Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2 lens experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2 lens experiences?

Have any of you experience using the new Panasonic 42.5mm lens? My interest is using it on an Olympus M1.

I would appreciate any comments. Also any video experience (in my case I have a granddaughter and would expect to use the lens in low light). Thank you.

Peter Linden

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2 lens experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by plinden View Post
    Have any of you experience using the new Panasonic 42.5mm lens? My interest is using it on an Olympus M1.

I would appreciate any comments. Also any video experience (in my case I have a granddaughter and would expect to use the lens in low light). Thank you.

Peter Linden
    I have shot some images of my kids with it.
    I really like the rendering of the lens. It handles quite well on the EM1 and IQ is very good.
    I some images I didn't nail focus when using it wide open, but it was probably because my kids are not standing still.
    I think f1.2 is not only usefull for shallow DOF, but it also allows you to shoot at lower ISO in the same light.

I also did some comparison shots with the 45/1.8 Oly....and have to say the difference in IQ is not worlds apart. So considering price and size I am not 100% sure which lens makes more sense. At the moment I keep both until I made up my mind.

Regarding video..haven't tried it but it came to my mind that it must be a terrific lens for video with its smooth rendering.

Post Thanks / Like

tried both. go for the 45mm 1.8. The difference in bokeh is of course noticible but in my mind not worth 1300 in price difference
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

EM1 user.
    I have both the Oly 45/1.8 and the PL 42,5/1.2.
    The PL 42,5 is quite superior talking corner to corner sharpness, micro contrast and pop. It is more subtle rendering and shows a color beauty truly unmatched. The Bokeh is one of the most beautiful I've seen from any lens regardless format.
    I've not used my Oly 45 since I got the PL 42,5.
    Truly a Masterpiece and a must have lens for the 43 connoisseur.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd really love this lens, but when I was thinking of which 45mm to purchase I chose the Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH. I chose it because I'd used it before, extensively, and love its rendering qualities, it's fast enough, and of course it not only does a beautiful job on portraits and landscapes but is a superb macro focusing lens as well. It's very sharp wide open (usually f/2.8 is as wide-open as I want with a 45mm anyway for portraiture) and only improves a trifle through the rest of the range. It's lighter and a bit smaller than the Nocticron, a little heavier and larger than the M.Z 45/1.8.

Lots of good choices!

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

The Oly 45/1.8 is a stunning good lens and for the buck a true winner of the value for money IQ equation/competitiveness reward.
    I've not tried the PL 45/2.8, but many good folks reports the positive results that Godfrey so clearly states. The macro feature this lens sports is a benefit seriously to consider. Since my bag includes the Oly 60/2.8 macro lens, I didn't consider the P 45/f2.8. I judge it as a serious bid for you Peter.
    The PL 42,5/1.2 satisfies not only the test labs, Diglloyd, Huff and who else. It reveals the inner soul of the motive at a very high level. It is simply a joy to look at the light it recorded. To me this lens speaks transparency in spades.

If you have any possibility to try or rent the pack of the 45 range lenses, do that and make your own conclusion.

Post Thanks / Like

I read that the nocticron is too large to be used on an EM5 with grip. What about on EM1? (I know EM1 has a little more width in the grip area). This might become a deal breaker if one cannot fit it on the EM5 with grip.

Anyone with actual experience with the combo?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm leaning towards buying both the Zuiko 45/1.8 and the PanaLeica 42/1.2, one for travel in combination with a smaller body (GX7?) and one for more "serious" work with the GH bodies.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    I read that the nocticron is too large to be used on an EM5 with grip. What about on EM1? (I know EM1 has a little more width in the grip area). This might become a deal breaker if one cannot fit it on the EM5 with grip.

I haven't had a Nocticron in my hands to try ou, but the E-M1 works very nicely with much larger lenses (ZD 11-22, 50-200). I can't imagine any difficulty fitting and using the Nocticron.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

I love it. It's worth every cent! It works beautifully with my M1, and my GX7. The M1 has a grip, and the GX7 is sans grip. No problem with holding either camera with the noct hung on it.
    Stephen
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Nocti and EM1 are a very balanced couple. The glove fits the hand well and cause no tension holding the combo.
    Looks perhaps pretty bulk with the lens hood on, but without it's very handsome and compact looking.
    Very similar weight balance like the 75 and 12-40.
    The Nocti is the King of Sharpness in the 43 town, whereas the Oly 75 and PL 25 might be called the Queens of Sharpness.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

you mean the mistresses?

