Site Sponsors

Thread: Was the G1 made for us??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Was the G1 made for us??

OK the Fun with 4/3rds thread got diverted into a discussion about who was leading the micro four thirds movement.

In attempt to pull that thread back to being a place to share cool photos and engage in a little gentle banter I asked for a return to normal viewing with the following

"Please realise that Panasonic are not building their business plan on the niche market of people who want to attach expensive/obscure lenses to their g1. They are going after a much bigger if less knowledgeable market.

sure they have been kind enough to allow the facility to add older lenses... but that is not their focus if you excuse the pun"

This prompted a request from Brian to start a new thread to take the whole micro four thirds issue ot of the fun thread

so here we are... let the games begin... unleash the hounds of hell... let brave men (and women) speak honest and true...

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Was the G1 made for us??

Oh, sure it is certainly made for me! I had about 2 dozen primes that could be used on a m4/3rds camera (because of the short register).

The G1 is now warming them up for the anticipated arrival of a "real" m4/3rds cam from Olympus.

My earlier Epson comparison, I meant it. Most Leica users who bought an Epson R-D1s did not buy it because of Epson but in spite of that brand name.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The G1 is now warming them up for the anticipated arrival of a "real" m4/3rds cam from Olympus.

My earlier Epson comparison, I meant it. Most Leica users who bought an Epson R-D1s did not buy it because of Epson but in spite of that brand name.
    Two questions from this:

I still haven't heard what a real m4/3 is going to look like and how you are going to focus it

With your Epson comment what are you implying about Panasonic cameras? They seem to be doing a pretty darn good job to me....starting back with the Digilux 2 and its fantastic lens moving forward since then. Interesting that they seem to have cameras that are ending up in top positions in many different review categories (yes, mainly the small sensor cameras).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

missed your earlier epson comparison... but as far as i understand the RD-1 was a true vanity project. it was never designed as a sustainable revenue stream for Epson... just a a whim of their CEO.

MFt is a serious attempt at a moneymaking effort by panansonic and olympus. They have identified a niche in the market of people moving up from P +S yet intimidated by SLRS - they reckon this market to be maybe as much as 20 million cameras a year worldwide.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm
    Well, I've got one, and I'm very impressed, and I think the short register and the focusing on M lenses is splendid. The Image quality is excellent, the focusing is surprisingly fast, and in good light the viewfinder is better than one could have expected

But no - I don't think it's for me, I like optical viewfinders, and if I'm using M lenses, then I'd rather put them on an M . . .

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry:

I do not read online reviews and they do not influence what I buy or do not buy.

I am not a camera designer so, I am not qualified to make any suggestion as to who is going to implement what, how (even if I do who cares?).

I just happen to like Olympus' name. I am a "Zuikoholic".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Two questions from this:

I still haven't heard what a real m4/3 is going to look like and how you are going to focus it
    Well, plug in EVF? I don't think Olympus have announced enough.

Still, let's hope they provide a good answer, together with sensor based stabilisation (which will help).

I'm hoping so anyway, because the SLR-like form factor of the G1 simply makes me want to use an SLR . . . and using M lenses the blackout and review simply makes me want to stick the lens on an M8.

But that's just me - I do think it's a splendid and interesting camera

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    sure they have been kind enough to allow the facility to add older lenses... but that is not their focus if you excuse the pun"

K
    Oh, Kevin, I had some choice words popping in my thoughts to translate that "kind enough" phrase..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, plug in EVF? I don't think Olympus have announced enough.

Still, let's hope they provide a good answer, together with sensor based stabilisation (which will help).

I'm hoping so anyway, because the SLR-like form factor of the G1 simply makes me want to use an SLR . . . and using M lenses the blackout and review simply makes me want to stick the lens on an M8.

But that's just me - I do think it's a splendid and interesting camera
    I agree with that SLR lookalike (P&S camera form factor- my addition). The pop-up (which malfunctions 1/3 times when a non-kit lens is used) is the culprit. I will check the wiring and I may chop it off completely along with the LUMIX (I blacked it out now) plastered on it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Heh. Panasonic has even robbed some of us the ability to black out 'Lumix.' 'Redding' or 'Bluing' out just isn't the same.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

True!! If you discover a true black paint for that dreadful LUMIX advertisement (I paid for the camera and not that damned ugly spam), please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Please realise that Panasonic are not building their business plan on the niche market of people who want to attach expensive/obscure lenses to their g1. They are going after a much bigger if less knowledgeable market.

