The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Was the G1 made for us??

Diane B

I too, take care when making recommendations and in my first email back to him it was the pros and cons of each system. I definitely found from my forray into the Nikon world that the lens selection could either be disappointing or very big and heavy. Canon really doesn't seem to be that much different. Oly seems to have a much better lens lineup. Etc.

Where I think we differ a bit is that I believe even without the desire to use legacy lenses a G1 14-45, 45-200 and 20 f1.7 (assuming it is good) makes a very compelling kit.

Also, if the lens is good, the two lens 14-140 plus 20 f1.7 could also be a great set-up for a lot of people.

Every so often, try and pop off a shot or two using intelligent Auto. I think you will be surprised at how well the exposures come out.
I think you did the right thing in giving the pros and cons of the various systems. The other question to ask, IMO (and you may already have done this or know the answer) is--is this the first digital camera and how will you be using the camera--where, what for, will you print? I'm almost 70--I rarely mention it as it seems to automatically create a stereotype of me in others minds LOL. But--my choice of a camera, having shot for many years including film, and someone of my age who's choosing their first digital camera would be different. I also rarely use a camera for snapshots/casual shooting and that may very well be the primary interest for other older photographers (and I'm used to lugging heavy camera gear on hikes, urban shots, etc)--so size/weight, IS and portability may be a major concern. I've also found that a number of newer/older shooters really don't like changing lenses--that's a consideration for either choosing a kit lens or fixed lens camera.

I agree about the 14-45, 45-200 and 20 f/1.7 being a good setup for those of us without legacy lenses. I became interested in the G1 initially because I wanted an alternative to my 5D for long periods of carrying gear when photography isn't the main goal (hiking, full days of carrying camera gear in urban areas) and had tried the G9 and a used 400D/XTi this past year. I wasn't happy with either and so started following first the Sigma DP1 and then when the announcement of the G1 was made I made it a point to learn what I could about it.

I finally decided to buy the G1, am enjoying the 2 Panny lenses and know I need a fast standard particularly for my own needs--and probably a wide if I don't want to carry Canon gear. I may--or I may not--buy alternative lenses and adaptors--that decision will probably come after I see what Panasonic (and Olympus) come out with this year--or at least what they announce will be available this year--the earlier the better. I don't plan to sell most of my Canon gear--I have lenses I won't part with soon and situations I still feel I would rather shoot with the 5D, but, as I wrote on another forum--I am feeling much more confident shooting with the G1--and the level of 'fun' can't be beat *smile*.

Diane

Brian Mosley

Well, Diane you must have a young mind - I imagined you much younger ;)

All good points, and I think the 20mm f1.7, 14-140 HD and 7-14mm f4 couldn't have been better specified! I'm hoping they will be available by April.

Just read the dpreview and it didn't seem particularly insightful - no mention of the unique strengths and interest of the G1 for legacy lens owners. Doh! How did they miss that?!

And the last paragraph could be hinting in Oly's direction - we've been told to expect a surprise ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Leica 77

Leica77, I would be interested in seeing some shots through that tiny 17mm fisheye Takumar. Thanks.
Hello Vivek and Kevin,
Delighted to receive your feedback! Attached is a digital image recorded using my tiny 17mm fisheye Takumar. I used the G1's built in pop-up speedlight and the lens aperture was set @ f22. Best regards. Leica 77

barjohn

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that with no mirror, you don't get mirror slap vibration. That makes a significant difference in image sharpness as shown in diglloyd's blog site.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just read the dpreview and it didn't seem particularly insightful - no mention of the unique strengths and interest of the G1 for legacy lens owners. Doh! How did they miss that?!

And the last paragraph could be hinting in Oly's direction - we've been told to expect a surprise ;)

Kind Regards

Brian
dpreview's expertise is in the field of pixel mathematics. Photography is an unknown art to them.

Here in Thailand, the E-3 has been on fire-sale for a couple of months now: Less than $2,000 for E-3 + 12-60mm + FL50R. Something is apparently happening backstage. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an m4/3 pro-body. Actually, I would be surprised if it wasn't. It would be very un-typical Olympus not to launch a camera like that, given the reaction to the G1 among pros and enthusiasts, and the fact that they "own" the technology.

Leica 77

Hello Kevin et al.
As per your feedback I post two more digital images recorded by my little Lumix G1. One was recorded using a Contax Distagon 18mm lens and the other with a Leica R Elmarit 19mm lens. Thanks. Best regards. Leica 77

Last edited:
V

Vivek

It would be very un-typical Olympus not to launch a camera like that, given the reaction to the G1 among pros and enthusiasts, and the fact that they "own" the technology.

Jorgen, I like that. As I already mentioned several times, Olympus are already in the game.;)

P

psurfer

I agree in feeling that Oly will be producing a great m4/3 cam, maybe more than one in fairly rapid succession. I think they see the format as their future.

And while I hope I'm wrong about this part, I do not expect much to be available for purchase from them any minute. Intro maybe soon, retail probably late.

Brian Mosley

I think there's a lot to suggest that Oly see 4/3rds standard as their future, with m4/3rds being an additional (much higher volume) income stream...

The tobacco tin mockup seems to be inspired by the hugely popular Pen F camera.

Kind Regards

Brian