The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

multi shot for upscaling

mmbma

I need to print one of my images to 60x48

However the subject matter is only reachable using a 400mm lens, currently I can only reach that using my m4/3 system.

I'll need to upscale anyway but want to start with as much pixels as possible.

Which is a better technique through multishot?

1- take the same image multiple times and blend in Photoshop

2- zoom in further, and take multiple shots of the different portions of the image, then blend into panorama in photoshop.

any thoughts on which would give more resolution in the final image?

tbhv55

solved it. zoomed in and took portions of the shot
That's what I would have suggested if I'd seen your original post, before you answered your own question...;)

I must admit, though, that I didn't really understand Option 1 in your post.:confused::eek:

mmbma

Well do you remember those Multishot digital backs? They took multiple shots of the same image and produced more resolution.

I wonder if we could do the same in photoshop or some other blending software

f8orbust

I have wondered about this as well. Since we're dealing with photo sites of ~0.005mm, even with two successive identical shots of the same scene, the sensor is almost guaranteed to have been displaced by this amount or more (e.g. just via shutter vibration).

Might there be a way in software to take the image data from 2 or more 'identical' images from a standard DB (i.e. not a HB MS one, which is obviously designed to do this) and combine them to get a higher res image, or one with non-interpolated color, or both?

Jim

Annna T

Well do you remember those Multishot digital backs? They took multiple shots of the same image and produced more resolution.

I think that this technique was used to mitigate the noise and thus get more resolution. Nowadays that sensors are better, it would only bring more resolution if you are shooting at high ISO. But you didn't tell anything about light conditions.

Stitching shots as you did was probably a more effective way to increase resolution.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member

"Photoacute" does a great job. You need at least four images to do that.

Best,
----------
Manouch