The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which would you choose - Panasonic GH3 or Olympus EM1?

rrobinson54

I have been using the Olympus EM1 for a few months and recently got a great deal on a low usage Panasonic GH3. I cannot keep both cameras and am having a hard time deciding which to keep. I like the ergonomics and EVF better on the EM1. The GH3 has a much better menu system (for me) and I use Panasonic lenses (12-35, 35-100, 42.5). I am leaning toward the EM1, but would really appreciate any comments and opinions on which camera you would keep and why. I am mostly a still photographer and not much into video.

Thank you for any comments you can provide!

Tanngrisnir

I have been using the Olympus EM1 for a few months and recently got a great deal on a low usage Panasonic GH3. I cannot keep both cameras and am having a hard time deciding which to keep. I like the ergonomics and EVF better on the EM1. The GH3 has a much better menu system (for me) and I use Panasonic lenses (12-35, 35-100, 42.5). I am leaning toward the EM1, but would really appreciate any comments and opinions on which camera you would keep and why. I am mostly a still photographer and not much into video.

Thank you for any comments you can provide!
Stills-wise, there's no difference of substance that I've been able to see, and you can get the same results w/either camera.

And while I agree with you completely about the UI of Panasonics being far better than the EM1, there are a few features on the EM1 that the GH3 doesn't have, primarily amongst them 1/8000 shutter speed and the really nifty long exposure trick of being able to actually check on the exposure while it's happening (and stop it if one desires).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have often considered buying an E-M1 in addition to my GH3, mostly because of IBIS and presumed better AF. Now, I'm leaning towards buying another GH3 or a GH4. I like the ergonomics of the Panasonic (or have gotten used to it after using the GH1 and GH2 for a few years), the AF of the GH3 is much better than I first thought, with video there's no competition, the battery is larger, the articulated LCD can move into more positions...

There's also something very "business-like" about the Panasonic. It's not a pretty camera, at least not in my view, but it does the job in a very convincing way. I like that.

Still, both cameras have enough advantages to make it a draw. I would sell the one that returns the most cash :)

f6cvalkyrie

Same here, Oly for the IBIS, but I would love to have an Oly with a fully orientable screen, just like the Pannys ...

Both are very very nice cameras !

C U
Rafael

rrobinson54

Quick question - I read on another site that you need to use a UV2A filter on the Panasonic 12-35 if you use the Olympus E-M1 camera (to help remove purple fringing). True or not true?

Tanngrisnir

Quick question - I read on another site that you need to use a UV2A filter on the Panasonic 12-35 if you use the Olympus E-M1 camera (to help remove purple fringing). True or not true?
I've never heard of that other than for the (otherwise amazing) Panasonic 7-14.