Post Thanks / Like

In other words maybe better to say:

Each one 25, 42,5 and 75 are Kings within their focal pool. But for ultimate sharpness the 42,5 is Emperor above the two others.

It is my hope the new PL 15 mm may join the exclusive club. I'll get one in May.

Post Thanks / Like

This might help to choose:

Panasonic Lumix Nocticron 42.5mm/1.2 Lens Comparisons

I did several of these kind of comparisons, but it came out to the benefit of the Nocti in any case.
    We have to have in mind that all lenses comes with some production tolerances and that might cause we may experience different results making those comparos.
    I would claim that the motive chosen in the link above may not be the best in order to show the real differences between the Nocti and the Oly 45. One really have to shoot live out there in daylight under the hard light conditions we often face, where CA and fringing a la carte often sets the rules of the game and hence put the optics on tough trials.
    Let there be no doubt that the Nocti surpasses the Oly45 rather convincingly in live use. And it should indeed at this price level.

DxOMarks just updated their best lenses for M43 and I was glad to find the new LP 15 mm listed very high.
    Best prime lenses for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 - DxOMark
    Then I hope I'll find the lens rendering as beautiful as the other ranging that high on the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had read that too, but it is not true with the Olympus battery grip (HLD or HDL6?). With the lens cap reversed for storage, it is too tight on the E-M5, but fine on the E-M1 IMHO, but with the lens cap in extended position or off, it is perfectly fine on the E-M5 (ands obviously on the E-M1).

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got my GH4 and Nocticron and went out for a walk last night. It's a solid package, very stable in the hand. This is SOOC monochrome setting jpeg, f1.2. I'm a happy camper.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to draw the attention to all MFT users that the 42,5 Noct is a must have lens.
    The more I use it, the more it stays glued to the camera body ;-)

The most impressing about this perfect lens is it reminds you on how good those MFT sensors actually are. It is the only lens I have that clearly resolves the potential of the sensor and then it's flawless. Rendering gets 5 stars+ to my book.

交換レンズレビュー:LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2 ASPH./POWER O.I.S - デジカメ Watch

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering how many of the owners here are putting a filter over their glass? I'm split between protecting it and not adding any more glass to it =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MRfanny View Post
    Just wondering how many of the owners here are putting a filter over their glass? I'm split between protecting it and not adding any more glass to it =)
    I do use a UV filter as protection against smears, dirt and damage although a lens hood may well provide the latter. The purists will always advocate not putting another two layers of glass surface in front of expensive lenses!

I am neither a purist nor pixel peeper just an every day practical photographer!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

As it happens it seems I just joined the ranks: I'll go naked though ...

All the very best.
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I dont use UV filters, but usually allways use the Hoods as protection.
    I might use one if I was Shooting in really dirty or heavy weather conditions at the sea.

Post Thanks / Like

First outing today, no filter =) The sharpness and contrast from this lens is amazing. I can't put my finger on it but it definitely has its own character over the Olympus 45 1.8.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I also think ist a great lens. The only Thing...the size somewhats make m43 sizeadvantages to dissappear - thats why I dont bring it that often with me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

First outing today, no filter =) The sharpness and contrast from this lens is amazing. I can't put my finger on it but it definitely has its own character over the Olympus 45 1.8.
    It's the 'Leica Glow' ... 🎃
    Bart ...

Berkeley, California and Gold Coast, Queensland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Morning Light in the Monastery. Nocticron on a GH3.

Rev. Heng Sure
    Berkeley Buddhist Monastery
    paramita.typepad.com
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW - I'm pretty amazed how clear and sharp the images are this lens produces even wide open at f1.2.
    There's real 'Leica magic' in the way the Nocticron renders.
    But YMMV ...

Question is where do we post our Nocticron images: this specific thread or the more general 43 ?