K
    Thanks Kevin,

I think that Panasonic may have been caught out by the interest of legacy lens owners in the G1... and may very well have been intending to go for a larger audience, but the influence of these happy early adopters who knew exactly what they wanted from the G1 should not be underestimated.

It will be in the interest of Panasonic to listen to these early adopters with a passion for their photography, and their classic legacy lenses... because they have such a major effect in setting the on-line tone towards m4/3rds.

I'm counting on this for Panasonic to deliver the firmware upgrade we've discussed here.

As for Olympus, they are in a superb position to see how influential early adopters can be towards a new camera release.

They've seen the overwhelming response to the tobacco tin mockup, and can adjust their design to give us in-body stabilisation and an EVF if they really want to have a massive success on their hands.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Lumix G1 is an incredible little camera which appears to be made for many of us -- DSLR enthusiasts. With the use of various lens adapters, mostly available on eBay, I have been able to put some of my favorite 35mm lenses besides Leica M lenses on the G1. I post several images. Thanks. Leica 77
    Last edited by Leica 77; 28th June 2009 at 22:16.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There sure are some eclectic lens collections used on G1s on this forum. Very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK the Fun with 4/3rds thread got diverted into a discussion about who was leading the micro four thirds movement.

In attempt to pull that thread back to being a place to share cool photos and engage in a little gentle banter I asked for a return to normal viewing with the following

Are you one of the moderators of this forum?

Peter
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    The Lumix G1 is an incredible little camera which appears to be made for many of us -- DSLR enthusiasts. With the use of various lens adapters, mostly available on eBay, I have been able to put some of my favorite 35mm lenses besides Leica M lenses on the G1. I post several images. Thanks. Leica 77
    The G1 is quite the chameleon of digitals.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

psurfer

I'm still as yet undecided. I've got a G1 (but no adptrs yet) and in some ways like it, very much. The LCD is great, and the camera Feels good.
    But judging from using MF w/the kit lens, I'm not sure yet that I'll be satisfied using manual primes w/it.
    That jump from viewing the full frame to a full Magnified frame I could maybe get used to for some very leisurely shooting situations, but for anything requiring any swiftness of focus/shoot action... And that EVF in low light...(ok, I'm sure it would look a little better through that f/0.95 !)

Btw, w/a MF lens mounted, I assume you can focus unmagnified, before activating the magn MF assist; can you toggle in/out of magn view (5x, 10x, to 1x)?
    --You cannot do this w/the kit lens, other than by turning off MF assist in the menu. Otherwise, the only way to MF the kit lens w/out the magn jumping at you all the time, is when in AF, focus on something the camera cannot lock focus on, then MF while keeping shutter bttn half-pressed. But no magnification is available then, w/out starting all over again: half-press shutter, turn focus ring...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Peter,
    Indeed, the G1 is quite the chameleon of digitals and, it may become one of the champions of the new generation of digitals. By the way, thanks for the link to your fabulous images. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

quick responses from a very wet and cold paris

Brian

I agree that Panasonic should take advantge of our enthusiasm. We are in marketing speak 'key influencers' who will spread the word of the G1 not only to other enthusiasts but people we know who are interested in buying a new camera and need guidance through the decision making process.

But lets not delude ourselves - I am sure the G1's bought by people here represent a small fraction of the total sales. Anecdotal evidience i know - but was in a branch of Jessops just after christmas and they were saying that they had sold out of G1's over the Christmas period.

Personally I am holding off until Olympus show their hand, and hopefully the lens range is fleshed out with a small wide angle fast prime.

Leica77

Nice range of lenses... can we see some photos from these - post them on the fun forum to inspire. Of course you could have mounted any of those on a 4xx or 5xx with the same result

PeterB

As far as I know I am not a moderator... nor wish to be .. think that is Guy and Jacks territory.

Cheers
    K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica 77, I note that 4 out of 5 of your lenses could have been mounted on a standard 4/3rds camera... I would love to see an Olympus E-4x0 with an EVF instead of a mirror - this would tap into the same enthusiasm we're seeing here for the G1 while remaining compatible with the whole range of pro level ZD lenses.

At the moment, we have to compromise on the range of designed for digital lenses in order to access our legacy lenses.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

quick responses from a very wet and cold paris

Brian

I agree that Panasonic should take advantge of our enthusiasm. We are in marketing speak 'key influencers' who will spread the word of the G1 not only to other enthusiasts but people we know who are interested in buying a new camera and need guidance through the decision making process.

