The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Was the G1 made for us??

kevinparis

OK the Fun with 4/3rds thread got diverted into a discussion about who was leading the micro four thirds movement.

In attempt to pull that thread back to being a place to share cool photos and engage in a little gentle banter I asked for a return to normal viewing with the following

"Please realise that Panasonic are not building their business plan on the niche market of people who want to attach expensive/obscure lenses to their g1. They are going after a much bigger if less knowledgeable market.

sure they have been kind enough to allow the facility to add older lenses... but that is not their focus if you excuse the pun"

This prompted a request from Brian to start a new thread to take the whole micro four thirds issue ot of the fun thread

so here we are... let the games begin... unleash the hounds of hell... let brave men (and women) speak honest and true...

K

V

Vivek

Oh, sure it is certainly made for me! I had about 2 dozen primes that could be used on a m4/3rds camera (because of the short register).

The G1 is now warming them up for the anticipated arrival of a "real" m4/3rds cam from Olympus.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

My earlier Epson comparison, I meant it. Most Leica users who bought an Epson R-D1s did not buy it because of Epson but in spite of that brand name.

Terry

The G1 is now warming them up for the anticipated arrival of a "real" m4/3rds cam from Olympus.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

My earlier Epson comparison, I meant it. Most Leica users who bought an Epson R-D1s did not buy it because of Epson but in spite of that brand name.
Two questions from this:

I still haven't heard what a real m4/3 is going to look like and how you are going to focus it

With your Epson comment what are you implying about Panasonic cameras? They seem to be doing a pretty darn good job to me....starting back with the Digilux 2 and its fantastic lens moving forward since then. Interesting that they seem to have cameras that are ending up in top positions in many different review categories (yes, mainly the small sensor cameras).

kevinparis

missed your earlier epson comparison... but as far as i understand the RD-1 was a true vanity project. it was never designed as a sustainable revenue stream for Epson... just a a whim of their CEO.

MFt is a serious attempt at a moneymaking effort by panansonic and olympus. They have identified a niche in the market of people moving up from P +S yet intimidated by SLRS - they reckon this market to be maybe as much as 20 million cameras a year worldwide.

jonoslack

Hmmm
Well, I've got one, and I'm very impressed, and I think the short register and the focusing on M lenses is splendid. The Image quality is excellent, the focusing is surprisingly fast, and in good light the viewfinder is better than one could have expected

But no - I don't think it's for me, I like optical viewfinders, and if I'm using M lenses, then I'd rather put them on an M . . .

V

Vivek

Terry:

I do not read online reviews and they do not influence what I buy or do not buy.

I am not a camera designer so, I am not qualified to make any suggestion as to who is going to implement what, how (even if I do who cares?:ROTFL:).

I just happen to like Olympus' name. I am a "Zuikoholic".:D

jonoslack

Two questions from this:

I still haven't heard what a real m4/3 is going to look like and how you are going to focus it
Well, plug in EVF? I don't think Olympus have announced enough.

Still, let's hope they provide a good answer, together with sensor based stabilisation (which will help).

I'm hoping so anyway, because the SLR-like form factor of the G1 simply makes me want to use an SLR . . . and using M lenses the blackout and review simply makes me want to stick the lens on an M8.

But that's just me - I do think it's a splendid and interesting camera

V

Vivek

sure they have been kind enough to allow the facility to add older lenses... but that is not their focus if you excuse the pun"

K
Oh, Kevin, I had some choice words popping in my thoughts to translate that "kind enough" phrase..:ROTFL::ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Well, plug in EVF? I don't think Olympus have announced enough.

Still, let's hope they provide a good answer, together with sensor based stabilisation (which will help).

I'm hoping so anyway, because the SLR-like form factor of the G1 simply makes me want to use an SLR . . . and using M lenses the blackout and review simply makes me want to stick the lens on an M8.

But that's just me - I do think it's a splendid and interesting camera
I agree with that SLR lookalike (P&S camera form factor- my addition). The pop-up (which malfunctions 1/3 times when a non-kit lens is used) is the culprit. I will check the wiring and I may chop it off completely along with the LUMIX (I blacked it out now) plastered on it.:ROTFL:

monza

Heh. Panasonic has even robbed some of us the ability to black out 'Lumix.' :) 'Redding' or 'Bluing' out just isn't the same.