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

lately I have been noticing purple and green fringing wide open in high contrast areas in lightroom 5.6 and now 5.7. Does anyone else see this? by the way this lens hasn't left the body since day one of putting it on =) Will have to come off eventually.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

lately I have been noticing purple and green fringing wide open in high contrast areas in lightroom 5.6 and now 5.7. Does anyone else see this? by the way this lens hasn't left the body since day one of putting it on =) Will have to come off eventually.
    MrFanny, not sure if this is exceptional for this particular lens.
    In my experience all fast lenses suffer from some degree of fringing/ca wide-open in contrasty circumstances.
    Perhaps LR doesn't handle it very well ? Do you have another tool available you can try ?

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I wouldn't post in a thread like this, since I do not own this lens. Neither do i want to discourage those with lots of disposable income from buying lots of special lenses and supporting the industry. But some of the run-away enthusiasm is a bit much to take. I find it distasteful that a lens priced for only the rich would be called a "must have" lens, no matter how good it is.

Ethics aside, what are the facts? I like to determine these from actual lab tests, and not from wishful thinking. They can be confirmed by looking at pictures. Indeed, the Panasonic Nocticron 42.5mm is a sharp lens, but is not a runaway leader, despite what some here would have you believe. In fact, it is matched and bettered by the Olympus 45mm and Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm, depending on your criteria. Isn't it nice to have so much choice?

If you want the fastest lens, then you must buy the Nokton, even though the resolution figures wide open are quite bad. To be expected! Thankfully, most of the time we do not shoot at such apertures, unless we are looking for special effects. Perhaps we can compare all three lenses at f/2? That is a nice useful aperture, which enables us to get a model's nose and eyes in focus at the same time. That's generally a good thing, in my books.

Wonder of wonders, all three lenses have the same centre resolution, 70 lpmm. In fact the Nocticron is slightly less, not that I take small differences as significant. (They aren't.) At the edges, the Nocticron manages to be as good as the Olympus lens, but fares worse as you stop down. The best edge performance at f/2 comes from the Nokton.

As for rendering, surely that is in the eye of the beholder. Very few lenses are "magical", and the older optical formulas in the Panasonic Leica lenses are showing their age (opinion).

Regardless, I would question the logic in putting a gigantic lens on a small camera body when one would be better served by using a system with a larger sensor. The advantages of MFT are weight and size, best served by the Olympus 45mm. Anyone obsessing over depth of field or ultimate image quality is likely in the wrong place.

The Olympus 45mm is the must-have lens in this field of view. It is a magical optic, considering the price. Other lenses might be nice to have for those wedded to the MFT format. Me, I'd prefer to shoot Pentax and Zeiss glass on a Sony A7S. (Though this is currently wishful thinking on my part.)

Note: measurements from Lenstip.
    Listen to my new album "The Drones" free on BandCamp. Visit my Flickr images, website, or blog. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a fair number of detailed resolution tests showing the Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 to be quite spectacular and right up there with the Olympus 75 1.8 in terms of optical brilliance. As usual, tests are going to vary, but most of the evidence I have seen suggests you get an additional stop over the Olympus 45 1.8 and comparable to better performance. The CV lens is manual focus and so not comparable for many users. It also seems to test out as somewhat weaker in certain areas.

As always, its up for individuals to decide what they like and what they can afford. Personally, were I investing heavily into this system, I would want a medium portrait lens with a gentle character. IMO the Panny 42.5 produces the nicest images of all lenses available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a dilemma for those of us with more than one camera system. A GH4 plus the 42.5mm is considerably more expensive than a D750 and a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and only 200g lighter. While the Panasonic combo is far superior for video, that is not the case for photography. For the monies that will buy me the Panasonic super-duo, I can actually buy a D810 with the Nikkor. The D810 is twice as heavy as and much larger than the GH4, but it's also another class of camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Having owned both 1.4/85 lenses (G and before G) from Nikon I only can assure you that these were MUCH worse WRT cyan and purple fringing shot wide open! I even had my 1.4/85G in for inspection because of this, but was told by Nikon Europe this is absolutely normal.

So I would not wonder that the 42.5 1.2 has some fringing as well. At least if it is not as bad as the Nikon lenses this is already a big plus. I currently shoot the 1.8/75 and this is a hell of a lens, but actually would also like to own the 1.2/42.5 one day! Just because of the Leica look!

BTW I was also shooting the Canon 1.2/85L latest (actual) version some years ago and this is IMHO by far the best fast 85 portrait lens one can buy today.

