gallery

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 22nd March 2009 at 11:11. Reason: forgot to add URL

pix2pixels

Camerquest is one of them

pix2pixels

Diane,

It depends on the quality of the movie mode this camera will show.
    'Build it and they will come'. There are a LOT of filmmakers that are looking for an affordable digital camera with manual focus. Nikon D90's image quality is far from adequate, Canon 5Dm2 has almost no manual control on anything.

The Panasonic G1H is the first one so far to offer manual exposure control and a sensor size that allows manipulating the depth of field, with manual focus lenses. There are about 5 major manufacturers of 35mm DOF adapters and thousands of users who are interested in an affordable path to the elusive 'film' look.

pix2pixels

Just bought yesterday from a local photo market a 135 f2 in great condition. I paid 20% of the price of the price of an ebay auction I missed a day before. I said 20% of not off.
    The premium FD lenses are still fetching good prices and are harder and harder to find, due to the 35mm DOF adapters and the possibility of using them on the soon to be released Scarlet camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all for the your source info. Diane - your shots with the FD lens indicates impressive results are achievable with FD lenses and the G1.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Diane,

It depends on the quality of the movie mode this camera will show.
    'Build it and they will come'. There are a LOT of filmmakers that are looking for an affordable digital camera with manual focus. Nikon D90's image quality is far from adequate, Canon 5Dm2 has almost no manual control on anything.

The Panasonic G1H is the first one so far to offer manual exposure control and a sensor size that allows manipulating the depth of field, with manual focus lenses. There are about 5 major manufacturers of 35mm DOF adapters and thousands of users who are interested in an affordable path to the elusive 'film' look.
    Hmm--I hadn't thought of that. It seemed he was so focused on the Red One but I don't know his connections or background. I've been following the groups on Vimeo--esp. with the 5DII--and of course I've read the posts by video people that are really enthusiastic about the G1H. So--perhaps, as you said--'if you build it, they will come'--and there are a heck of a lot of EF mount shooters out there that have had their appetites whetted by the 5DII--but, as I understand it, the G1H should surpass it--but lack lenses for the time being, except for the alternative ones.

Diane

butterdada

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Butterdada, I'd like to see more from this combo (EF lenses on G1). Is there a chance you could post a photo of the stacked adaptors with an EF lens on the G1? Mostly its curiosity on my part since I own a lot of EF lenses and haven't really wanted to use them on the G1--mostly size, but also the fact that they can only be used wide open, but---if the adaptors are inexpensive enough, there are some that could be interesting.

Diane
    Sorry My DMC-G1 has been left in Hawk there for a long time to develop various kinds of adaptors.
    So I can't show you the photo of combination.