But lets not delude ourselves - I am sure the G1's bought by people here represent a small fraction of the total sales. Anecdotal evidience i know - but was in a branch of Jessops just after christmas and they were saying that they had sold out of G1's over the Christmas period.

Personally I am holding off until Olympus show their hand, and hopefully the lens range is fleshed out with a small wide angle fast prime.

Cheers
    K
    Hi Kevin,

I think your mention of 'key influencers' guiding people we know towards buying the G1 doesn't make sense... I would only really recommend the G1 at the current price point to someone seriously interested in legacy prime lenses.

Anyone just looking for an ultra compact DSLR class cam would be pointed towards the E-410 or E-510... both offer the very best value for money available imho - especially when you factor in the range of lenses available in terms of cost vs performance.

Only if you can't find an E-410 or E-510 - the next best option being the E-420/E-520

The thing to realise is that magazine editors, reviewers and possibly buyers (e.g. for Jessops) monitor these forums to gauge the enthusiasm for a new camera - often we early adopters worldwide give the first information available. So you see, our influence becomes magnified into the mainstream... look at how long the dpreview (which is probably the most influential of all camera reviews) take to come out - ask yourself whether the dpreview staff read their own forums?

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian

Agree with your point that the 420/520 represents better value at the moment.. But Panasonic dont have anything in that space of the market.. just the G1... so they will be hoping rightly or wrongly that the early adopters will spread their message ... not the olympus one :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Brian,
    Thanks for your feedback! I agree with you that it would be very nice to have EVFs on 4xx and 5xx 4/3 cameras, especially when one uses manual-focus lenses. One of the features I enjoy most in using the new Lumix G1 is the ease of manual focusing through its precision EVF. When the view is enlarged in the EVF, it is nice to be able to accurately focus. Before the introduction of the G1, I tried AF-confirm lens adapters and custom installed split-image focusing screens on 4/3 cameras. I have more confidence in the EVF than the use of AF-confirm adapters or split-image focusing screens when I use manual lenses of repute. Best regards. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely agree Leica 77, the EVF + no flippy flappy mirror + articulating lcd makes the G1 a superb legacy lens cam.

I hope that Olympus can see the value now, in supporting legacy lens owners... the associated buzz is giving the G1 a fantastic takeoff in the general marketplace too!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian

Agree with your point that the 420/520 represents better value at the moment.. But Panasonic dont have anything in that space of the market.. just the G1... so they will be hoping rightly or wrongly that the early adopters will spread their message ... not the olympus one :-)
    Kevin, I'm not interested in spreading a message for either company - I'm interested in learning from fellow photographers and sharing my own experience of what works for me

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really don't understand the "value" statement of the E420 vs the G1 in terms of making a recomendation to a non enthusiast.

The price on the G1 has dropped so the gap is narrowing but there still is the major difference of image stabilization which for many, many users does make a difference worth paying for.
    In size and weight the G1 definitely still has an advantage for the G1 when lenses are factored in.
    I think it has been shown that while not fast (what kit lenses are?) the G1 kit lenses holds it's own vs the competition.
    The articulating LCD makes for more flexible shooting.
    Finally, it seems the sensor gives the best results yet for a 4/3 sensor.

Once you step up to the 520 the image stabilization issue goes away but we are now back into larger size (see Guys comparison pictures). In addition, some of the other G1 nicities listed above still apply and the price difference is even smalller.

I'm curious as to how you would tell somebody what the advantage of these two models is? I'm just going through this now with my friend's father so it has immmediate relevance to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry,

the E-410 / E-420 is considerably cheaper than the G1 + 4/3rds adapter - and will support the whole range of existing 4/3rds standard lenses with PDAF as well as CDAF.

If you need stabilisation with the E-410/E-420 you can add a stabilised lens (I have the PL 14-150 which is a superb lens - no doubt about the Leica involvement there)... but good technique and a fast lens can make a big difference there.

The biggest advantage of the G1 over both the E-420 and E-520 as a standard camera, is the articulating screen.

The extra couple of megapixels and weaker AA filter makes for sharper landscape images - but I do feel it necessary to shoot RAW to get the best quality, whereas you could argue jpeg shooters are very well served by Olympus.