Peter
    Last edited by ptomsu; 2nd December 2014 at 09:26.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It's a dilemma for those of us with more than one camera system. A GH4 plus the 42.5mm is considerably more expensive than a D750 and a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and only 200g lighter. While the Panasonic combo is far superior for video, that is not the case for photography. For the monies that will buy me the Panasonic super-duo, I can actually buy a D810 with the Nikkor. The D810 is twice as heavy as and much larger than the GH4, but it's also another class of camera.
    But I would not compare apples with oranges. Mirrorless like the GH4 has so many advantages over DSLR - I just had a big shoot last weekend with my EM1 and the 1.8/75 plus the 2.8/12-40 - it was a concert in a church with only bad light, but the outcome was exceptional! And much easier to shoot that compared to my D700 and D800E some years ago. Simply because exposure was just spot on because of WYSIWYG of mirrorless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    But I would not compare apples with oranges. Mirrors like the GH4 has so many advantages over DSLR - I just had a big shoot last weekend with my EM1 and the 1.8/75 plus the 2.8/12-40 - it was a concert in a church with only bad light, but the outcome was exceptional! And much easier to shoot that compared to my D700 and D800E some years ago. Simply because exposure was just spot on because of WYSIWYG of mirrorless.
    I know, Peter, I know. My problem is that I do sports photography, sometimes at night. For that, mirrorless is useless. In a few months, I also have an industrial assignment requiring a high megapixel camera. I can keep the Nikons I have for sports, buy a used A7r for big files and keep m4/3 for the rest, but it's expensive to keep more than one system, and it may not make much sense if all my photography can be done with a D810 and lenses that are mostly cheaper than those for m4/3

Post Thanks / Like

I know, Peter, I know. My problem is that I do sports photography, sometimes at night. For that, mirrorless is useless. In a few months, I also have an industrial assignment requiring a high megapixel camera. I can keep the Nikons I have for sports, buy a used A7r for big files and keep m4/3 for the rest, but it's expensive to keep more than one system, and it may not make much sense if all my photography can be done with a D810 and lenses that are mostly cheaper than those for m4/3
    At least the D810 is the best DSLR currently available - IMHO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At least the D810 is the best DSLR currently available - IMHO!
    That we can agree on

I'll pay the camera store a visit tomorrow and see where I'm heading.

Post Thanks / Like

That we can agree on

I'll pay the camera store a visit tomorrow and see where I'm heading.
    Will you go with the 1.8 Nikkor lenses (20, 28, 85)? And the 4/70-200 VR? IMHO the best Nikkor glass available today .....

They also should have some nice cashback for lenses - at least Nikon Europe does.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

this thread is about Nocticron experiences, right ?
    it's not about Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Voigtlander, Zeiss or Olympus lenses, right ?
    good, I thought so too

All the very best, whatever tickles your fancy
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    this thread is about Nocticron experiences, right ?
    it's not about Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Voigtlander, Zeiss or Olympus lenses, right ?
    good, I thought so too

All the very best, whatever tickles your fancy
    Well I must agree, BUT ....

on the other side this discussions shows also some comparative findings between "equivalent" lenses and why to choose one (system or brand) over the other. And this was the only intention ....

Hope that helps a bit and increases liberality
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Having owned both 1.4/85 lenses (G and before G) from Nikon I only can assure you that these were MUCH worse WRT cyan and purple fringing shot wide open! I even had my 1.4/85G in for inspection because of this, but was told by Nikon Europe this is absolutely normal.

So I would not wonder that the 42.5 1.2 has some fringing as well. At least if it is not as bad as the Nikon lenses this is already a big plus. I currently shoot the 1.8/75 and this is a hell of a lens, but actually would also like to own the 1.2/42.5 one day! Just because of the Leica look!

BTW I was also shooting the Canon 1.2/85L latest (actual) version some years ago and this is IMHO by far the best fast 85 portrait lens one can buy today.

Peter
    Thats good to hear. A simple adjustment in lightroom helped a bit =)

For me I shoot a lot of street fashion and I wasn't getting that subject separation and contrast like that of the other full frame shooters with my Oly 45mm. I am now getting something close to that with the Nocticron. I also wanted autofocus for the streets, and OIS for video as video is my main bread and butter. I can clearly see the difference between my Oly 45 and Nocticron images. Weight and size, its no different to putting on a 14-140 or 12-35mm. I also shoot with a battery grip as it aids in more stable hand held video so being compact for me is already out the window =) Of course I would love it to be cheaper but I sleep well at night with my purchase.