V

Vivek

True!! If you discover a true black paint for that dreadful LUMIX advertisement (I paid for the camera and not that damned ugly spam), please let me know.:)

Brian Mosley

"Please realise that Panasonic are not building their business plan on the niche market of people who want to attach expensive/obscure lenses to their g1. They are going after a much bigger if less knowledgeable market.

K
Thanks Kevin,

I think that Panasonic may have been caught out by the interest of legacy lens owners in the G1... and may very well have been intending to go for a larger audience, but the influence of these happy early adopters who knew exactly what they wanted from the G1 should not be underestimated.

It will be in the interest of Panasonic to listen to these early adopters with a passion for their photography, and their classic legacy lenses... because they have such a major effect in setting the on-line tone towards m4/3rds.

I'm counting on this for Panasonic to deliver the firmware upgrade we've discussed here.

As for Olympus, they are in a superb position to see how influential early adopters can be towards a new camera release.

They've seen the overwhelming response to the tobacco tin mockup, and can adjust their design to give us in-body stabilisation and an EVF if they really want to have a massive success on their hands. ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Leica 77

The Lumix G1 is an incredible little camera which appears to be made for many of us -- DSLR enthusiasts. With the use of various lens adapters, mostly available on eBay, I have been able to put some of my favorite 35mm lenses besides Leica M lenses on the G1. I post several images. Thanks. Leica 77

Last edited:

peterb

OK the Fun with 4/3rds thread got diverted into a discussion about who was leading the micro four thirds movement.

In attempt to pull that thread back to being a place to share cool photos and engage in a little gentle banter I asked for a return to normal viewing with the following

Are you one of the moderators of this forum?

Peter

peterb

The Lumix G1 is an incredible little camera which appears to be made for many of us -- DSLR enthusiasts. With the use of various lens adapters, mostly available on eBay, I have been able to put some of my favorite 35mm lenses besides Leica M lenses on the G1. I post several images. Thanks. Leica 77
The G1 is quite the chameleon of digitals.:)

P

psurfer

I'm still as yet undecided. I've got a G1 (but no adptrs yet) and in some ways like it, very much. The LCD is great, and the camera Feels good.
But judging from using MF w/the kit lens, I'm not sure yet that I'll be satisfied using manual primes w/it.
That jump from viewing the full frame to a full Magnified frame I could maybe get used to for some very leisurely shooting situations, but for anything requiring any swiftness of focus/shoot action... And that EVF in low light...(ok, I'm sure it would look a little better through that f/0.95 !)

Btw, w/a MF lens mounted, I assume you can focus unmagnified, before activating the magn MF assist; can you toggle in/out of magn view (5x, 10x, to 1x)?
--You cannot do this w/the kit lens, other than by turning off MF assist in the menu. Otherwise, the only way to MF the kit lens w/out the magn jumping at you all the time, is when in AF, focus on something the camera cannot lock focus on, then MF while keeping shutter bttn half-pressed. But no magnification is available then, w/out starting all over again: half-press shutter, turn focus ring...

Leica 77

Hello Peter,
Indeed, the G1 is quite the chameleon of digitals and, it may become one of the champions of the new generation of digitals. By the way, thanks for the link to your fabulous images. Leica 77

kevinparis

quick responses from a very wet and cold paris

Brian

I agree that Panasonic should take advantge of our enthusiasm. We are in marketing speak 'key influencers' who will spread the word of the G1 not only to other enthusiasts but people we know who are interested in buying a new camera and need guidance through the decision making process.

But lets not delude ourselves - I am sure the G1's bought by people here represent a small fraction of the total sales. Anecdotal evidience i know - but was in a branch of Jessops just after christmas and they were saying that they had sold out of G1's over the Christmas period.

Personally I am holding off until Olympus show their hand, and hopefully the lens range is fleshed out with a small wide angle fast prime.

Leica77

Nice range of lenses... can we see some photos from these - post them on the fun forum to inspire. Of course you could have mounted any of those on a 4xx or 5xx with the same result

PeterB

As far as I know I am not a moderator... nor wish to be .. think that is Guy and Jacks territory.

Cheers
K

Brian Mosley

Leica 77, I note that 4 out of 5 of your lenses could have been mounted on a standard 4/3rds camera... I would love to see an Olympus E-4x0 with an EVF instead of a mirror - this would tap into the same enthusiasm we're seeing here for the G1 while remaining compatible with the whole range of pro level ZD lenses.

At the moment, we have to compromise on the range of designed for digital lenses in order to access our legacy lenses.

Kind Regards

Brian