I think the E-420 / E-520 are easier to use (the control panel just works really well to access configuration settings) and better all-round cams... for example, both have built in remote control for the FL50R flash units - you can control 3 flashes from the standard camera.

Hope that explains my preference. The G1 is *the* camera to recommend for legacy lens owners imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E420 body @B&H $380
    panny lens @ B&H $1100

E420 kit @ B&H $480
    Lenses no faster, no OIS, etc.

Panny G1
    From Prodigital on eBay $530
    45-200mm with my Panny discount $259

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

If you need stabilisation with the E-410/E-420 you can add a stabilised lens (I have the PL 14-150 which is a superb lens - no doubt about the Leica involvement there)... but good technique and a fast lens can make a big difference there.
    I was wondering what would happen if you put a O.I.S. lens on a stabilised Oly. For example the E3 or the E-520. Would you get an even more stable pocture with even less motion blurr?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica77, I would be interested in seeing some shots through that tiny 17mm fisheye Takumar. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E420 body @B&H $380
    panny lens @ B&H $1100

E420 kit @ B&H $480
    Lenses no faster, no OIS, etc.

Panny G1
    From Prodigital on eBay $530
    45-200mm with my Panny discount $259
    Thanks Terry, your figures confirm my post (I didn't think it necessary to prove my point by trawling the numbers - but thanks for taking the time).

p.s. That looks awfully expensive for a panny lens - but as you know it's not a lumix... and it works equally well on the G1, but just feels oddly unbalanced (as I'm sure your Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 does)

p.p.s. you didn't post the cost of the 4/3rds adapter - it's about 130 over here in the UK.

Kind Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Mosley; 19th January 2009 at 04:47.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually,
    I'm not trawling for numbers because as I said in my post I'm currently going through this real time for someone.

However, I don't think I can tell a 70 year old that they will be fine with the E420 kit with no OIS and a slow kit lens. So, to get OIS you are either going larger with the 5xx or going much more expensive with the Panny lens or paying $300 for OIS and the other nice things the G1 offers.

So, actually for my recommendation I actually don't think I will recommend the Oly 420 kit to him.

edit: Brian, if I take your PPS ($165) into consideration, it makes the 420 + Panny lens an even less cost effective way to get OIS and tips the balance further in favor of the G1.
    Last edited by Terry; 19th January 2009 at 05:11.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My 520 is for sale folks just a friendly reminder. I agree the 520 OLY is a much simpler camera in menu terms and functions and is a very nice and if you bought one cam it offers a lot in terms of system( for now). For me it is stuck between a D700 and a G1 which in reality I need the D700 but want the G1 for fun. Now having said that I have shot the OLY 520 for paid work and it works but need the D700 more for a more rounder fuller unit. The G1 for me is something I can throw in my bag or over my shoulder as a anywhere camera. Seriously I will buy a G1 but not sure as a Pro I can use it for pay. Hope that makes sense and is not considered snobbery but the G1 and the use of other lenses to me is the attraction and some of the features on it are just downright awesome and honestly for the 650 you pay for it the others should be ashamed they don't do a lot of cool things the G1 does. Makes you wonder how a 650 dollar camera has more features than cams costing 2 to 10 times as much. What really baffles me is just a couple features are not in my very expensive MF system. Regardless though the G1 represents a new and up and coming breed of cams and for the size of it and what you can do with it , I call that evolutionary and compelling. Please trust me those two words do NOT come out of my mouth very often if ever.

Now the question is asked was it made for us, I would say 90 percent of this forum probably not since most folks here are pretty advanced in photography, what is striking most of us though is it's ability to do something very different than any other cam and that is the attraction for us. It was intended market wise for a slightly better than a P&S shooter but they did not count on the rest of us that found some very neat added benefits to it. Let's be honest here they did not count on most of us buying it and using it in the fashion that is running rampant around here. Bottom line is this Pano is thrilled about it and so are we. That is a win win and that does not happen very often in the photo industry.

This cam reminds me of the first Canon 1ds that came out which till this day i think is still there best cam they ever made, maybe not the noise floor but the image quality and look they still have not matched. This G1 reminds me of that in a sense with image quality and look which is very very nice and competes very strongly with systems costing much more and this brings me back to my comment on evolutionary and compelling. Frankly they built a camera that exceeded there price tag. Very rare and I would not scream too loud or they may change it and ruin it for us.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually,
    I'm not trawling for numbers because as I said in my post I'm currently going through this real time for someone.