Only gripe is the dodgy lens hood that came with it. Has anyone had any luck getting the replacement updated hood that doesnt leak?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats good to hear. A simple adjustment in lightroom helped a bit =)

For me I shoot a lot of street fashion and I wasn't getting that subject separation and contrast like that of the other full frame shooters with my Oly 45mm. I am now getting something close to that with the Nocticron. I also wanted autofocus for the streets, and OIS for video as video is my main bread and butter. I can clearly see the difference between my Oly 45 and Nocticron images. Weight and size, its no different to putting on a 14-140 or 12-35mm. I also shoot with a battery grip as it aids in more stable hand held video so being compact for me is already out the window =) Of course I would love it to be cheaper but I sleep well at night with my purchase.

Only gripe is the dodgy lens hood that came with it. Has anyone had any luck getting the replacement updated hood that doesnt leak?
    Hi there MrFanny,

I'm not aware that my hood is leaking: no problems so far whatsoever.
    But I take it you mean leaking light ?
    Or is it that glue residue left on the lens barrel ?

Thank you.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I got this lens when I already had the 45 1.8. I sometimes need the speed. This was 3200 iso, 1.2 and 125. I initially started shooting this sequence with the 75 1.8 and could not get sharp results due to the shutter speed. Even then I had shoots that could have been better with a higher shutter speed. 100/125 was about the lower limit for sharp enough results.

This was with the GX7. I gave up the EM-1's IBIS for the GX7 superior focus capabilities in this situation. I have tried it with both cameras in similar situations and usually the GX7 wins on focus.

Laarry
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Hi there MrFanny,

I'm not aware that my hood is leaking: no problems so far whatsoever.
    But I take it you mean leaking light ?
    Or is it that glue residue left on the lens barrel ?

Thank you.

Kind regards.
    No light leaks just glue residue. I walked back into my store after a month and they happily replaced it with one from a recently made delivery so fingers crossed the issue has been fixed.

On another note, does everyone else's lens rattles when shaken, sounds like the floating OIS mechanism.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No light leaks just glue residue. I walked back into my store after a month and they happily replaced it with one from a recently made delivery so fingers crossed the issue has been fixed.

On another note, does everyone else's lens rattles when shaken, sounds like the floating OIS mechanism.
    There are a few more that have that rattle: the 45 Macro-Elmarit jumps to mind.
    Not sure it's Leica related or a more general issue with Panasonic lenses.
    I'll be keeping a close look on my lens hood, but so far so good.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rparmar View Post
    Normally I wouldn't post in a thread like this, since I do not own this lens. Neither do i want to discourage those with lots of disposable income from buying lots of special lenses and supporting the industry. But some of the run-away enthusiasm is a bit much to take. I find it distasteful that a lens priced for only the rich would be called a "must have" lens, no matter how good it is.
    I'm not rich. Far from it. But I bought one and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am not wealthy (disposable income is a foreign term to me), but I work with my equipment and pay it off.

That being said, the Nocticron is an incredible performer on m43 cameras, I am thoroughly impressed with its performance on my GH4 both with stills and video. Obviously it's not cheap, but in my honest opinion it is a worthwhile purchase if you value high performance portrait lenses.
    Analog // Digital

Post Thanks / Like

I took one into my bag, no, plugged it into my E-M1. WOW, that is a performer. It is a perfect addition to my 75mm f1.8 Zuiko.. For Bokeh Lovers its a must have lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Frankly, I'm rather pleased with myself for choosing the Nocticron over the Nokton.
    Although, admittedly, it was pretty close.
    Let's not forget AF is a very nifty feature to have on board (certainly at my age ) and more than worth the extra dough.

But as always: YMHAO ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a like new used 42.5mm and my first impression was this is a heavy lens. My second impression was after looking at images and the word is awesome! Love this lens!
    Bobby

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zensu View Post
    Just got a like new used 42.5mm and my first impression was this is a heavy lens. My second impression was after looking at images and the word is awesome! Love this lens!
    Bobby
    Congrats, Bobby !
    You're lucky to pick up a second hand.
    Like you I too think this is an awesome lens.

But hey - now you've got to post some ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...