The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica/pan 15mm or zeiss/sony 55 mm

Martin S

I am fortunate to have both the Sony A7 and the Panasonic Gm-1. I have a photo shoot coming up that involves shooting a new born in low light.
I have an apples, and oranges question. I am deciding between a 55mm Zeiss.Sony or a Leica/Panasonic 15mmm. Which lens?? A little more info. I prefer the angle of view of the 15mm. I hear that the 55mm is exceptional, but is $400 more. Rental is not likely as I need a fast lens anyway.So which one?? Micro 4/3 or full frame??

Martin

G43

I don't know. But the PL 15mm 1.7 is a very average 43 lens showing quite an amount of edge softness. A lens by design that requires a lot of in camera or external correction.

pasuay

I have both lens. I think both are very good. It really depends on ur needs. I recently shot a GH4 and A7s comparison. It's not Zeiss 55 on the A7s but I think leica 35 1.4 is not worse eiher =)

Panasonic GH4 with LEICA 15mm f1.7

Sony A7s with LEICA SUMMILUX-M 35mm f1.4 ASPH

ggibson

Both great sound like great lenses. I might consider other issues:

-"Low light" would definitely favor using the A7. Great colors still up to ISO 6400!

-There might be noise advantages to shooting with the GM1 since it's a newborn. Don't want to wake the little one if sleeping shots are planned! A7 is loud, while the GM1 has an electronic shutter for silence.

retow

Fast AF, low ligh AF capability, moving the focus point quickly via touch screen, silent shutter, speak for the GM1. MF focus peaking works fine with both. I assume IQ differences of a good mft versus among best in class FF sensor are understood.