However, I don't think I can tell a 70 year old that they will be fine with the E420 kit with no OIS and a slow kit lens. So, to get OIS you are either going larger with the 5xx or going much more expensive with the Panny lens or paying $300 for OIS and the other nice things the G1 offers.

So, actually for my recommendation I actually don't think I will recommend the Oly 420 kit to him.

edit: Brian, if I take your PPS ($165) into consideration, it makes the 420 + Panny lens an even less cost effective way to get OIS and tips the balance further in favor of the G1.
    Hi Terry, I'm glad you had some of the numbers to hand - thanks, and another possible advantage for your 70yr young friend may be the EVF which is great for spectacle wearers.

This just illustrates that everyone has unique needs and wants, and it's dangerous to generalize with our recommendations. It's infact why I take the care to qualify my enthusiasm for the G1.

The pps cost only applies to the G1 by the way, making it $165 more expensive if you wish to access the full range of 4/3rds lenses.

If you don't need the flexibility of an interchangeable lens camera, has your friend considered the FZ28?

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still think that the amount of people buying the G1 for using legacy lenses is a tiny fraction of a percent relative to their world market for this camera and from panny's point of view, not only should their marketing be concentrating on their real customer base, but also on selling more panny lenses! That it would harm that fraction of a percent is no doubt utterly insignificant wishful thinking aside. This isn't a niche camera aimed at a niche market, it's a mainstream soccor mom's bridge camera with a market base so far from that of the epson as to be on a different planet.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoops Brian, my goof....I was thinking G1+panny14-150 on the adapter.

I did consider the FZ28 in the recommendation. The person asked me for a dslr recommendation between Nikon and Canon. I told him to consider the Panny and Oly options.

I too, take care when making recommendations and in my first email back to him it was the pros and cons of each system. I definitely found from my forray into the Nikon world that the lens selection could either be disappointing or very big and heavy. Canon really doesn't seem to be that much different. Oly seems to have a much better lens lineup. Etc.

Where I think we differ a bit is that I believe even without the desire to use legacy lenses a G1 14-45, 45-200 and 20 f1.7 (assuming it is good) makes a very compelling kit.

Also, if the lens is good, the two lens 14-140 plus 20 f1.7 could also be a great set-up for a lot of people.

Every so often, try and pop off a shot or two using intelligent Auto. I think you will be surprised at how well the exposures come out.

nei1

The leica V lux is now very cheap too Terry

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    The leica V lux is now very cheap too Terry
    Thanks, I gave my brother the FZ50 for his 40th birthday 1.5 years ago. It is a very good camera and it too was included in my recommendations . I actually didn't realize you could still find the v-lux lurking in stores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not going to recommend the G1 + 20mmf1.7 or G1 + 14-140 because they don't exist yet and a lot can happen in the meantime. Also, we don't know the pricing.

What I can wholeheartedly recommend is the G1 for legacy lens users. Sorry to disappoint those seeing the G1 as a killer entry level all purpose cam, but for me it's too restricted lens wise or too expensive and restricted with 4/3rds adapter.

That can change the moment a raft of m4/3rds lenses arrive and the body price drops... But for right now I would favour the FZ28 or E-4x0/E-5x0. As Guy mentions above, they may not be as much novel fun, but they deliver on IQ, ease of use and VFM.

I will try some more iAuto shooting - thanks for the suggestion Terry.

Wish I was in the USA right now... how's the atmosphere? We could do with some change over here too!

Kind Regards

Brian

nei1

With the economy as it is over here Britain is just a big antiques shop,and thats on the shelves,god knows whats lurking in the dark dusty corners!

Post Thanks / Like

I too, take care when making recommendations and in my first email back to him it was the pros and cons of each system. I definitely found from my forray into the Nikon world that the lens selection could either be disappointing or very big and heavy. Canon really doesn't seem to be that much different. Oly seems to have a much better lens lineup. Etc.

Where I think we differ a bit is that I believe even without the desire to use legacy lenses a G1 14-45, 45-200 and 20 f1.7 (assuming it is good) makes a very compelling kit.

Also, if the lens is good, the two lens 14-140 plus 20 f1.7 could also be a great set-up for a lot of people.

Every so often, try and pop off a shot or two using intelligent Auto. I think you will be surprised at how well the exposures come out.
    I think you did the right thing in giving the pros and cons of the various systems. The other question to ask, IMO (and you may already have done this or know the answer) is--is this the first digital camera and how will you be using the camera--where, what for, will you print? I'm almost 70--I rarely mention it as it seems to automatically create a stereotype of me in others minds LOL. But--my choice of a camera, having shot for many years including film, and someone of my age who's choosing their first digital camera would be different. I also rarely use a camera for snapshots/casual shooting and that may very well be the primary interest for other older photographers (and I'm used to lugging heavy camera gear on hikes, urban shots, etc)--so size/weight, IS and portability may be a major concern. I've also found that a number of newer/older shooters really don't like changing lenses--that's a consideration for either choosing a kit lens or fixed lens camera.

I agree about the 14-45, 45-200 and 20 f/1.7 being a good setup for those of us without legacy lenses. I became interested in the G1 initially because I wanted an alternative to my 5D for long periods of carrying gear when photography isn't the main goal (hiking, full days of carrying camera gear in urban areas) and had tried the G9 and a used 400D/XTi this past year. I wasn't happy with either and so started following first the Sigma DP1 and then when the announcement of the G1 was made I made it a point to learn what I could about it.

I finally decided to buy the G1, am enjoying the 2 Panny lenses and know I need a fast standard particularly for my own needs--and probably a wide if I don't want to carry Canon gear. I may--or I may not--buy alternative lenses and adaptors--that decision will probably come after I see what Panasonic (and Olympus) come out with this year--or at least what they announce will be available this year--the earlier the better. I don't plan to sell most of my Canon gear--I have lenses I won't part with soon and situations I still feel I would rather shoot with the 5D, but, as I wrote on another forum--I am feeling much more confident shooting with the G1--and the level of 'fun' can't be beat *smile*.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Diane you must have a young mind - I imagined you much younger

All good points, and I think the 20mm f1.7, 14-140 HD and 7-14mm f4 couldn't have been better specified! I'm hoping they will be available by April.

Just read the dpreview and it didn't seem particularly insightful - no mention of the unique strengths and interest of the G1 for legacy lens owners. Doh! How did they miss that?!

And the last paragraph could be hinting in Oly's direction - we've been told to expect a surprise

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Leica77, I would be interested in seeing some shots through that tiny 17mm fisheye Takumar. Thanks.
    Hello Vivek and Kevin,
    Delighted to receive your feedback! Attached is a digital image recorded using my tiny 17mm fisheye Takumar. I used the G1's built in pop-up speedlight and the lens aperture was set @ f22. Best regards. Leica 77

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Leica77. That Takumar is almost a pancake lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that with no mirror, you don't get mirror slap vibration. That makes a significant difference in image sharpness as shown in diglloyd's blog site.
    V/r John

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Just read the dpreview and it didn't seem particularly insightful - no mention of the unique strengths and interest of the G1 for legacy lens owners. Doh! How did they miss that?!

And the last paragraph could be hinting in Oly's direction - we've been told to expect a surprise

Kind Regards

Brian
    dpreview's expertise is in the field of pixel mathematics. Photography is an unknown art to them.

Here in Thailand, the E-3 has been on fire-sale for a couple of months now: Less than $2,000 for E-3 + 12-60mm + FL50R. Something is apparently happening backstage. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an m4/3 pro-body. Actually, I would be surprised if it wasn't. It would be very un-typical Olympus not to launch a camera like that, given the reaction to the G1 among pros and enthusiasts, and the fact that they "own" the technology.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Kevin et al.
    As per your feedback I post two more digital images recorded by my little Lumix G1. One was recorded using a Contax Distagon 18mm lens and the other with a Leica R Elmarit 19mm lens. Thanks. Best regards. Leica 77
    Last edited by Leica 77; 28th June 2009 at 20:42.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It would be very un-typical Olympus not to launch a camera like that, given the reaction to the G1 among pros and enthusiasts, and the fact that they "own" the technology.

Jorgen, I like that. As I already mentioned several times, Olympus are already in the game.

psurfer

I agree in feeling that Oly will be producing a great m4/3 cam, maybe more than one in fairly rapid succession. I think they see the format as their future.

And while I hope I'm wrong about this part, I do not expect much to be available for purchase from them any minute. Intro maybe soon, retail probably late.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think there's a lot to suggest that Oly see 4/3rds standard as their future, with m4/3rds being an additional (much higher volume) income stream...

The tobacco tin mockup seems to be inspired by the hugely popular Pen F camera.

Kind Regards

Brian